The Fortean/paranormal/conspiracy thread

Astro Hollywood

18 minutes ago, scratchdj said:

In said dreams, I feel in total control

That's part of it, but a lucid dream becomes 'lucid' when you know you're dreaming, I believe.

That's pretty handy though. Maybe practice and then you can dream of perfecting the 'hat' code :)

• Moderators
1 hour ago, scratchdj said:

I’ve never really thought too much about this until seeing the video above, but in my job as a software developer I’ll often have a particular puzzle to crack that I sometimes can’t solve immediately. On more than a few occasions, I’ve gone to bed having not solved a problem and then had a dream in which I write the exact code needed to do what I need to do. In said dreams, I feel in total control, as if I’m at my desk writing code for real.

When I wake up, I’ll turn my PC on and write line-for-line the exact code from my dream and it always works.

So that’s a bit odd now I think more about it.

I'm constantly writing stuff in my sleep. I've sat bolt upright like in a movie before, suddenly having the perfect plot contrivance I've been struggling with (while awake) for months. I find this really sinister, like my brain's in control, even when I'm not conscious? It's too like Fight Club. What else is it getting up to? I leave notepads next to the bed, and often there's something scrawled in them I've no recollection of writing in the middle of the night; ideas for things I'm working on, ideas for new things to work on, jokes.

Half the jokes I post on Twitter are jokes I dreamed I posted on Twitter. No wonder I'm so tired all the time, if I'm working while I'm asleep too. I do have a history of sleepwalking and weird sleep activity anyway, but I once found a message I'd left on the notes app of my Kindle that said "here in the future, we shake farts instead of hands." When I was writing my Charles Manson novel, I got up one morning to find a detailed suggestion I'd left myself on the computer in the middle of the night, about adding in some plot detail that had never occured to me when I was awake.

hqdefault.jpg

"Sorry, officer, I must've been sleep-novel-writing again!"

• 2 months later...
  • Paid Members

"Crisis actors" and "false flags" is where I fell off the conspiracy theory train. 

I used to find them all fascinating, and at one point had plans with a mate to start a podcast looking at some of the wackier ones, but it was around the Boston bombing that I just couldn't do it any more. I used to find them fun, but there was something about seeing it all unfold in real time that made it profoundly depressing - seeing Twitter detectives circulating photos of innocent people as the "real" bomber, drawing red circles around arbitrary people on grainy photos and asking "why aren't the police arresting this man?!"....and then that soon grew into "this person looks vaguely like someone who was at another event, therefore it's an actor", and the whole false flag thing kicked in. 

It's so depressing, and infuriating, and I can't imagine being in the position of having lived through something horrific, or lost loved ones, and then having complete strangers on the internet insist that it never happened - and, not only that, but that there's some nefarious reason to pretend otherwise. 

• Paid Members

i had the same feelings after the Boston Bombings, i remember a specific group of people i work who loved a joint and a conspiracy theory turning into internet detectives and dissecting photos for clues then sharing what they 'found' on facebook, it was all really weird.

1 hour ago, BomberPat said:

Crisis actors" and "false flags" is where I fell off the conspiracy theory train. 

Have you read “The Psychopath Test” by Jon Ronson? The bit about David Shayler and Rachel North is amazing. She was on the tube on 7/7 but he and his followers said she didn’t exist, so she went to one of their meetings. Long read in the link. Shayler could probably get a seat on Bournemouth council these days. 
https://erenow.net/biographies/the-psychopath-test-a-journey-through-the-madness-industry/8.php

• Moderators

The worst for me are the Sandy Hook false flag/crisis actors lot - claiming that the parents who lost their children to a fucking nut job shooting them up are "in on it" and the kids are alive and well. Overall the people who buy into those "theories" are a sick lot, but it takes a whole other level to goad parents with shit like that.

• Paid Members

the Jon Ronson thing gets it exactly right when it says the complete lack of empathy is utterly staggering. 

I try and remind myself, when encountering a lot of this stuff online, that a lot of the people involved are probably idiot kids and trolls. But there's always stark reminders that there are grown, otherwise intelligent, adults with real jobs, who can vote, that 100% believe in this shit. 

3 minutes ago, neil said:

The worst for me are the Sandy Hook false flag/crisis actors lot - claiming that the parents who lost their children to a fucking nut job shooting them up are "in on it" and the kids are alive and well. Overall the people who buy into those "theories" are a sick lot, but it takes a whole other level to goad parents with shit like that.

I know it’s separate the performer from the character onscreen and all that but this is why I could never cheer on Ronda Rousey. 

2 hours ago, Keith Houchen said:

Have you read “The Psychopath Test” by Jon Ronson? The bit about David Shayler and Rachel North is amazing. She was on the tube on 7/7 but he and his followers said she didn’t exist, so she went to one of their meetings. Long read in the link. Shayler could probably get a seat on Bournemouth council these days. 
https://erenow.net/biographies/the-psychopath-test-a-journey-through-the-madness-industry/8.php

He also did this episode of This American Life about it too. 

https://www.thisamericanlife.org/338/the-spokesman/act-one-0

On 9/30/2020 at 1:24 PM, neil said:

I seen this unfold the other day on twitter in regards to covid-19. Some 'covid is a hoax' people started telling someone that nobody dies from covid because it doesn't exist, the person said their mother had just died. The covid hoax gang then said she died of something else and the hospital are in on it framing it as a covid death. I think wrestling suffers from this with fans and performers alike in that the 'everything is a work' mindset can just spiral out of hand because the person is scared to admit they're wrong or can't face the reality of the situation being real so this becomes a coping mechanism for them.