The Fortean/paranormal/conspiracy thread

Astro Hollywood

• Moderators

It's a little hard to post about this, seeing as the two main websites containing all the info have been killed in the bandwidth rush this past couple of days, but there's a really good video news report on it here, containing an interview with the guy that has the bodyThere are a ton of news articles all saying roughly the same thing, so just put 'bigfoot' into Google News.And here's a big picture.thawed-creature-in-freezer11.jpgWhat do people make of this? I'm completely obsessed with cryptozoology, and it's an awesome story, but that thing looks really fake, like an empty suit. It's hard to get any sense of weight with it laying there all floppy. Plus, the two guys who found it were known to be shady characters before this all started. Then again, who the fuck knows what a Bigfoot would really look like, let alone a dead, rotting one? This cop guy does seems really sure it's for real, and that he has the body and DNA to prove it. Two days until we find out.

Edited by Woyzeck

• Moderators

i'd love the story to be real, but at the same time ill be very shocked if its not fake

If they actually have a body, that's pretty much the unfakeable holy grail.Here's the official press release.

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASEAugust 12, 2008BIGFOOT BODY FOUNDDNA evidence and photo evidence to be presented at aPRESS CONFERENCEto be held onDate: Friday, August 15, 2008Time: From 12Noon-1:00pmPlace: Cabana Hotel-Palo Alto (A Crown Plaza Resort) 4290 El Camino Real, Palo Alto, California 94306Searching for Bigfoot, Inc. Menlo Park, CaliforniaTom Biscardi, CEOBIGFOOT BODY FOUND - EVIDENCE AND DNA DETAILS TO BE PRESENTED AT A PRESS CONFERENCE ON FRIDAY, AUGUST 15thFROM 12 N00N TO 1:00PM AT THE CABANA HOTEL-PALO ALTO IN PALO ALTO, CALIFORNIAA body that may very well be the body of the creature commonly known as

The mouth and eyes don't look 'real' in any kind of way.Also the fur, animal fur usually has some kind of 'shape' to it, that fur is all over the place. Very much doubt it's real.Edit: Fox Facts "Bigfoot are rarely claimed to be agressive" :rolleyes: I'm generally a bit of a skeptical bastard so I doubt things like this, if it is real I'll eat my toenail clippings.

Edited by DJ Stevie C

• Moderators

The mouth and eyes don't look 'real' in any kind of way.Also the fur, animal fur usually has some kind of 'shape' to it, that fur is all over the place. Very much doubt it's real.Edit: Fox Facts "Bigfoot are rarely claimed to be agressive" :rolleyes: I'm generally a bit of a skeptical bastard so I doubt things like this, if it is real I'll eat my toenail clippings.

If it is real, it's half decomposed and been sitting in a freezer wrapped in bin-liners, so it's kinda like looking at a rotting old dog and thinking it doesn't look exactly like the dog running around your living room.Usually, anyone would assume this was an absolute lie by some twats, but this is the first time anyone's ever out and out claimed they have a body that they're going to prove is real, and let people see, so if it is a hoax, I can't see how they'd get out of it, or what they'd get out of it. You can't exactly fake a corpse to the level it would pass examinations, or DNA evidence of e new species, like you could a photo or film, or something like the Minnesota Iceman. Even Loren Coleman is cautiously optimistic.

The eyes I'd agree with you. But the lips/mouth bit just don't look right, the teeth and the lips are too close and if it was rotting for a long enough time for the skin to become drawn the 'skin' would be more discoloured.

• Moderators

The eyes I'd agree with you. But the lips/mouth bit just don't look right, the teeth and the lips are too close and if it was rotting for a long enough time for the skin to become drawn the 'skin' would be more discoloured.

There were some clearer pictures on Cryptomundo, which is down right now, where you could clearly see that that's the tongue poking out underneath the teeth, because of decomposition.I managed to pull it from Google Cache.gagorilla-level-adjust.jpgBesides, "too close" ? Too close for what? If it's real, it's a new species, ditto the skin colouring. We wouldn't know exactly how they'd look dead or alive. It definitely looks a lot closer to ape than man though. Edited by Woyzeck

• Moderators
Bigfoot investigation is like Britwres really. Mostly a bunch of kooks arguing and trying to discredit each other. The famous film has been "proven" about six different times with various people all owning up to being inside the costume or making it. One of those hobbies where you can become famous among your own peers, like Britwres or UFOlogy, and it turns a lot of people into wackos.I can't get into that forum, but I'll assume it's the same load of old toot with someone else trying to streal the press for themselves. The Montak Monster was "debunked" as viral marketing earlier this week, before that debunking got debunked as a hoax. I haven't seen anything about this being disproven in any other crypto forums yet, and that costume isn't even close to the thing in the freezer. It's the kind of bullshit Charles Fort rallied against where people will automatically and unthinkingly accept anything that claims to disprove something as true without even looking at the evidence. Edited by Woyzeck

Great publicity for their business though. There are enough kooks out there who'd believe this to keep them in customers for years.

I love a bit of cryptozoology, but the whole idea of Bigfoot being out there is preposterous. Firstly, there's no fossil evidence to suggest any great ape species has ever lived in the American continent (apart from us). Secondly, no bodies have ever been discovered, indeed apart from the occasional out-of-place hair no physical evidence at all. Thirdly, given that all other species living in those areas have been long identified, and those areas are at least intermittently visited by hunters, etc, it seem highly unlikely that an animal as large and dominant as a great ape would remain undocumented.

My personal belief is that Bigfoot is a race memory passed from the Native Americans to the newer Anglo-saxon population of Gigantopithecus, huge bipedal apes who co-existed with early man and who probably gave rise to our many myths of giants, ogres, etc.

EDIT: it looks like it's this costume in a freezer box.

Edited by Loki

• Moderators

Great publicity for their business though. There are enough kooks out there who'd believe this to keep them in customers for years.

Nah, this will be horrible for their business. If they're exposed as liars and frauds, I doubt they'll even continue with it.

I love a bit of cryptozoology, but the whole idea of Bigfoot being out there is preposterous. Firstly, there's no fossil evidence to suggest any great ape species has ever lived in the American continent (apart from us). Secondly, no bodies have ever been discovered, indeed apart from the occasional out-of-place hair no physical evidence at all. Thirdly, given that all other species living in those areas have been long identified, and those areas are at least intermittently visited by hunters, etc, it seem highly unlikely that an animal as large and dominant as a great ape would remain undocumented.

All of these things are true, of course, but it is a massive area, and I'd like to think they're holed up in some place people rarely ever go, which if they did exist, would be likely. I'm not down with the idea about them being everywhere, in every state, but as far as the vast wooded areas of the Pacific NW, I don't see why not.The thing that often gets wheeled out about unknown cryptids - forgetting about bodies and hard physical evidence for a second - is "if there's a breeding colony, how comes we haven't seen them?" Well, people claim they have, lots and lots of people, but they're derided as liars, insane, or mistaken, and science stays well away from it because they don't want the stigma of being associated, so the only people you get looking for this stuff are underfunded amatuer groups and publicity seeking wackos. If science really got their hands dirty and got in there, I think you'd find Mokele-Mbembe pretty quickly, for instance, instead there's been a handful of expeditions into uncharted jungles by what basically amounts to groups of blokes with shit equipment who can't afford to stay out there for long enough to do anything of any worth, and struggle to even communicate with the locals.

EDIT: it looks like it's this costume in a freezer box.

It still doesn't look like that costume at all to me. It might seem like it doesn't matter one way or the other - if it's fake, it's fake, etc - but I can't stand when "proof" of hoaxing gets taken at face value. Evidence is evidence, good or bad, you'd expect the same rigurs of investigation if someone claims they saw Bigfoot, as if someone else claims they faked it by running around in a costume, but that's almost never the case. Like that one theory that was on the BBC website about Nessie being sightings of elephants from circuses that had been let out to swim in the loch, which is possibly more ridiculous than the idea of a dinosaur, but which gets wheeled out by cynics now as proof that there's nothing there."Haven't you heard, mate, it's elephants you mug :D"060309_loch_ness.jpgOne of Inverness's many circus elephants, there.That's a real bugbear of mine :(I'm still not sure I buy the story about the hoaxing of the Surgeon's photo either.Regarding this story as a whole, the reason I got a bit excited was because the awesome Loren Coleman (think a sane Cryptozoological Dave Meltzer) seemed to be very hopeful on the basis of something he'd been shown in private. This was after the youtube videos came out too. He's changed his tune now though. Edited by Woyzeck

• Paid Members

Personally I find the concept of amazing undiscovered sea creatures far easier to stomach than Bigfoot and the like. Not a believer in the Loch Ness monster, but if we're still discovering things like the Megamouth Shark then I can't imagine what else might be lurking in the oceans.