What have you been watching on (proper scripted) telly?

Dynamite Duane

I was really torn on that because it had Drew Barrymore in it and looks really shit but on the other hand, Olyphantastic is in it. Was it really a great show?

My new favourite tv show is Master of None. I can't put my finger on why I love it but I find it extremely watchable without having much of a gag reel. Every now and then though he'll deliver a line a certain way or pull a certain subtle expression and it has me in stitches.

• Paid Members
On 4/23/2019 at 6:24 PM, wordsfromlee said:

Me and the missus watched all of this over the bank holiday weekend and loved it. 

Some really funny bits as well as really great serious drama. A really brilliant mix. A lot of comedies try to pull off serious drama too but not many succeed like this show does. Daisy Haggard wrote it as well as staring in it too. I’d love to see more from her

I can see this slipping under the radar a bit but I shouldn’t. It’s great. 

On the recommendations here, I thought I would give the first episode of Back to Life. Almost 3 hours later I had watched the lot. Other then the plot with her old boyfriend, I thought it was a great series, and would love to see a follow up.

On 4/25/2019 at 12:06 PM, Factotum said:

Its odd to even attempt to go after Black Mirror though now. Its become the byword for a generation what 'Twilight Zone' was for an older one.

I dunno it feels different enough. Maybe because Twilight Zone tends to go for supernatural ideas, or that it feels TZ is more about a unique thing happening to a person and the story that comes from that (rather than Black Mirror is about a story within a world that is already different). I'm actually preferring TZ but BM never quite did it for me in the same way it did others (I felt it erred towards being more interesting in the idea rather than the characters dealing with the idea - there are obvious exceptions I know..)

Yeah I've never felt like Black Mirror was ever trying to replace Twilight Zone really. I enjoy both a lot but the stories are different enough to justify the existence of both. Twilight Zone has been renewed so I'm happy about that.

Was there a Twilight Zone episode where somebody had some kind of technology embedded into their body and it really comes back to bite them on the arse? If so then it's definitely like Black Mirror 

• Paid Members

Did anyone catch Chernobyl on Sky Atlantic tonight? It has to be one of the most tense dramas I’ve seen in a while. My stomach was in knots watching the events unfold and the realisation of the enormity of the situation.

The cover-up of what actually happened in the immediate aftermath (and for years later) by the USSR was immense. It’s about time the story was told. HBO have done well with this one. Definitely worth a watch.

Edited by Monkee

• Paid Members

Oh, is it HBO? I liked the look of it from the advert, but for some reason thought it was a Sky original production- which translates loosely to 'a load of old shite'. I'll give it a watch now knowing it's HBO.

• Paid Members

Yeah, it’s on Sky Atlantic but it’s an HBO production. I know a guy who was in it but I think his part got cut as he’s not in the IMDB credits any more.

18 hours ago, PunkStep said:

Oh, is it HBO? I liked the look of it from the advert, but for some reason thought it was a Sky original production- which translates loosely to 'a load of old shite'. I'll give it a watch now knowing it's HBO.

It's a co production between HBO and Sky. Created and written by the mastermind behind Scary Movie 3 & 4 and The Hangover 2 & 3.

Edited by wordsfromlee