What have you been watching on (proper scripted) telly?

Dynamite Duane

Yeah I thought it was the point but still, it's strange. I always thought Tony was this beloved character, but it's obvious he's iconic and charismatic rather than universally loved.

The rape scene was horrific for sure. One of the most uncomfortable things I've ever seen on TV.

• Awards Moderator

The thing is I (and I assume most people) are screaming at the TV, "Melfi, just tell Tony and his guys will fuck him up!" And then you catch yourself and realise you're advocating some bad vigilante stuff. Supremely clever.

The thing is I (and I assume most people) are screaming at the TV, "Melfi, just tell Tony and his guys will fuck him up!" And then you catch yourself and realise you're advocating some bad vigilante stuff. Supremely clever.

Haha yep! I really thought she was going to as well. It's an ace TV show. Can't believe I left it this long to start watching it.

• Paid Members

Nah, I don't think you're meant to empathise with her at all. Tony points it out quite a few times that she knows exactly where the money comes from and how many people go in the ground so that she can live the life of luxury.  She's also pretty aware that Tony has his "gumars" but never puts up much of a fight about it.  She loves being the wife of the boss, it's just not meant to be blatantly obvious.

The only guy I ever felt any sympathy for was Bobby Bacala, always seemed like the good guy who ran with the wrong crowd just so he could put food on his kids' plate.

Nah, I don't think you're meant to empathise with her at all. Tony points it out quite a few times that she knows exactly where the money comes from and how many people go in the ground so that she can live the life of luxury. She's also pretty aware that Tony has his "gumars" but never puts up much of a fight about it. She loves being the wife of the boss, it's just not meant to be blatantly obvious.

The only guy I ever felt any sympathy for was Bobby Bacala, always seemed like the good guy who ran with the wrong crowd just so he could put food on his kids' plate.

Totally agree. I feel no sympathy for Carmella either.

Bobby seems a good guy. I like Silvio a lot too. He seems more like the voice of reason despite being ruthless when needed.

It's just a wonderful selection of psychopathic characters though.

• Paid Members

Yeah fuck Carmela. A total hypocrite and arrogant materialistic self deluded woman.

Bobby is the only true innocent in it. Maybe Adrianna who got sucked up into it because she's an idiot but genuinely loved Christopher.

• Paid Members

I found myself rooting for Tony, in this 'I know he's bad but there's good inside him' kind of way. The mafioso activity I obviously didn't mind, but I wanted him to be true to his wife and family and a be good role model for Christopher. All the way through I was behind him...

...until he killed Christopher. That did it for me, he truly became a cold-hearted monster then. Fuck him, wanted him dead after that.

Edit: Silvio is class, so class in fact that you all should watch Lillyhammer. It's basically Silvio in rural Norway trying to turn the place into a twisted little mob village.

Edited by PunkStep

• Paid Members

I found myself rooting for Tony, in this 'I know he's bad but there's good inside him' kind of way. The mafioso activity I obviously didn't mind, but I wanted him to be true to his wife and family and a be good role model for Christopher. All the way through I was behind him...

...until he killed Christopher. That did it for me, he truly became a cold-hearted monster then. Fuck him, wanted him dead after that.

Edit: Silvio is class, so class in fact that you all should watch Lillyhammer. It's basically Silvio in rural Norway trying to turn the place into a twisted little mob village.

My interpretation of it wasn't that he killed him out of cold-heartedness, it was that Christopher was too volatile and too much of a liability to keep around. He was about to promote him to his right hand man but he was completely smacked out his tits during the conversation.  After he rolled the car Tony noticed Christopher's baby's seat in the back completely mangled from the crash, I think Tony seen it as a "what could have happened" situation and decided to take him out before he done any serious damage to anyone else.

That's what I love about The Sopranos, there's so much left open to the viewers' interpretation.

Haha yep! I really thought she was going to as well. It's an ace TV show. Can't believe I left it this long to start watching it.

Your fortunate that you don't have to go through the feeling of waiting  an age between series. I'm sure one gap was 2.5 years.

It's my favourite show of all time it really is, and I had one mate who was just as in to it as me.

Remember E4/C4 absolutely fucking about with it in the listings? 11.00pm, 11.30pm etc. Unbelievable.

Anyway, he was at uni when the final series (not season, I'm not American) aired, and I didn't want to wait for the UK airing date, so I got them all on disc, burnt him a copy, and sent it up to Leeds.

Now, this is really sad, but we were both so into it, that we synchronised the start of the final ever episode over the phone and then called each other straight away, so that neither one of us knew more than the other.

Reading that back, that is really, really sad.

• Awards Moderator

And continuing that other thread, they practically cross over into Sopranos at one point.