What have you been watching on (proper scripted) telly?

Dynamite Duane

• Paid Members

Finished Line of Duty last night. First season is passable with some truly laughably unnatural dialogue. 2nd is ok. 3rd season is where it definitely elevates itself to something worth your time - that finale episode is something really special. 4th season maintains this momentum and features some gripping performances and turns.

Anyway, the 5th is ok but

I never once bought into H being Hastings, which meant it dragged a little. It was also a bit confusing some of the convoluted plot points. The twist at the end was alright, but definitely a bit of downward curve from the 3rs and 4th, which are truly excellent.

• Paid Members

Did anyone give the two big new terrestrial dramas this week a go?

I missed the first 20 mins of BBC One's Years and Years and so I'm not quite sure what to make of it, or how much context was set for the events to follow, but the last few minutes were pretty compelling as what started as a glimpse into the lives of a fairly ordinary family, albeit too diverse for many on Twitter it would seem, descended into Britain thrust into the middle of a nuclear war.  If I'm honest, I was more confused than excited by it, but intrigued enough to tune in again next week to witness the fall out (no pun intended).

The Virtues on the other hand.  I mean, similarly vague at this point as I appreciate most first episodes are, but fuck me, Stephen Graham is a force of nature isn't he?  I can't think of another actor past or present, who I find so gut wrenchingly unsettling to watch.  Knowing nothing about the way this story is to pan out, there were a few moments where I expected him to explode in a violent rage, I mean christ.  The toll a performance like that must take on an actor doesn't bear thinking about, and this was just episode one.  Cracking stuff.  The man is phenomenal.  

5 minutes ago, Mr_Danger said:

Why, has it been good?

*pushes glasses up bridge of nose with index finger as laughter track roars*

It was genuinely the most none important final episode of any program ever let alone one on there 12th season 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Kfogg1991 said:

Anyone watch the final episode of big bang theory. What a poor finish for it but it hasnt been the same in about 4 seasons

Everyone always told me I should watch Big Bang Theory as being into comic books and wrestling and generally being a man child it should appeal to me. Essentially they were calling me a geek. I have never watched a show trying so hard to be funny fail. Just absolutely woeful. It won't be missed by me

• Paid Members

Just binged watched all the "Mum" series from the start(including the new third series that is all on the iPlayer). I love that show, and have a proper crush on Cathy!

It's one of those shows where you feel you intimately know all the characters, and actually care how their lives play out!

Edited by Cod Eye
blurb

47 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

Everyone always told me I should watch Big Bang Theory as being into comic books and wrestling and generally being a man child it should appeal to me. Essentially they were calling me a geek. I have never watched a show trying so hard to be funny fail. Just absolutely woeful. It won't be missed by me

You know what the first 5 or so seasons were amazing. A series aimed at the "geeks or nerds" in society it was fantastic then it suffered from its own success like friends did and so many others and just became really bad and almost went against everything it stood for 

It wasn't aimed at geeks and nerds though, it was aimed at non geeks and nerds and their perception of what geeks and nerds are like.

But I'm interested in what it initially stood for and how it sold out those principles.

Edited by Keith Houchen
I HAVE ASPERGERS, OH HE WENT THERE.

• Moderators
2 hours ago, John Matrix said:

The Virtues on the other hand.  I mean, similarly vague at this point as I appreciate most first episodes are, but fuck me, Stephen Graham is a force of nature isn't he?  I can't think of another actor past or present, who I find so gut wrenchingly unsettling to watch.  Knowing nothing about the way this story is to pan out, there were a few moments where I expected him to explode in a violent rage, I mean christ.  The toll a performance like that must take on an actor doesn't bear thinking about, and this was just episode one.  Cracking stuff.  The man is phenomenal.  

Great performance, sure, but after this, Shane Meadows needs to move on from this miserablist period. Mostly it was powerful stuff, especially the pub scene, but when he woke up all covered in vomit, it was a bit "this again."

This is England (the TV show) was such a horrible disappointment of rape scenes followed by sad piano montages of someone who's just been raped, and it seems like he's still locked in that mode of long, improvised scenes centred on people seething with misery. If this is headed towards another classic Meadows 'everything hinges on a horrible act of violence', then I'm out until he changes tack.

It always seemed like he was trying to rid his demons by putting them on the page, as the press/commentaries for Romeo Brass, Dead Man's Shoes, and This is England all repeatedly refer to a brutal act of violence he saw as a kid that inspired all those films, and judging by the heartbreaking interview he did with the Guardian recently, this is more of the same. I get why, just, life's shit enough without sitting through another show where you're watching unbearable horrors get piled on top of the characters really, really slowly.