Dynamite Duane

What have you been watching on (proper scripted) telly?

I managed one episode of After Life. It seems like the Ricky Gervais school of comedy writing is if you can't come up with a joke, just say 'cunt' instead. He must have had a rule where the word had to feature at least once a page.

It's clear to see Stephen Merchant was the brains of that writing duo. Hello Ladies was infinitely better than any of Gervais' solo work.

1 hour ago, wordsfromlee said:

I managed one episode of After Life. It seems like the Ricky Gervais school of comedy writing is if you can't come up with a joke, just say 'cunt' instead. He must have had a rule where the word had to feature at least once a page.

It's clear to see Stephen Merchant was the brains of that writing duo. Hello Ladies was infinitely better than any of Gervais' solo work.

It does not remain that way as the episodes go on. It’s as good as Derek 

I've not watched After Life but outside of here, everything I've read has been positive. On here, not so much.

I didn’t mind it, but then again I not seen much Gervais other than the XFM show & Podcasts so haven’t had my opinion of him sullied. I’ve never watched The Office, and the only stand-up show of his I’ve seen was Animals

Edited by WyattSheepMask

4 hours ago, Astro Hollywood said:

robot wtf GIF

Thanks for the nightmares. What I was trying to get at was if you liked that, you’ll probably like After Life. I appreciate Gervais is polarising without Merchant.

That's a textbook example of damning with faint praise. because having a doctor shove a finger in my ring to check for polyps is as entertaining as Derek.

1 hour ago, Rey_Piste said:

That's a textbook example of damning with faint praise. because having a doctor shove a finger in my ring to check for polyps is as entertaining as Derek.

I liked Derek, I liked After Life

9 minutes ago, Rey_Piste said:

@Hannibal Scorch

So what's your feeling about Mrs Brown's Boys?

Fucking hate it.

though I also use that barometer on people

Other half recently became obsessed with Outlander. 90% of the shows she watches go well over my head and when she initially described the premise to me I really wasn't on board. After begging me to give it a try I promised I'd watch the first episode with her, knowing full well I wasn't going to pay much attention to it and wouldn't be the slightest bit arsed. Time travel to ancient Scotland? Come on. 

...So of course I'm hooked now as well and we've planned an entire Scotland trip around the locations from it in August. For fuck's sake.

I watched that documentary on that Fyre festival yesterday and I thought it was hilarious, such a disaster.

I also enjoyed watching that documentary called Gringo about John McAfee, I assumed it would end with him dead or behind bars but was surprised to see how it ended for him.

Binge watched the new Arrested Development last night. Really enjoyed it, considerably more than the first half of the series - though some really glaringly obvious dubbing/ADR throughout was distracting as hell.

"You have to uncheck 'presume teeth'", is an all-time great line, and I loved the Cabaret in-joke. 

That they're downplaying the Howard family stuff (which I never really cared for, and felt a bit self-indulgent), and going back to intricate family dynamics and fun wordplay makes it feel far more in line with the first couple of seasons. The only real downside was the Tobias sub-plot, which didn't really go anywhere, wasn't funny, and relied on characters I don't care about.

1 hour ago, BomberPat said:

Binge watched the new Arrested Development last night. Really enjoyed it, considerably more than the first half of the series - though some really glaringly obvious dubbing/ADR throughout was distracting as hell.

This seems to be a on-going trend with American sitcoms lately, as I noticed this a lot with The Good Place (another Netflix show, coincidentally).