The Fortean/paranormal/conspiracy thread

Astro Hollywood

• 2 months later...

Been doing a bit of reading on the Taiga forest in Russia. Wiki says it's 17 million square KM - the UK is only 240,000 square miles. I know next to nothing about the stuff that's posted in here but I'm guessing there has to be some cool sightings/conspiracies of what's been discovered/undiscovered in a forest that size. Any good ones?Ā 

There's probably a LOT of shady shit going on in Siberia. Ā Not heard much about Taiga though.

One for @Astro HollywoodĀ here.

https://www.popularmechanics.com/military/a29073804/navy-ufo-videos-real/

Those crazy UFO videos that that fella from Blink182 was touting round the internet? Ā Apparently they're legit.

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

In summary

"In each case, the objects in the videos undertook aerial maneuvers that aren't possible with current aviation technology. In the 2004 incident, according to The New York Times, the objects "appeared suddenly at 80,000 feet, and then hurtled toward the sea, eventually stopping at 20,000 feet and hovering. Then they either dropped out of radar range or shot straight back up.""

So you have US navy pilots with modern surveillance technology (for 2004 at least) utterly baffled by what they're seeing. Ā Apparently this sort of encounter is becoming common enough that the US navy has a whole new system in placy for pilots to report what they are callingĀ Unidentified Aerial Phenomena. Ā The US government is seemingly pretty concerned with all this incursion into its airspace.

So what is it? Ā Seems to be objects that come from the ocean and accelerate at near-impossible velocities into space. Ā If they're manmade, they're definitely remotely piloted as no human could survive that. Ā  Incredibly advanced drone tech? Ā Some weird energy phenomenon? Aliens? Disinformation campaign?

I'd pretty much convinced myself that the whole 90s UFE thing was a long-term disinformation campaign but now...

xg0fO8d.jpg

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

• Paid Members

I'm still dubious when the context is a video headed "BROUGHT TO YOU BY TO THE STARS". There's still a very obvious profit motive above and beyond any sense of informing the public, which means it's almost guaranteed that their being selective about what information they're giving us.Ā 

Ultimately, not one of us is familiar with the tech we're looking at to know what's "normal", and are just taking their word for it. The history of UFO sightings is littered with Navy pilots and so on, with the implied credibility that "they would know what they're looking at", rather than the Occam's Razor explanation of, "even these guys can not understand what they're seeing".

I don't know what it is, but it's not aliens. There's posts going around Reddit debunking the three videos, variously, as jets, birds, weather balloons, compounded byĀ incorrect calculations of speed/distance. Again, I can't verify any of those, because I know nothing of the tech or science behind any of this. But I'm not jumping toward "definitely aliens" when there are more rational explanations out there.

Edited by BomberPat

I'm a lurker on a rather unusual forum I came across years ago that seems to have a lot of aerospace engineers and former pilots on. Ā FWIW they all seem quite puzzled by the footage, but one interesting theory I read was that it's most likely glitches in the imaging software. Ā The computer is creating a lock onto something that's not actually there, or much closer than it appears, and providing false positive velocity data.

Or, aliens.

10 hours ago, Briefcase said:

The problem with these things is that nowadays anyone can make a video or movie, also if it was advanced technology which I personally think it is then I doubt any military would even admit to being behind it.Ā 

Well yeah, but New York Times journalists aren't daft. They'll do a bit of checking to make sure there's little danger that it's a complete fabrication.

I find it to be a bit more of a stretch to believe that we're the only life forms in this galaxy. Just us, surrounded by lots of fuck all? That's almost as ridiculous as that creation from tinfoil and toilet roll tubes that the US tried to pass off as the vehicle for the moon landing.

How that thing even survived five minutes in the Arizona desert during filmingĀ is astounding.