What have you been watching on (proper scripted) telly?

Dynamite Duane

I've read a couple of spoiler free reviews this morning that were positively glowing. 

I genuinely only found out they had made it a few weeks ago and I'm really excited. I've not seen one trailer for it on Sky Atlantic and only stumbled across it while I was setting the recorder for UFC this morning. It looks like the whole cast is back.

• Paid Members

Anyone who knows me, knows that there are four TV Shows I hold above everything - excluding my children. Aliens (the movie, not some L Ron inspired cultism) and Mike Patton - and they are Spaced, Black Books, Brisco County Jr and Deadwood (also Crow : Stairway to Heaven but I have my reasons and they are 90's).

This was perfect. I welled up, it was that good because I just didn't expect this to ever happen and I'm so happy it happened the way it did. Beautiful. Stunning. Harrowing. Perfect. 

Edited by Scott Malbranque

• Paid Members

Binge-watched all of Good Omens over the weekend.

I don't know if I enjoyed it more or less than I would have done had I not re-read the book recently. It's very good, and the issues I take with it are really just nit-picking - there's some scenes/lines from the book I love that sadly didn't make the cut, some of the effects are a bit too ropey for the more ambitious scenes to really land, and I don't think the "voice of God" narration works. I get that Pratchett's authorial voice is difficult to capture on TV, and that this is probably the best way to manage it, but what in the book can be an amusing diversion or aside, in TV feels like it breaks up the narrative a little too much. And there are points, particularly in the final episode, where the narrator is just describing what's happening on-screen, which feels redundant. 

The positives, though, are that it does a fantastic job of capturing the spirit of the book (though maybe a tad too twee in places), and the new additions feel appropriate, and work in modernising/updating the material where necessary. The casting is superb - Tenant and Sheen are fantastic in particular, but there's some really inspired choices in the supporting cast too. At times it feels like Tenant and Sheen are almost too good, in that you're disappointed when the story's not following them. They'll keep the cosplay and fanfiction markets in business for a few years, for sure.

I saw a snobby review that said it didn't have the right sense of immediacy for a series about the apocalypse, and how daft it was for the final episode to carry on for some 20 minutes after the apocalypse has been averted, which felt like a sub-Film Studies level of criticism. It's such a surface reading to think that the only thing a story is "about" is the one-line precis. It's not really "about" averting the apocalypse any more than it's about dogma, faith, friendship, childhood, and whatever else.

Most of all, it just felt like a real labour of love. I could do with going back and watching it just to look for Easter eggs and whatnot. I've already seen a few references to Doctor Who, American Gods, to Terry Pratchett, and to passages of the book that didn't make the cut, and can only assume there's dozens more to find.

Been watching Barry recently. Such an incredibly well-made show and really, really funny. I watched the first episode on a plane months ago and liked it but never followed up.

Glad I went back to it. Just watched the episode five of the second season (Ronny/Lily) and it might be one of my single favourite episodes of any show ever. 

• Awards Moderator

I watched Chernobyl over three nights. What an incredible piece of television. Harrowing and exacting in the details, but never exploitative. 

It's the screenwriting that's the genius. It doesn't stray from the truth but uses ciphers to help guide you through the horrendous and unusual situations. Performances are universally outstanding with Jared Harris of course being incredible; a mix of powerless authority, desperation and guilt. The final episode is a culmination of so much human debt I wouldn't be surprised if Jared broke down afterwards. 

Mrs Onyx commented that you don't realise how many heroes there were. You experience first hand just how much ruddy work is required to make it safe (relatively) and it's a monumental, thankless task. 

HBO also have an accompanying 'director's commentary' style podcast for each episode which is well worth a listen.

https://feeds.megaphone.fm/thechernobylpodcast

• Paid Members

I had set aside a couple of days to binge watch Chernobyl and found I couldn't do it. It's brilliant, but I would genuinely struggle to watch more than one episode at a time, it's just uncompromisingly grim. That is a compliment, mind.

• Paid Members

I watched the first episode of a show called SMILF on Sky box sets. Anyone seen it? I only watched it because of the name but quite liked it. It's a strange beast. Some very gratuitous sex and nudity and a pretty grim outlook but has a nice feel. Not entirely sure how I stumbled across it but gave it a shot and it was OK. Got shit-canned after 2 series though.