The Fortean/paranormal/conspiracy thread

Astro Hollywood

• Moderators

I've heard nothing yet. They of course have the loophole that while they said the autopsy would be today, but they didn't specify when the results would be released. I think it's safe to assume the lady from Fox isn't there.

CNN have a pretty laughable piece up on one of their blogs entitled "Why CNN covers things like this Bigfoot nonsense." Considering the Bigfoot thing was making up three of the top four stories on their website over the weekend, I'd think their excuses shouldn't go much further than "for ratings, of course!" but they're trying to paint themselves as smart and above it all, while cashing in regardless. See also the News Of The World's Heath Ledger doing coke video that's purely up there to educate young people on the dangers of drugs.

The men involved have relaunched their website, and it looks like what websites look like in movies from 1999.

Edited by Woyzeck

They've taken Bigfoot's DNA for "analization." I don't think I want to know. :unsure:

Who's 'they' accredited scientists? Their own people? Fox news? WHO!!!!I've got to know who's in on this conspiracy!!!

Good thread, and I'm very sympathetic to Woyzeck (who I realise now is Sickboy??). I really want to believe.BUT but but, the problem is that whilst I firmly believe that there are plenty of things out there which are not currently documented or explained in mainstream science, the whole area of Fortean, cryptozoology etc is just awash with fraudsters, kooks, criminals, wackos and zealots. Trying to tease out any valid argument or evidence from the sea of shit is extremely difficult. One main problem is that these conspiracy/Fortean ares of interest seem to attract devotees who are neither particularly bright or particularly discerning, and so incorrect information and rumour circulates almost endlessly on the internet.Even those who have the appearence of proper scientific rigour often let you down. I was hugely influenced by Fingerprints Of the Gods by Graeme Hancock when it was first published, but for all its elegance and seductive science it was basically a big load of bullshit, as even he has now admitted. Same with Bob Dean, elder statesman of UFO investigation. I head him talk at Manchester Uni in 96 (I have the recording if anyone wants it), but over the years his fascinating story has been slowly teased apart by more rigorous debunkers.There are a few things that I still hold onto though. I believe the Great Pyramid at Giza and the Sprinx are a lot older than currently dated, and point to the mouth-watering prospect that civilization is a lot older than we think. I believe that Mokele-Mbembe is out there, and is quite possibly a fragmentary population remnant of a long-thought extinct hominid species. But I don't buy this Bigfoot discovery. There is too much flimflammery and drip-feed information, too much carny about the whole thing. If they had anything real, they would have had it rigorously tested by top men (top men) by now, and the whole thing would be out in the open. As Woyzeck said, we're halfway to the Hamptons.EDIT: "However, since their discovery, Whitton and Dyer have started offering weekend bigfoot search expeditions in Georgia for $499." This is why they are still stretching out the reveal. As long as they don't produce a body, there will be people who not only believe them, but will pay 500 dollars a pop to be driven out into the bush to look at some trees.

Edited by Loki

• Moderators

I believe that Mokele-Mbembe is out there, and is quite possibly a fragmentary population remnant of a long-thought extinct hominid species.

Mokele-Mbembe and the Orang-Pendek are our best chance of finding something I think. Specifically the Orang-Pendek, which they've had a few close calls with already, and I wouldn't be surprised if that's found and proven within the next decade. If Mokele-Mbembe has survived, it's done so because it's such a far flung, uninhabited place, so it'll go evaded from white man's honky eyes for a while longer. Barring the kooky stuff about red lights, the Ropen is pretty believable too.

"However, since their discovery, Whitton and Dyer have started offering weekend bigfoot search expeditions in Georgia for $499." This is why they are still stretching out the reveal. As long as they don't produce a body, there will be people who not only believe them, but will pay 500 dollars a pop to be driven out into the bush to look at some trees.

The "this is real" theory on this is that these two clueless hicks really didn't know what they were dealing with, and being hunters, the only way they could think to make money was to organise hunts. Then they called Tom the Carney and everything exploded.Obviously the other theory is that it's a load of old toot and the cop who shot himself in the wrist was looking to leave anyway, so this is his new source of income. But apparently the hatred in Georgia for the three men is so intense that when it all comes out as a hoax, they'll have to disappear. Right now they're all in hiding with their phones turned off.I can't find it now, but I did read one report (among the thousands) yesterday that named the "doctors" who'd be doing the autopsy. They were both legitimate, insofar as they were real and worked at colleges, but they'd both had doings in the world of cryptozoology before.

• Moderators

Well, that's it. Fucking hell. I wonder if they even had a plan after the press conference? They literally must be the stupidest men who ever lived if they thought people would pay to go on hunts but not bother to ask "say, about that autopsy..." Stupid fucking shitheads.

People like this, or Derek Acorah, always strike me like a lying child. They're so defensive and repeat the lie so often, that they probably end up half believing it themselves.

• Moderators

Here's the full article, from www.searchingforbigfoot.com

Its official, the 'Bigfoot' claimed to have been found and stored in a freezer by two hunters in Georgia has been thawed and found to be nothing more than a rubber costume. On a press release posted on the Searching for Bigfoot web site, executive director Steve Kulls outlined the events leading up to this discovery and said his organisation will be 'seeking justice' both for themselves and for everyone else that has been deceived. The following is the press release detailing the thawing of the body and the events surrounding the revelation that this has indeed been a hoax from day one.Steve Kulls: Good afternoon. I am Steve Kulls Executive Director of Squatchdetective.com and Host of Squatchdetective Radio. I am here with Bob Schmalzbach, Vice President of Searching for Bigfoot, Inc. I had been invited to be a witness of the thawing of the alleged Bigfoot Body by the Searching for Bigfoot team. As an independent researcher, it has been Squatchdetective.com's goal to obtain proof positive in all cases when either trying to substantiate a claim or debunk it, so as there is no question to the matter's certainty. Having worked in the past, with Searching for Bigfoot, Inc., I understand that it has always been their corporate goal, “to tell it like they see it, as it happens, and when it happens”. In my organization's limited involvement with Searching For Bigfoot, Inc. it is and has been the goal of both organizations to obtain the truth in this and all matters.On July 9th, 2008, Matthew Whitton and Ricky Dyer placed a video on Youtube making the claim they had recovered the body of a Bigfoot body. Their website, Bigfoottracker.com also echoed the sentiment. At that time I had doubts and followed the story for two weeks when on July 25th, 2008 I placed a video response to challenge them to come on to Squatchdetective Radio on July 28th , 2008.On July 14th, 2008 an article was published where Whitton released a statement to his local newspaper, the Clayton Times Daily stating that they had recovered the body of a Bigfoot.The afternoon of July 28th, 2008, Ricky Dyer asked if I would call him and after interviewing him using various forensic interviewing techniques, which I have been trained on, I could not get an accurate read on him as I was seeing deception on numerous things, but insisted he had a body in his possession. At one point he asked me who Tom Biscardi was. I immediately surmised however their motive was financial.After concluding my one plus hour long phone call with Dyer I called the CEO of Searching for Bigfoot, Tom Biscardi, and we discussed the matter. We, at that time decided it best to turn the investigation over to Mr. Biscardi and his team. My involvement in the remainder of the process was as an independent observer.The following are my observations and the facts as I understand and know them:On August 1st, 2008 Tom Biscardi traveled to Georgia and on August 2nd was given a sample, allegedly, from the corpse, for DNA testing. The DNA was hand delivered to Dr. Curt Nelson of Michigan and a chain of custody of the said sample was maintained from the time it was received from Ricky Dyer and Matthew Whitton.On August 4th, 2008 both Matthew Whitton and Ricky Dyer entered a legally binding contract with Searching For Bigfoot, Inc .recognizing the fact that Searching for Bigfoot, had absolutely nothing to do in the demise or storage of the corpse until such time as it was transferred to Searching For Bigfoot for the benefit of scientific study, marketing and promotion.On August 10th, 2008 Tom Biscardi received an email from Dr. Nelson that after the amplifications of two of the three samples, that the size of the DNA was consistent with human/ape DNA.On or about August 12th, 2008, Matthew Whitton and Ricky Dyer requested an undisclosed sum of money as an advance, expected from the marketing and promotion, and as a good faith gesture of the contract.On August 14th, 2008, after signing a transfer receipt for the amount money requested and counting said money, Matthew Whitton and Ricky Dyer led the Searching for Bigfoot Team to a location and turned over a freezer with something appearing large, hairy, and frozen in ice.On August 15th, 2008, Tom Biscardi, Ricky Dyer and Matthew Whitton held a press conference at the Cabana Hotel in Paolo Alto, California, announcing that the corpse of a creature fitting the description known as “Bigfoot” had been discovered. A police officer of seven years, on medical leave, labeled as a hero for being wounded in the line of duty, got up in front of the world and told the world of how he and Ricky Dyer uncovered this creature. This has since been proven a lie. It is notable that Rick Dyer insisted on this press conference and told Tom Biscardi he would not release the “body” unless the conference was held on this specific date.On August 16th, 2008 the freezer containing the alleged corpse arrived with the Searching For Bigfoot Team. I arrived on location at 6PM to provide initial verification examination, biohazard control and consult for security measures at the location. At that time the ice was being thawed slowly without aid, to prevent any decomposition of the alleged corpse. We estimated that the freezer and its contents weighed over 1500 pounds and it would take several days or longer to thaw completely.On August 17th, 2008 Searching for Bigfoot Team Director of Field Operations, TJ Biscardi and myself, were up early to discover that some hair was now exposed. I extracted some from the alleged corpse and examined it and had some concerns. Bob Schmalzbach arrived and concurred. We burned said sample and said hair sample melted into a ball uncharacteristic of hair.At that time we contacted Mr. Biscardi who gave us permission to begin an expedited melting process. We set up a salamander heater to heat the freezer.Within one hour we were able to see the partially exposed head, as I was now able to touch it, I was able to feel that it seemed mostly firm, but unusually hollow in one small section. This was yet another ominous sign. Within the next hour of thaw, a break appeared up near the feet area. As the team and I began examining this area near the feet, I observed the foot which looked unnatural, reached in and confirmed it was a rubber foot.At that point we immediately contacted, Tom Biscardi and advised him of the situation and he began to take action on his end. Later that day, Tom Biscardi informed us that both Matthew Whitton and Ricky Dyer admitted it was a costume. They reportedly agreed to sign a promissory note and admission of what they had done, and set a meeting in their hotel room in California for 8AM on August 17th, 2008.At that time I drew up the documents for Mr. Biscardi. On August 17th, 2008 Tom Biscardi went to the hotel where Dyer and Whitton were staying and found that they had left. At this time action is being instigated against the perpetrators of this fraud. Tom Biscardi asked us to contact you, the press, and share all that we have discovered.The motives behind this fraud are still unknown at this time. It is still unclear why Whitton who, being a police officer for the Clayton County Police Department in Georgia got up before the world and lied and was complicit in a scheme to defraud in a felonious manner.At this time the victim of this series of deceptions, Searching for Bigfoot, Inc., is seeking justice for themselves and for all the people who were deceived by this deception. Due to this event peoples lives have been disrupted and many people, so wanting vindication about there prior experiences were hurt. Let us all try to be mindful of such.On behalf of myself I can say with certainty Matthew Whitton and Ricky Dyer not the best Bigfoot trackers in the world!

Looks like Tom has his out though, for the second time he can claim "I was lied to!" like when he went on CoasttoCoastAM a few years ago claiming he had two live bigfoots, then when he failed to reveal them said that the person who convinced him she'd captured two was decieving him. What an absolute cunt.Searchingforbigfoot.com can act all hurt and triumphant, but they're being complicit too, portraying Tom as the poor ol' guy who's devastated by a second betrayal and trying to get him off the hook while portraying themselves as the real Bigfoot trackers. This thing is typical of the whole autofellating subculture. A couple of quotes from Blogsquatcher.Blogspot.com who were doing PBP on an internet radio show where this was all revealed.

STOLEN FROM BFF: Steve Kulls has REPEATEDLY absolved Biscardi of any responsibility. Please explain to me how Biscardi is not responsible when he HIRED Robert Barrows and called a press conference claiming to have TOUCHED the body? WHAT IS KULLS GETTING OUT OF THIS? Why is he standing up for Biscardi?

KATHY STRAIN: "Talked to Tom and he said he touched the body. He touched it, he knew it was fake and he continued to lie, don't protect him."

LATE CURIOSITY UPDATE: There was a pair of callers who started going into a ridiculous riff about bigfoot and the movie Die Hard. Posters on BFF think it was Whitton and Dyer. At the time I thought that too, and then decided it couldn't be them because, hey, the LAW is after them.. but wait, who said that has to be true? I'll bet there isn't any law going after them at all. I'll bet that's part of the story concocted to save Tom Biscardi's biscuits. I need to see some proof of this impending legal jeopardy please.

Edited by Woyzeck

• Paid Members

The men involved have relaunched their website, and it looks like what websites look like in movies from 1999.

Im not sure which is funniest, the premise, the content, the background music or the fantastic web design.Incidentally, is that background music Mr President, of 'Coco Jambo' fame?

• Moderators

There's talk now that warrents have been issued for the arrest of the two men. Not Tom though, he's washing his hands of them. If the warrents thing is true - which it probably isn't - then that's what they get for shacking up with a noted conman, knives in the back because he didn't get his money. He'll be back in another few years with his latest fiasco.Some other random quote I just read.

I'm scanning the internets for any confirmation of this news. So far nothing, but I did find this fascinating fact from a new National Geographic piece: "There's been at least a thousand stories in newspapers across the world," Moneymaker said. "Before this, the highest record was about 200 articles in newspapers." We're going to be suffering from the fallout of this for a very long time.

:( :angry:I guess it's as good a theory as any that this was always a weird double bluff with the two men and Tom both lying to each other. Tom knew it was a fake body but always intended to ride it out as long as he could so that he could get his name out there as Mr. Bigfoot, then come out of it with what he considers to be clean hands by saying he was conned, while the hunters were too stupid to know what was going on and fell for the carney stuff of "we're all going to be millionaires!" Edited by Woyzeck

I find it ironic that Loki is posting about Hoaxes

:confused: ---Tough luck, Woyzeck. It's all a bit of a laugh though, really, I can't see they did too much wrong. The only harm is that people who are genuinely intelligently interested in such things, like yourself, are tainted by association with the story. That's why my initial stance (and that of the reputable scientific community) is always sceptical - there's just too much history of fraud in the area of Bigfoot.Woyzeck, what's your take on the Patterson-Gimlin film? Edited by Loki