UKFF Questions Thread V2

neil

Wrestlers with long hair. When did it start? Why did it start? and why hasn't it gone away yet?

It has its advantage of hiding “light” when throwing a punch. As long as your hand hits the hair and the other guy throws their head back, you don't know whether it connected or not.

Not sure if that's how it started, like.

Surely they grew their hair so it's easier to call spots and communicate in rest holds.

• Paid Members

Wrestlers with long hair. When did it start? Why did it start? and why hasn't it gone away yet?

In addition to all of the above correct responses, and as a bit of an extension to Your Fight Site's explanation, big hair helps to sell the visual impact of a wrestler's movements- long locks flicking back and bouncing around when a wrestler sells a punch, for example, helps to exaggerate the move which translates better to the man sat in Row Z, who might not be able to hear all of the blows as well as the guys in the first few rows.

It's the same reason why they always teach guys to use as big a range of movement as possible in wrestling, which is why the best worked wrestling punches will look nothing like the short fast jabs that a boxer would use. You want everybody in the arena (and the hard cam) to be able to pick up on what is happening.

• Paid Members

What match/segment is it where Hogan looks into the camera and screams 'I am the man, I am God'?

It's in his nWo days obviously

You know, I think this might be the 27 October 1997 episode of Nitro. By sheer coincidence I've just read this in a classic Wrestling Observer newsletter I was glancing through today.

Can someone explain why there's an overriding obsession (from some) that top guys need to wear trunks? Apart from, obviously, getting a good look at their junk lolloping around, because everyone wants to see that.

Yeah, I've never got that. I don't know where it comes from. There seems to be a school of thought that all proper stars wore trunks. The fact is some people just suit tights better. Chris Jericho always looked better in tights. Loads of people suit a non-trunks look. Bret, HBK, Undertaker, Rick Rude, Jake, Angle, Perfect, Umaga, Edge, Rollins, Reigns, etc.

I agree on Jericho. He's one of my favourites, but switching to trunks made him look much shorter and stockier. Does he still wear lifts? I haven't noticed in his recent returns.

Maybe it's because I saw him for the first time in 2002*, but I always thought Hulk Hogan looked far better in the red and yellow tights than the yellow trunks of the 80s.

*Addendum- I had a Hollywood Hogan figure as a little one in the late 90s, but never watched WCW.

Can someone explain why there's an overriding obsession (from some) that top guys need to wear trunks? Apart from, obviously, getting a good look at their junk lolloping around, because everyone wants to see that.

Fin Martin said it in Powerslam years ago and it stuck. I don't know if it was common for newsletter/Internet writers, but Powerslam was the first time I saw it. It was either in relation to Triple H changing to trunks, or it was around the time Edge was just on the cusp of the main event and Fin decided changing to trunks would get him there.

• Paid Members

I'm likely being retarded here but WWE.com is not letting me read the first article on the site at the moment without the WWE Network announcement over riding it. Is there a way I can read it? Anyone else experienced this?