UKFF Questions Thread V2

neil

• Moderators

Astro Hollywood, of this parish, wrote a brilliant eBook with a chapter on Pillman in it. Details in his sig.

lurch-addams.jpg

YOU RANG?

People always assume, had he lived, that Pillman would have gone on to massive heights in the Attitude Era, which is most likely true, but the question of whether or not he would have made it in the Attitude Era without his demons is kind of a moot point. In reality, he was never really able to switch the Loose Cannon gimmick off once he got to the WWE, having lived it 24/7 for months. He was his demons at that point. Flyin' Brian never would have got past the mid-card, and certainly wouldn't have gotten any interest from Vince, but the lengths he had to go to to garner that interest in the first place meant the Loose Cannon had completely taken over -- thanks in part to the car wreck, which left him in constant pain and a massive drug addict -- and he was every bit as fucked mentally as he was physically, right up until the end. At one point, he wrote off 3 rental cars in the space of a week, and everyone backstage considered him top of the dead pool. Had he not died when he did, and been in the main event scene feuding with Austin or whatever, over the following couple of years, it's hard to imagine he'd have been able to handle the schedule without killing himself then instead.

I doubt that WCW would have ever taken him back either. Bischoff was a huge mark for him, but realised he'd completely been used over the Loose Cannon angle, of which, for most of its existence, he was the only one in on it. I know it's never say never in wrestling, but he was considered completely untrustable (and unstable) by most after that, and it was a really sore point for Bischoff, Sullivan and Hogan, who'd all been tricked. Vince initially didn't want to hire him, because he thought he was genuinely insane.

But yeah, for much, much more detail on the whole thing, which is one of the most fascinating things that ever happened in or outside of wrestling, see sig.

Edited by Astro Hollywood

Yeah, probably my favourite Rumble finish in a decade or so. Although the ultimate outcome was obvious, as is the case in most Rumbles anyway, there was a very brief moment when the entire arena got caught up in the idea of Santino doing the unthinkable. Santino was absolutely brilliant in those sort of spots.

Absolutely agree. I completely lost it when he appeared from under the ring and that exact moment where you just think "oh my god, he's going to do it!". I was screaming at the telly for him to chuck Del Rio over and win it. I don't think I'll get as wrapped up or involved in a Wrestling moment like that again.

Then he did it again in the Chamber and it was magical.

Santino was ace.

Whilst replying to the Wrestling Books thread I thought of this question, something I'm not entirely sure about...

Whats the story behind the relationship between WWE (Capitol Wrestling/WWWF) and Madison Square Garden in the very early days of both. I read some where that MSG was put on the map because of WWE and it was extended or rebuilt in order to facilitate the growing wrestling attendances. Its pretty remarkable that arguably the most famous in the area in the world is standing today because of WWE, if that is the case. I know that MSG officials would turn down big stars like Elvis and Sinatra from performing their when WWE was in town and that Sinatra got the mafia involved or something to that effect...any truth to this?

He was supposed to go 5 minutes with Goldust at Bad Blood if Dude Love beat him (or sometihng like that) so I guess that would've happened and that would've been that as far as their feud was concerned. Maybe Marlena would've turned on 'Dust and stayed with Pillman permanently, i dunno.

Considering the era and how pro wrestling is in general I think most people were assuming that Marlena was turning on Goldust at the PPV or just after, I think Fin Martin was pushing that idea at the time as well.

On the subject of Pillman I have been watching a lot of ECW lately and does anyone else believe that the Pillman/Goldust feud was influenced by the 1996/7 Raven/Sandman feud? Could just be a coincidence but both revolved around the real life family of the face being targeted by the heel.

With John Cena vs Randy Orton having a Number One Contenders match at the next Pay Per View, barring Elimination Chamber and Royal Rumble matches, when was the last Number 1 Contenders Match on Pay Per View?

So Cena loses to Ambrose in a Contract on a Pole match to face Rollins and is now in a Number One Contenders match? While Ambrose, the guy who won, faces Rollins for "I beat you" Bragging Rights ?

• Paid Members

I get that they don't want Cena/Orton to come off as some kind of third place playoff, but Cena losing to Ambrose seems to have worked out in his favour.

Storyline wise that's thanks to Seth Rollins. It was his suggestion. So not only would it give Orton a reason to be grateful to Rollins but also it would piss off Dean Ambrose. Makes perfect sense.

• Paid Members

Does NXT not have permanent announcers/commentators? I’m sure every episode of NXT I’ve watched since NXT Takeover: Fatal 4 Way, there’s been a different ring announcer and commentary team.

It's a rotating cast, yeah. NXT is developmental for those guys as much as it is the guys in the ring.