Sign in to follow this  
Dynamite Duane

What have you been watching on (proper scripted) telly?

16 hours ago, jazzygeofferz said:

The mentality is that every episode finish on a big cliffhanger to try and entice you back for the net episode. I can kind of see the mentality behind it. 

I understand the concept of a cliff hanger, but the sudden way the episodes end (credits rapidly scrolling whilst the episode is only just being wrapped up) give me less reason to carry on, but I guess that is what we'll be getting more of now that 'binge culture' is more of a mainstream past time.

"Don't change to something else! Look, the next episode is all ready starting! What now?!"

Edited by Accident Prone

8 minutes ago, Accident Prone said:

"Don't change to something else! Look, the next episode is already starting! What now?!"

This is a feature I like the idea of but hate the execution. 'Great, next episode please!' 

But the way it spills into obscuring credits or crashing the mood by shrinking it to a thumbnail or cluttering the screen with chrome really annoys me. I'm absorbing some great twist or dramatic conclusion and it's desperate to get me on the next thing.

Netflix and iplayer are the worst. Iplayer at least has good config options where you can adjust how aggressive this is. But I finished watching Haunting of Hill House and just taking in the ending, thinking about how it ties up (or doesn't), when Netflix shrinks the credits to a 5mm box and yaps 'now watch this thing about Madeleine McCann! Just the tonic after a ten part spooky thriller! And it starts IN THREE SECONDS!' At least let the music finish. Let me enjoy the afterglow, for fuck's sake. 

Yours, old man shouting at clouds. 

56 minutes ago, Onyx2 said:

This is a feature I like the idea of but hate the execution. 'Great, next episode please!' 

But the way it spills into obscuring credits or crashing the mood by shrinking it to a thumbnail or cluttering the screen with chrome really annoys me. I'm absorbing some great twist or dramatic conclusion and it's desperate to get me on the next thing.

Netflix and iplayer are the worst. Iplayer at least has good config options where you can adjust how aggressive this is. But I finished watching Haunting of Hill House and just taking in the ending, thinking about how it ties up (or doesn't), when Netflix shrinks the credits to a 5mm box and yaps 'now watch this thing about Madeleine McCann! Just the tonic after a ten part spooky thriller! And it starts IN THREE SECONDS!' At least let the music finish. Let me enjoy the afterglow, for fuck's sake. 

Yours, old man shouting at clouds. 

My sky box is terrible for this at the moment. My lady and I were watching something last night and the little thing came up saying "press back before we foist the next episode upon you", we didn't have time for the next one so pressed back, and there must have been about 2-3 more minutes of stuff we'd have missed if we'd skipped. AND it cut off the recording before the program actually ended. 

My Sky box went from ep 1 to ep 9 when I was watching Westworld, so not only did I sit there for an hour wondering who all these characters where and why they had made it impenetrable, it also spoiled a load of massive plot points. I never bothered watching it all in the end. 

2 minutes ago, gmoney said:

My Sky box went from ep 1 to ep 9 when I was watching Westworld, so not only did I sit there for an hour wondering who all these characters where and why they had made it impenetrable, it also spoiled a load of massive plot points. I never bothered watching it all in the end. 

Amazon Prime keeps doing that to me while I'm watching Parks & Rec. When one series ends it'll dump me 5 episodes into the next one

@Accident Prone the cliffhangers in the Good Place are deliberately designed to be unnecessarily huge as a parody of the ones in Lost. 

27 minutes ago, gmoney said:

To be honest, I watched all of Westworld and still sat there wondering who all these characters were and why they had made it impenetrable.

18 hours ago, Kfogg1991 said:

I've just read that James corden will be stepping down as the host of a league of their own..... he's finally given the middle finger too the uk to go be a big deal in the states. 

Britain's loss is America's loss.

I'm cautiously optimistic about Good Omens, it was always as much Gaiman as it was Pratchett, so not reliant on wordplay in quite the same way that Discworld is. Gaiman being as heavily involved as he has been is a good sign, too, as he's shown with American Gods that he's not scared of telling the studio to fuck off if he doesn't like the direction they're taking. Between TV and radio adaptations, versions of his work have been vastly superior since he got in on the ground floor of them. He's not the same Neil Gaiman that had to pretend to be pleased with Neverwhere.

Good Omens inherently lends itself to TV better than Discworld does, because there's less need for explanation, and the world is less open to interpretation. Magical realism is easier than hard fantasy, as far as not looking absolute guff is concerned. 

33 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

Britain's loss is America's loss.

I'm cautiously optimistic about Good Omens, it was always as much Gaiman as it was Pratchett, so not reliant on wordplay in quite the same way that Discworld is. Gaiman being as heavily involved as he has been is a good sign, too, as he's shown with American Gods that he's not scared of telling the studio to fuck off if he doesn't like the direction they're taking. Between TV and radio adaptations, versions of his work have been vastly superior since he got in on the ground floor of them. He's not the same Neil Gaiman that had to pretend to be pleased with Neverwhere.

Good Omens inherently lends itself to TV better than Discworld does, because there's less need for explanation, and the world is less open to interpretation. Magical realism is easier than hard fantasy, as far as not looking absolute guff is concerned. 

What's the story there? I've heard season 2 is drastically different and nauseatingly dull.

8 minutes ago, Merzbow said:

What's the story there? I've heard season 2 is drastically different and nauseatingly dull.

I've enjoyed season 2 so far - it's a little more prosaic, but with that means the jarring changes of pace in season 1 (following up an intense cliffhanger with a slow, meandering episode on backstory we already know, for example) are a thing of the past. I could do without yet another slow motion extreme close-up of the inner workings of machinery, or a flipping coin, or a burning cigarette, but that was true halfway through season 1 too.

My point was around the pre-production of the first series, though - it was originally supposed to be with HBO, but when they couldn't settle on a script, Gaiman fucked them off to take it to Starz rather than letting HBO make all the changes they wanted. 

Gaiman isn't massively involved in American Gods. He's more consultant. On GOOD OMENS he's the showrunner and writer in this.

The thing with Pratchett, is just like Douglas Adams, the main character in all the books IS them. Its the author. So straight adaptations don't work. You have to just infuse the show/film with the spirit of the work rather than being faithful.

Still Game had its final episode last night. Last few series since they came back have Been a bit lacking, but went out on a lovely ending that I haven’t seen any grief on social media about. Quite glad really, for all its given to Scottish pop culture it deserved to go out on a high

Edited by Louch

I've quite enjoyed the two seasons since they got back together. I was worried after seeing their first Hydro comeback show, as it was proper shite, but the past two seasons have done a good job.

The closing of the final episode was beautiful. 

Edited by ColinBollocks

Early Doors was great. They are doing, or have done, a stage show version of it (which can totally work)

Third series now would work wonderfully.

I'm with everyone on the second series of Fleabag. Just phenomenal writing. It's properly stepped up a few more levels from the first. 

My girlfriend had never seen it so I re-watched the first series with her and went straight into the second and there's a noticeable difference between the two. The first is very silly. The pathetic ex-boyfriend, Jamie Demetriou and his stupid front teeth etc. But the second takes a really dark and serious tone but yet still hilarious.

Did anyone here ever see the one-woman stage show version of it? It was supposed to be great and I'd love to see how it works.

3 minutes ago, wordsfromlee said:

I'm with everyone on the second series of Fleabag. Just phenomenal writing. It's properly stepped up a few more levels from the first. 

My girlfriend had never seen it so I re-watched the first series with her and went straight into the second and there's a noticeable difference between the two. The first is very silly. The pathetic ex-boyfriend, Jamie Demetriou and his stupid front teeth etc. But the second takes a really dark and serious tone but yet still hilarious.

Did anyone here ever see the one-woman stage show version of it? It was supposed to be great and I'd love to see how it works.

I saw it at the Fringe a couple of years ago - it wasn't PWB doing it, but I think the woman who played the waitress in episode 1 was Fleabag in the one we saw. It's just her sitting on a chair centre stage. A lot of what you see in series one features as stories in the show, but just told by her, and the to-camera bits are to-audience. It's very good.