What have you been watching on (proper scripted) telly?

Dynamite Duane

• Paid Members

MBB is one of those sitcoms, along with Bottom, The Young Ones and Only Fools, where I can recite every single line off by heat.

As mentioned above, "Drunk" is one of my fave episodes of any comedy ever, and is chocked full of quotable lines that get thown out when ever the lads get together at the pub...

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members
On 4/10/2019 at 9:00 PM, wordsfromlee said:

There's a new show that's started on BBC called Don't Forget The Driver. Written by and staring Toby Jones as a coach driver.

"Dark comedy set in sunny seaside Bognor Regis." 

Watched the first episode and found it pretty funny and I'd recommend it. All 6 are up on the iPlayer.

Watched the first episode. I liked it but it's pretty odd. Seems to be the way at the moment with dark british comedies. This was almost slapstick at times with the James Corden type lad and tremendously dark at others and near devastating at the end. 

Did particularly chuckle at the old lady's line "if Churchill was alive today he'd be spinning in his grave".

Watched Back To Life a few days ago. It’s on the iplayer, from BBC Three and stars Daisy Haggard as someone who is trying to piece her life back together after 18 years in prison.

Really good, Haggard is always excellent (and high on my list of non commercial/unconventional crushes), and the supporting cast including Geraldine James, Adeel Akhtar and Liam Williams (who was in another hidden gem called Pls Like) are all great too.

Not laugh out loud, but there is a heart and warmth to it. 

• Paid Members
42 minutes ago, tiger_rick said:

Did particularly chuckle at the old lady's line "if Churchill was alive today he'd be spinning in his grave".

That show must have some really fresh imaginative talent writing it if the best joke has been used consistently since 1879 

https://quoteinvestigator.com/2015/05/02/turn-over/

• Paid Members
52 minutes ago, tiger_rick said:

Watched the first episode. I liked it but it's pretty odd. Seems to be the way at the moment with dark british comedies. This was almost slapstick at times with the James Corden type lad and tremendously dark at others and near devastating at the end. 

I watched it last week - I really enjoyed it. It was sold to me like the Detectorists but about a bus driver, and I'd have to disagree with that assessment because I think it gets a lot more serious than the Detectorists. Still, an enjoyable six episodes. 

52 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

Watched Back To Life a few days ago. It’s on the iplayer, from BBC Three and stars Daisy Haggard as someone who is trying to piece her life back together after 18 years in prison.

Really good, Haggard is always excellent (and high on my list of non commercial/unconventional crushes), and the supporting cast including Geraldine James, Adeel Akhtar and Liam Williams (who was in another hidden gem called Pls Like) are all great too.

Not laugh out loud, but there is a heart and warmth to it. 

Me and the missus watched all of this over the bank holiday weekend and loved it. 

Some really funny bits as well as really great serious drama. A really brilliant mix. A lot of comedies try to pull off serious drama too but not many succeed like this show does. Daisy Haggard wrote it as well as staring in it too. I’d love to see more from her

I can see this slipping under the radar a bit but I shouldn’t. It’s great. 

• Paid Members
53 minutes ago, Nexus said:

I watched it last week - I really enjoyed it. It was sold to me like the Detectorists but about a bus driver, and I'd have to disagree with that assessment because I think it gets a lot more serious than the Detectorists. Still, an enjoyable six episodes. 

Yeah, definitely darker. Has the same feel though and Toby Jones's character and relationship with his daughter feel very similar. 

• Paid Members

Got into Brooklyn Nine Nine now that I've made it through Parks & Rec. The characters are a really good ensemble, but I don't think there I'm ever going to watch a show with a single character as brilliant as Ron Swanson. I had a lump in my throat and a tear in my eye for his happy ending. 

I still need to watch the rest of Don't Forget The Driver because it looks like it'll be a fascinating story. 

Edited by jazzygeofferz

Watched the first few episodes of the new Twilight Zone online somewhere because there doesn't seem to be a UK release yet.

The reviews had been middling but I was pleasantly surprised. The casting is great and the story ideas are decent. Runs a bit longer than necessary but captures the right vibe.

Seen some people call it 'predictable' but I wouldn't say so. Just because a few may have guessed twists it doesn't make it predictable. It's still a show that deals with real world issues and the human condition with a mysterious and spooky edge. Pretty much how I imagined the show would feel in this day and age.

As a huge fan of the original I don't feel like they've done the brand a disservice or anything by any means. I find this series easier to digest than the previous revisit.