Dynamite Duane

What have you been watching on (proper scripted) telly?

5 hours ago, SuperBacon said:

After Life

The Office is one of my top 5 shows of all time. 

I loved Extras too.

Chuck him in the 'Best work was with a co-writer who filtered out their shit' pile with Peter Kay

3 hours ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

I have been recording Baptiste to binge watch. May start tonight, any thoughts on it thus far?

Very average. No where near as good as The Missing.

1 hour ago, wordsfromlee said:

Very average. No where near as good as The Missing.

Balls. I’m going to give it a go anyway but I’ll lower those expectations 

It was never going to be as good without Abi Hardingham on screen. But yeah, it's not as good and takes some Luther-like shock tactics but I've been enjoying it enough.

After Life is ok. It suffers a great deal from Gervais feeling the need to have his character spell out what just happened in a scene, in case the audience missed it - probably because he assumes we're all too thick for his clunky writing. My favourite one:

When he's in the bath about to slit his wrists and stops when his dog walks in looking for him. Right after Gervais' character says something as clumsy as "I'd kill myself if it wasn't for you needing fed". Something he clearly set up at the beginning.

It's all so unnecessary because Gervais is hardly subtle with the pen or camera, these days.

9 hours ago, chokeout said:

Chuck him in the 'Best work was with a co-writer who filtered out their shit' pile with Peter Kay

And Vince Russo.

I've pretty much avoided anything Ricky Gervais has done for several years. I only ever revisit his early shows and stand up. Through boredom I decided to watch After Life and found myself enjoying it for the most part. It's hammy in parts and a few recycled gags from his early work, but I found it quite endearing. And quite relatable in a way. 

He obviously had to throw in some racism and homophobia. As usual, completely unnecessary and really not needed. Shit like that just diminishes all the good things in it. 

I particularly enjoyed his scenes with Penelope Wilton. 

I expect downvotes for this.

My other half has been watching New Girl so it's been on in the background.  I've really warmed to it and think it's far better than I thought it would be.  I'm only on season 3 so there is plenty of time for it to go downhill.  They are all annoying characters but Schmidt is my favourite because he is an out and out arsehole.

Bonus points for the season 2 finale having a cameo for TayTay, who was brilliant, of course.

Binged on the 3 series of Mr Robot as well.  It's a bit silly but in a good way.  Some of the episodes in the third season were gripping television.  Portia Doubleday has been the standout for me, her character evolution has been fantastic. And BD Wong in anything is a plus.

Yeah I liked New Girl. I think I got bored around season 3 but it was fine to have on and was something me and my wife could actually tolerate watching together. Schmidt is clearly the highlight but I did warm to Zooey Deschanel.

We’ve watched New Girl up to the last season, but didn’t realise when it reappeared on E4 earlier this year / late last year / whenever it was. When it turns up on Prime is it worth watching for completion’s sake or does it continue the downward spiral of quality?

Season 5 was quite good as Zooey Deschanel wasn't in half the episodes and she is the worst character in the show. It meant it got to focus more on Schmit and Nick which I'm all for as they're great. If I had it my way, the show would focus soley on their friendship as I couldn't give a fuck about Jess.

Was Season 5 the one with Megan Fox? She was such a better character than Jess that it killed the rest of the season for me once Jess returned. 

I've been binging on The Sinner for the past couple of days and it's pretty damn good, it's not too dissimilar to a True Detective or Sharp Objects with it's edgy and twisty mysteries. It never quites hits the same highs as those but is still really worth watching.