Off-Topic Questions Thread - closed. Open new threads for specific questions please.

KRS

• Paid Members

Are all digital downloads of music tied to subscription services? Is it not possible to DL single tracks to devices without having to sign up to a restrictive subscription service.

I'm guessing that its to combat piracy. Frustrating nonetheless.

• Replies 10.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Thanks for the info. I didn't know about some of those places. Google Play seems to want me to subscribe to their service before allowing me to purchase a single. I could sign up for a trial period. However if I cancel this subscription service. I lose access to the downloaded items. 

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Chest Rockwell said:

Understandable. Amazon is pretty niche, not many people are aware of them.

Amazon operate a very similar system to Google. I'll check out the other places you suggested.

• Paid Members
53 minutes ago, BigJag said:

Amazon operate a very similar system to Google. I'll check out the other places you suggested.

Neither Amazon or Google Play force you into their subscription services. They want you to sure but neither of them you have to join in order to access your purchases. I've bought plenty on both and don't have either of their subscription services.

Let's say you want to buy the classic Chesney Hawkes single. Type in "I am the one and only, click on the top hit:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B01KJG126K/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1523374956&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=I+am+the+one+and+only&dpPl=1&dpID=51jnIZGPNnL&ref=plSrch

There's the big button that says "Buy £0.99" as soon as you click that. No subscription required. 

Chesney was in an uber just before me. Uber driver had no idea who he was, says to me "I just had a musician in. Said his name was Chesney something..." There's me going "oh wow, you must know his big song?" [SINGS THE FIRST BIT OF THE CHORUS] 

Uber driver: "..." 

• Paid Members
47 minutes ago, DEF said:

Neither Amazon or Google Play force you into their subscription services. They want you to sure but neither of them you have to join in order to access your purchases. I've bought plenty on both and don't have either of their subscription services.

I must be doing something wrong. My Google play app won't even let me search without subscribing.

@hallicks thanks for the advice. Sadly the track I'm looking for isn't on the Amazon service. It's a Punjabi language song by Mannat Noor.

6 minutes ago, BigJag said:

I must be doing something wrong. My Google play app won't even let me search without subscribing.

@hallicks thanks for the advice. Sadly the track I'm looking for isn't on the Amazon service. It's a Punjabi language song by Mannat Noor.

Why are you searching on Google play? Sorry to ask a silly question. What happens when you search for Mannat Noor on the Amazon website? 

• Paid Members
15 minutes ago, BigJag said:

Are you searching the Google Play store or using the Google Music app? Using the Google Play Store app I searched Mannat Noor and it gave me a list of songs and prices.

Archived