Dynamite Duane

What have you been watching on (proper scripted) telly?

On 3/29/2019 at 5:16 PM, Factotum said:

Early Doors was great. They are doing, or have done, a stage show version of it (which can totally work)

Third series now would work wonderfully.

went to see the stage show at Leeds Arena, it was terrific - it had a number of the original cast, and the replacements weren't too bad. it was a new story and was genuinely funny. really good stuff. thoroughly enjoyed it. I'd love a third series.

Just hopped on the Line of Duty bandwagon. Lenny James, as shit as he is actually plays the smug arrogant wanker role pretty well. I've heard there's a fairly steep upward curve after the first series which will be welcome as I have enjoyed the first series so far but it's a bit pound shop season one of The Wire at times.

There's also a couple of coppers on the beat that pop up every episode with terrible dialogue that's goes like, "Hey young upstart copper don't do that, oh great we've gotta do loads of paper work now!" I half expect the chap out of Don't be a menace to South central whilst drinking your juice in the hood to appear and yell "Message!" 

On 3/29/2019 at 12:47 PM, Louch said:

Still Game had its final episode last night. Last few series since they came back have Been a bit lacking, but went out on a lovely ending that I haven’t seen any grief on social media about. Quite glad really, for all its given to Scottish pop culture it deserved to go out on a high

On 3/29/2019 at 5:02 PM, ColinBollocks said:

I've quite enjoyed the two seasons since they got back together. I was worried after seeing their first Hydro comeback show, as it was proper shite, but the past two seasons have done a good job.

The closing of the final episode was beautiful. 

Completely agree that the ending was a very good way to go out. I've not really enjoyed the last couple of series after the first comeback episode. This probably resonates a bit with complaints on-topic on this board but I just don't think it looks right. It doesn't suit HD at all and Isa, Winston and Shugg have never looked right. The new characters are mostly shite and there haven't been any interesting stories that didn't feel like a retread. It's one of my all-time favourites so I'm glad they've put the bullet in it now rather than watch it decline.

Early Doors absolutely shouldn't come back. I say that as someone who loves it and re-watches it often. I went to and loved the stage show but it worked because it called back to the episodes and characters and tied up some loose ends. It was a nice bit of nostalgia but leave it be. I dread it becoming another Royle Family.

27 minutes ago, Mr_Danger said:

Just hopped on the Line of Duty bandwagon. Lenny James, as shit as he is actually plays the smug arrogant wanker role pretty well. I've heard there's a fairly steep upward curve after the first series which will be welcome as I have enjoyed the first series so far but it's a bit pound shop season one of The Wire at times.

There's also a couple of coppers on the beat that pop up every episode with terrible dialogue that's goes like, "Hey young upstart copper don't do that, oh great we've gotta do loads of paper work now!" I half expect the chap out of Don't be a menace to South central whilst drinking your juice in the hood to appear and yell "Message!" 

It certainly does. Season 3 is probably my favourite but they increase considerably after the first run. And thankfully hasn't dipped so far either.

With Deutschland 86 on telly at the moment, I thought I'd finally get round to watching Deutschland 83.

A few episodes in and I'm really enjoying it, although I think it's going to give me an anxiety attack sooner or later. It's clear Linda is going to end up heartbroken or dead or both or something worse and I don't think I'll be able to cope because she's so nice.

Fuck sake :(

Edited by PunkStep

The trailer for Too Old To Die Young is hilariously terrible.

What the fuck happened to Refn at all.

He's trying to be a commercial, more accessible Gaspar Noe, and disappearing up his own japs eye in the process. Shocking carry on out of him, these days.

William Baldwin seems to be a name I've seen pop up more often than I'd like these days. The Purge TV Show, Northern Rescue, Too Old to Die Young, and I only saw a trailer for Backdraft 2 last night because the missus shoved her phone in my face telling me that we're going to see it in the flicks. Told her that wasn't happening for more reasons than the fact I don't want to...

He really did used to be such a good filmmaker and now he's a one-trick pony who's misplaced of all the substance in films like the Pusher series.

I think the plaudits that he got for Drive - with it being such a 'cool' looking and sounding movie - was the catalyst for him going balls deep with a neon colour palette base on every subsequent flick he made.

Was the Pusher remake any use? It's on my hard drive, but I've never got past the opening credits...

Only God Forgives was a massive disappointment. I was really looking forward to it after Refn/Gosling both combining for Drive.

11 minutes ago, Scott Malbranque said:

Was the Pusher remake any use? It's on my hard drive, but I've never got past the opening credits...

I never bothered with it. Pusher 3 is his best film though, absolutely loved it.

21 hours ago, Scott Malbranque said:

I think the plaudits that he got for Drive - with it being such a 'cool' looking and sounding movie - was the catalyst for him going balls deep with a neon colour palette base on every subsequent flick he made.

This. I think it's pretty obvious that when directors get crazy critical acclaim for something they lean into it. Auteur theory has a lot to answer for.

We're on to series 3 of Line of Duty and the missus just came out with this pearler "It's all about dodgy cops this isn't it," I mean she's not wrong like. Series 2 was some good shit but Arnott is no Mcnulty is he. He had one line where he used the term "triple 9" instead of 999. Dork.