UKFF Questions Thread V2

neil

• Paid Members

Does anyone remember a song from around 1997 where the video for it featured a woman wrestler with black hair doing all kinds of moves to someone who I presume was the lead singer for the band? I’m pretty sure the wrestler and band were British but I can’t remember the name of the band or the song. The band or song might have the name Molly or Holly in their title. It’s not a lot to go on, I know, but memories are vague after so long, and it’s been bugging me for forever.

I believe you're thinking of the song Molly by the band Carrie, which was released in 1998:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PzY4I60_oKE

It just appears from time to time during discussions of ring attire, there's always a handful of "get him in trunks" type comments. Here's LaGoosh from the Random Thoughts thread in 2013, I think when they first teased the shield breakup but then they hung on for a bit longer:

Reigns should be simple. Keep those cool wrist pads/glove things he has, stick him in black trunks, boots and knee pads that suit his wrist pads. Sorted. One badass motherfucker. Ambrose has a very unimpressive physique so he should stick to a similar vest/trousers combo. But something dirtier and scummier looking. Rollins should have a pair of fancy tights and keep his gloves too. Get rid of that blonde in his hair. It works in The Shield but as a singles wrestler...maybe not.

http://ukff.com/topic/131365-random-thoughts-thread-v2-no-news-items/page-332

Here's Duke, on the "What would you do with them" thread:

I'd take Zack Ryder, I'd shave his head, put him in black trunks, give him a manager and present him as a serious wrestler.

Now for Kofi Kingston I'd put him in black trunks, give him a manager and shave his head, so he could be a serious ass kicker.

As for Christian I'd give him a manager, put him in black trunks and, this is important, shave his head, so hsd be taken seriously

And Maxwell, also from Random thoughts:

Reigns would look good in Chainmail during his entrance. In fact a toned down version of HHH's Wrestlemania 27 outfit for entrances then trunks after the bell rings could be cool. If not just a bit of Chainmail would do. Ambrose would look smart in a leather motorcycle jacket. Either trunks are jeans would suit him. Rollins doesn't suit trunks at all, I think it makes him look lankier than he needs to. Would probably be best sticking to tights

• Paid Members

Can someone explain why there's an overriding obsession (from some) that top guys need to wear trunks? Apart from, obviously, getting a good look at their junk lolloping around, because everyone wants to see that.

Yeah, I've never got that. I don't know where it comes from. There seems to be a school of thought that all proper stars wore trunks. The fact is some people just suit tights better. Chris Jericho always looked better in tights. Loads of people suit a non-trunks look. Bret, HBK, Undertaker, Rick Rude, Jake, Angle, Perfect, Umaga, Edge, Rollins, Reigns, etc.

Let's say it's the start of 1998 and Warrior has signed for the WWF once again, his head is clear and is ready to work his arse off. Who would you put him against for that big money WM fued?

Did Undertaker and Warrior ever have a match? Could be a fun power battle, especially accentuated by their characters- the colourful, hyper guy against the brooding dark guy.

They had loads of matches in 1991. All rubbish though, I think. Plus Undertaker was balls deep in the feud with Kane for that WrestleMania.

I don't know where Warrior would fit in, to be honest. I'd be tempted to put him against Triple H, but that might screw up the Austin vs DX feud.

Probably One Warrior Nation vs Nation of Domination.

• Paid Members

The thing about that period is, if you put someone in that main event the dominos would all fall down. If you put Warrior in there, they might have had the attitude that "Austin will have his time down the road" which they've done loads of times over the years. Then putting him with Undertaker, you'd have no Kane feud. At the time they wanted Warrior, it was when they let Bret Hart go to WCW because they couldnt afford him. And offered the Warrior around the same money after the Survivor Series. To be willing to let Bret Hart go to fund a the Warrior signing, that tells me the mindset was to push the older old stars from the glory period. For Vince to want Warrior back (and for a better deal than anyone in the company), they must have been totally out of ideas. If Warrior would have signed that contract they offered him, they'd have had to justify it by giving him a massive push. They were trying to bring Hogan back around the same time as well. That late 97/early 98 period was a million things that fell into place. Looking at who they were negotiating with (Hogan) and who they actually offered a deal to (there's a copy of it online from the Warrior/WWF lawsuit) it looks like its obvious the WWF's vision was build the company around the old stars again. But Warrior would have never returned with his working boots on. Even if he did re-sign, he'd have been gone by No Way Out.

Actually looking at Austin at the Survivor Series and DX In Your House, that didn't look like someone who was physically capable of getting through a run as champion. Their must have been serious worries over his neck, because he never took a bump for months. He was hidden in gimmick and multiman matches until WrestleMania. Maybe they looked at 1997 and with Bret gone, Sid gone, Austin looking in bad shape and the Undertaker already having a title run which wasn't up to much in 97, they probably thought they had to bring back the Warrior or Hogan or someone else from the times when it was popular.

Edited by IANdrewDiceClay

• Paid Members

Wrestlers with long hair. When did it start? Why did it start? and why hasn't it gone away yet?

It has its advantage of hiding “light” when throwing a punch. As long as your hand hits the hair and the other guy throws their head back, you don't know whether it connected or not.

Not sure if that's how it started, like.