UKFF Questions Thread V2

neil

• Paid Members

Reading the NXT thread and seeing they tape four weeks’ worth of TV in one go has me thinking about WCW Nitro as I’m also currently watching old episodes of that.

In the beginning, when it was live and only an hour long, what else did they do at the recordings? Did they tape matches beforehand for other shows like Worldwide and Saturday Night? I’d be pretty miffed in buying a ticket and only seeing an hour’s worth of wrestling.

• Paid Members

I seem to remember, as a kid, my dad bringing back a WWF video from work that a work colleague had taped from Sky. (Cos only the cool kids had Sky back then).

There was one segment that had Dusty Rhodes being handcuffed to the ropes, whilst the Big Boss Man laid into him with a night stick. It was pretty brutal to my young eyes. 

I've tried Googling it and can't find a thing, so, did this happen or have I just made it up? Any idea what event it was? 

• Awards Moderator

I seem to remember, as a kid, my dad bringing back a WWF video from work that a work colleague had taped from Sky. (Cos only the cool kids had Sky back then).

There was one segment that had Dusty Rhodes being handcuffed to the ropes, whilst the Big Boss Man laid into him with a night stick. It was pretty brutal to my young eyes.

I've tried Googling it and can't find a thing, so, did this happen or have I just made it up? Any idea what event it was?

This happened after Dusty beat Bossman at Survivor Series 1989.

What was the thinking in having Santino Marella as one of the final two in the Rumble 2011? I haven't ever seen the event to be honest, but I assume once it came down to the final two, it would have been obvious that Del Rio would have won?

Seems a pretty silly situation.

That's like saying most of Undertaker's WrestleMania matches this century were shit because the result was obvious. 2011 was one of the best Rumble finishes ever. Santino is a fantastic underdog, as also seen in the Elimination Chamber in 2012.

• Paid Members

Yeah, probably my favourite Rumble finish in a decade or so. Although the ultimate outcome was obvious, as is the case in most Rumbles anyway, there was a very brief moment when the entire arena got caught up in the idea of Santino doing the unthinkable. Santino was absolutely brilliant in those sort of spots.

Edited by Arch Stanton

• Paid Members

I was going to create a thread for this but it probably wouldn't create that much discussion so I'll stick it in here.

Brian Pillman.

Does anyone know what the plans were for him in the WWF before he died? I know he was set to wrestle Dude Love at Bad Blood the day they found him dead, but the Goldust angle hadn't finished either yet, had it? Has Meltzer or anyone ever said what the planned ending to that angle was?

Also, where do you think he'd have fit in in the Attitude era of 98/99 even 2000 if he never had the alcohol and drug problems? Sadly he was very limited in the ring, with his ankle, by the time the WWF brought him in and I'm not saying I'd have expected a big main event run from him or anything. But with the history with Austin and his nutty character, I think he'd have fit in perfectly in that era in the company.

I've only really thought of this now because I listened to a clip on YouTube of Austin talking about him. And it also got me thinking how fucking great a Brian Pillman shoot interview could've been. He mixed with so many big names, worked in the bigger companies and the way guys like Austin, Foley, Nash etc talk about him it sounds like he'd be great to listen to telling stories and stuff.

So yeah, I don't know where I'm going with this. Basically, what do you think would've happened with him in 98 and 99 if he'd beaten his demons? Was he too far gone physically or do you think he could've still become a bit of a player?

I'd have replied   :(

He was supposed to go 5 minutes with Goldust at Bad Blood if Dude Love beat him (or sometihng like that) so I guess that would've happened and that would've been that as far as their feud was concerned. Maybe Marlena would've turned on 'Dust and stayed with Pillman permanently, i dunno.

He would have been perfect in the attitude era. Ideal gimmick, ideal execution. It's no coincidence that, despite being of no real relevance as a wrestler, he was still getting such prominant, edgy angles, both when he was 'fit' and on the shelf.

However, i'm pretty sure I read he was unhappy, was wanting out, so would probably have ended up back in WCW in 1998.

The thought of the possibilities and potential of a healthy Pillman in the WWF with the loose cannon gimmick is still gutting.   :(

Edited by Reznor

• Paid Members

Definitely worthy of a thread. I think his injuries would have left him too far gone to be a big time in ring player, wouldn't have been surprised to see them try and transition him to some manager/announcer/on screen role in an attempt to take advantage of how good his character was.

Edited by Maverick

• Paid Members

I didn't even factor in the Montreal thing. That actually sounds likely, him following Bret and that lot to WCW.

I'd have loved to see how he'd have figured into the WWF picture in 1998 though. When Austin won the title and stuff. Pillman as a lunatic heel going after Austin out of jealous rage could've been decent for one or two of those non big four PPVs. There'd always have been the possibility of them kind of becoming loose allies again down the line as well maybe.

But yeah, chances are he'd have ended up in WCW, wrestling Jim Powers and Prince Iaukea on Thunder by mid 98.