UKFF Questions Thread V2

neil

I havent seen that match in years but I always thought Davey Boy faling (its like off a platform thing and between that and the rails?) looked pretty legit..

Since we're talking about that match, wasnt Bulldog's dying sisterr there or something? Have I remember'd wrong or was it brought up few times in the match and cut to her in the crowd? Seemed abit unnessisary if Davey Boy was gonna lose anyway? I remmber being outraged as a kiddo, and I never even liked British Bulldog that much.

Edited by Sweet Clyde

I wasnt watching in 1997 unfortunately but from what ive read Bulldog promotion for the match was that he was going to win for his sick sister.

There is a promo for the match from HBK were he looks pilled up to the max.

As for Bulldogs foot going thru the rails like you say it looks awesome and if that was planned whoever came up with that is a genius. The crowds reaction makes you proud to be British, HBK the little shite.

Edited by Fanny Pack

I havent seen that match in years but I always thought Davey Boy faling (its like off a platform thing and between that and the rails?) looked pretty legit..

Since we're talking about that match, wasnt Bulldog's dying sisterr there or something? Have I remember'd wrong or was it brought up few times in the match and cut to her in the crowd? Seemed abit unnessisary if Davey Boy was gonna lose anyway? I remmber being outraged as a kiddo, and I never even liked British Bulldog that much.

By all accounts he was supposed to win hence the dedication to his sister during media interviews, then Shawn got wind of it and had the result changed without Davey's knowledge

Everyone in WWE loves to bully Fink. They do brawls on TV designed purposely to wreck his new car etc. One of Vince's amusements. I heard/saw an interview with someone recently where they'd seen Finkel crying over the way people treat him, but before that I always thought he took it in good spirits.

• Paid Members

I remember it too. I also remember the commentator trying to flesh out a backstory for Alex Shelley, saying his father was a decorator or something.

In fact, it wasn’t far removed from a modern-day World of Sport. Just imagine Kent Walton saying: “And that young man in the ring there, son of a decorator, hoping to move up the ranks for an X Division title shot someday. Oh, and what a drop kick! Magnificent elevation!”

What was the state of British wrestling in the mid-90s (I'd say probably between 93 and 97 is the period I'm interested in)? Was it really a case of WWF tribute shows ruling the roost? Was there any decent feds out there? Who were the big names?

Also, can anyone give me info on Reslo around this time? Was it mainly English wrestlers doing the matches, or was there any Welsh main eventers?

• Moderators

Mixture. Fit Finlay was probably the top man on it by that point in 1994-5 or whatever. There were Welsh stars on it though. Boston Blackie was from Flint for instance. It was generally a mix of Brits though, if my memory serves. Legend of Doom was on it a fair bit at that juncture as was Tony St. Clair and Drew McDonald.

Edited by PowerButchi

I can remember seeing an ITV documentary about British wrestling in the 90s it seemed to focus on a lot show that were taking place in seaside towns/resorts, but they also followed Robbie Brookside around for a bit and as he was getting ready to head to the US. I distinctly remember Brookside being hellbent on getting to WCW as it was "the place to be", which baffled me at the time but I was young at the time and WWE was all the I really knew. I knew of WCW but this was before I was aware that WCW was on the up and I didn't know really where to find on English (if it was even available)