Off-Topic Questions Thread - closed. Open new threads for specific questions please.

KRS

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Ralphy said:

thank you, off to Jakarta in September, once in a lifetime offer that i couldn't turn down, paid for flights and accommodation! I doubt i will ever get such an offer again. Its not on my dream destinations to go to, but who knows, i will probably love it! 

Wow, that's great! Well jealous. I know loads of people who've lived in Jakarta and loved it. From what they told me, can be a bit of a crowded and dirty city in places, but the weather's great, the food's awesome, and it's really cheap. Enjoy!

• Replies 10.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Never been to Jakarta, Ralphy, but if you get the chance, maybe try to check out Bali, too. I know you can get a super cheap flight from Jakarta to Bali using some local airline I forget the name of now.

I know there's a few of you on here who are currently/have studied at Uni, so thought I'd just ask for some general advice.

I'm moving out in a fortnight, and I'm starting to brick it. I've handed my notice in at work and everything, and it's all going extremely quickly. I'm signed up for a "Fast Track Access Course" for Teacher Training, which will enable me to get a place on the standard September course upon completion (Fuck off, UCAS points). So I'm living on campus for six weeks, which might not seem too drastic but when the longest time I've spent fending for myself is a week, it seems like an eternity. 

Basically, I'm just after some advice or tips about general uni life. I'll be going on my own, and don't know a single person going to where I'm studying (Edgehill, if that's worth anything) so any pointers would be greatly appreciated!

• Paid Members

Has anyone flown to any of the Greek Islands on a Thomas Cook airline recently? We're flying with them at the end of the month and wondered if they are likely to have any entertainment(TV's etc) on the flights? It's been years since I have flown with them, and wondering if it would be worth me packing my youngest's tablet to keep her busy?

It depends which model of plane you are on @Cod Eye if you are on one of the smaller planes it will be the old school tv monitor in the middle of the aisle. If it is one of the newer planes then there is individual entertainment units.

It is free but you only get a limited choice of about 8 films, 10 tv programmes and themusic channels. There is an upgrade option to get more TV shows and 100 more films. I would recommend loading a tablet or mobile phone with your own stuff.

1 hour ago, AdamTH17 said:

I know there's a few of you on here who are currently/have studied at Uni, so thought I'd just ask for some general advice.

I'm moving out in a fortnight, and I'm starting to brick it. I've handed my notice in at work and everything, and it's all going extremely quickly. I'm signed up for a "Fast Track Access Course" for Teacher Training, which will enable me to get a place on the standard September course upon completion (Fuck off, UCAS points). So I'm living on campus for six weeks, which might not seem too drastic but when the longest time I've spent fending for myself is a week, it seems like an eternity. 

Basically, I'm just after some advice or tips about general uni life. I'll be going on my own, and don't know a single person going to where I'm studying (Edgehill, if that's worth anything) so any pointers would be greatly appreciated!

I work at a uni, the best advice I can give is to remember that everyone else will be in exactly the same situation. Uni's are really good at helping people to get settled in, there should be loads of entertainment put on to suit all tastes (my place does specific 'dry nights', for instance, for people who don't drink). It can be terrifying at first, but just chat to people - start with people on your course and common interests (like teaching, why you want to do it, etc) and things will flow from there.

• Paid Members
24 minutes ago, Glenryck Pilchards said:

It depends which model of plane you are on @Cod Eye if you are on one of the smaller planes it will be the old school tv monitor in the middle of the aisle. If it is one of the newer planes then there is individual entertainment units.

It is free but you only get a limited choice of about 8 films, 10 tv programmes and themusic channels. There is an upgrade option to get more TV shows and 100 more films. I would recommend loading a tablet or mobile phone with your own stuff.

Cheers for that @Glenryck Pilchards! I suppose it won't hurt to load up her tablet anyway, and if it what is being shown is not suitable then we can always give her it. Was just trying to avoid her using the tablet on holiday as she spends enough time on it as it is. 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, AdamTH17 said:

Grecian has already given you great advice. My situation was different to yours in that I already live in London, had a job that I could work part-time, had friends and family around me already - but even then, I met many people in university who I now consider friends. I didn't engage in the typical uni experience of going out and getting smashed and Freshers Week and all that stuff - I was in my late 20s when I started at uni, so that stuff was behind me. But if you're doing stuff like that, you'll just find people you like, you'll also find them in your modules and stuff. You'll be fine.

• Paid Members

Hi there! Need to get out my house for a few weeks \ months due to the constant rowing with me and Mum. I need a place to stay. It would only be me. What are my rights in this situation? I just need somewhere for a few weeks because I feel like I'm going to snap pretty bad. Thanks.

• Paid Members

My Mum is a housing officer at my local council, and her advice would be sort your issues out and go home. There are people with nothing being given tents to sleep in at the moment. You would be so far down the list of priorities you probably wouldn’t even get a tent! Seriously, if you went to the council saying you’ve fallen out with your Mum and need a place to stay they will probably just walk out of the room. The housing situation is really, really fucking dire at the moment even for people in horrendous circumstances. 

• Paid Members
8 hours ago, bAzTNM#1 said:

Hi there! Need to get out my house for a few weeks \ months due to the constant rowing with me and Mum. I need a place to stay. It would only be me. What are my rights in this situation? I just need somewhere for a few weeks because I feel like I'm going to snap pretty bad. Thanks.

Like Waters says. You'll be about as far down the priority list as you can get. In the eyes of the local housing authority, you're a single, childless male with no dependents who has a place to live but doesn't want to be there. Even if you were higher up on a priority list the waiting list would still be far longer than you probably want. Do you not have any friends you could stay with for a couple of weeks to see if it sorts itself out?

Archived