The Fortean/paranormal/conspiracy thread

Astro Hollywood

• Paid Members

Maybe I've misread or misunderstood, but if not, they found the body (were lucky enough to spot others wandering around near by - no photos mind) wrapped it in bin bags and stuffed it in their freezer for a couple of weeks, allowing one "expert" to view it. They are now hold a press conference during which or after actual scientists etc will finally get the opportunity to examine it.Ok, I'd like to think this is true, and if it isn't I can't figure out what tomorrow is all about. However, why the fuck was it not instantly handed over to the appropriate people instead of being dumped in a freezer? One of these guys is a copper! Am I making something of nothing?

Personally I find the concept of amazing undiscovered sea creatures far easier to stomach than Bigfoot and the like. Not a believer in the Loch Ness monster, but if we're still discovering things like the Megamouth Shark then I can't imagine what else might be lurking in the oceans.

True say. So much of the oceans are not just unexplored but virtually unexplorable, there's bound to be a ton of stuff lurking down there that we know nothing about. I remember on The Blue Planet (one of the most awesome things ever on TV) they showed all sorts of life at such great depths that nothing was thought able to live due to a lack of light. When they found that stuff, science had to re-assess a lot of its assumptions about what was necessary for life to even exist.

• Moderators

Personally I find the concept of amazing undiscovered sea creatures far easier to stomach than Bigfoot and the like. Not a believer in the Loch Ness monster, but if we're still discovering things like the Megamouth Shark then I can't imagine what else might be lurking in the oceans.

True say. So much of the oceans are not just unexplored but virtually unexplorable, there's bound to be a ton of stuff lurking down there that we know nothing about. I remember on The Blue Planet (one of the most awesome things ever on TV) they showed all sorts of life at such great depths that nothing was thought able to live due to a lack of light. When they found that stuff, science had to re-assess a lot of its assumptions about what was necessary for life to even exist.
The ocean and the Amazon are definitely the best chances for uncovering something really cool. I don't know how true this is, geography is not my strong point, but the Amazon is the size of the US minus Alaska, and supposedly 90% unexplored. It also has the most exciting Cryptozoological tales.

Bill Bryson covers the same thing. We have this set of rules which we use to decide is life can exist on other planets while at the exact same time those rules are broken in our own oceans.

• Moderators

Ok, I'd like to think this is true, and if it isn't I can't figure out what tomorrow is all about. However, why the fuck was it not instantly handed over to the appropriate people instead of being dumped in a freezer?

$$$There are figures flying about for what's been paid for full rights to the autopsy and such, upwards of $15m. The press conference was originally down for September 1st, but they're obviously panicking and have moved it up to tomorrow.

Hi Guys.:)Did anyone watch land of the jaguar on bbc1 last night where they climbed a very dangerous tabletop mountain that had a huge forest on top of it that no one had ever explored?. It was great watching but it was a shame they didnt find the mystery mammal that made the footprints they believe it was some type of unknown member of the weasel family and it would be awesome if they dedicated a series of shows to just exploring that mountain top.:)David

The ocean and the Amazon are definitely the best chances for uncovering something really cool. I don't know how true this is, geography is not my strong point, but the Amazon is the size of the US minus Alaska, and supposedly 90% unexplored. It also has the most exciting Cryptozoological tales.
Yeah, but at the rate it's being destroyed, there'll be no habitat left for those creatures by the time we find them.I'm assuming you've read Last Chance To See by Douglas Adams? Awesome, if very sad, book, full of weird and wonderful creatures.

This has already drifted away from Charles Fort, but I'll say my minor piece and no more - the Wikipedia page is incredibly kind to him, and stretches truth quite a way. In fact, reading further down the page, some of it is so far outside their POV guidelines as to be laughable- the sections "biography" and "writing style", for example.

Some skeptics and critics have frequently called Fort credulous and na

However, why the fuck was it not instantly handed over to the appropriate people instead of being dumped in a freezer?

Yeah, why the big paws??
I don't know whether to laugh or cry. Please don't have started another pun thread.

• Moderators

This has already drifted away from Charles Fort, but I'll say my minor piece and no more - the Wikipedia page is incredibly kind to him, and stretches truth quite a way. In fact, reading further down the page, some of it is so far outside their POV guidelines as to be laughable- the sections "biography" and "writing style", for example.

Yeah, that is a rather weasel-wordy bio, but I'm extremely familiar with all his work and he's definitely closer to a satirist than some sort of 1920's Yvette Fielding. His passion was unearthing clippings that had gotten swept under the rug, then releasing them back into the wild for perusal, and he didn't rally against science because he wanted to believe, he despised the way science would argue according to their own beliefs, rather than the evidence at hand. Half the time you get the impression he didn't believe anything and was just fucking around to get under their skin.Off the top of my head, a good example of his ideology is the rains of fish or frogs, which are always explained as being the result of whirlwinds sucking them out of ponds and into the sky, where they later rain down. Except that nobody ever reported a pond missing its contents, the frogs and fish were never accompanied by anything else that might have been there with them in the pond, nobody ever saw them going into the sky - just coming down, and so on. There's as much evidence of the whirlwind actually being the case as there is of them falling straight out of God's frogshitting arse.While some of the writing is dated, explanations of that time sometimes didn't stretch further than "a prank by some negros."It's a shame that you really can't associate with anything remotely Fortean or paranormal without the general public or your average bloke down the pub automatically assuming you're a flake who buys any old shit. There are a ton of credible researchers out there who do more to debunk and get to the truth than the types who'll dismiss something with one sneery, ill-researched comment, but they're mostly seen as Them Rubes What Believes In Silly Stuff. Stunts like this need to be exposed and exposed early, as they hurt any credible efforts.

I'm obviously not surprised that the Bigfoot has turned out to be a fake. There's an important lesson to take from this, though, and it flies directly in the face of Woyzeck's "Nah, this will be horrible for their business. If they're exposed as liars and frauds, I doubt they'll even continue with it.". James Randi once appeared on the Tonight Show With Johnny Carson in the USA, and did an expose of psychic surgery. He explained how they did it then did a demonstration on one of Carson's staff. The next day, the Tonight show got a large number of calls about the piece. And what did every single one of the phone calls want? They wanted to know which Caribbean island you could go to for psychic surgery. Even though the man had proved it was a hoax before their very eyes some people just carried on believing in it. This publicity will be amazing for the Bigfoot business.

I'm not so sure. I was probably looking at it from too close inside the Fortean sub-culture rather than considering what the general public would make of it. I compared it to Britwres before, which it definitely is in terms of self made subculture celebrities and feuding between the sides who are desperate to discredit each other. I figured the outing of this would put the bigfoot hunters up there with the likes of (and nobody but me will know who these people are) Jan Sundberg of GUST and the supposedly-late Erik "I was Mothman and there are 60 baby Bigfoot in this picture" Beckjord, who nobody listens to, but who continue to do their own thing regardless. Especially considering that the Georgia cop involved is a known kook, and these are (I think) the same bigfoot hunters who were selling bigfoot hunting tours on eBay with no bids.Randi is cool though, if a lot dogmatic.That's a lot of words.Kenny, I've not read that book.

Kenny, I've not read that book.

You really should. Everyone should. I know you'd appreciate the sense of humour, and the discussions about weird creatures and how they're disappearing is really interesting, if tragically sad.