Off-Topic Questions Thread - closed. Open new threads for specific questions please.

KRS

• Replies 10.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Are you coming to this as a complete novice. How are your electronics skills?

If you can provide a bit more info as to which channels you want to access. I may be able to help. To be honest. I've never come across a conversion such as the one you've requested. It is also possible that I may have misunderstood what you're trying to do.

It would also help to know which generation of VM box you're looking to use. 

• Paid Members

Not sure of the gen, I'd need to unbox it as it's been in storage while I've been away, limited tech skill but I can do basics. 

I've found guides for turning the HDD into a portable drive for a laptop, and hacking and data from the drive to a PC, but really it would be good to just have it as a recorder for the freeview I get through the telly as is. 

• Paid Members

The issue you'll have is that the cable signal from VM is not the same as the Freeview signal. Therefore feeding it into the HDD will not be a simple task. You'll likely need to turn the box into a free view receiver. Not easily done.

If you have a VM feed available. Check the box on that first. You may be able to receive a selection of  Free To Air channels. Without having to make any alterations.

• Paid Members

Gang, I get the whole re-marketing thing, but when I log into Facebook, and it can be anywhere, using my mobile on the bus etc, I very reguarly see adverts for products my wife has looked at on line.  ebay listings, clothing, toys for the kids birthdays etc.

Could that simply be because of the network i'm sharing, or would my account have to have been logged into by one of her devices in order for me to being seeing those ads?  Any idea?  

If it's any help, my girlfriend has talked about things she would like when she is by the till in the shop (Which is linked to eBay etc so they can scan for how much donations go for) and when she gets home, the Facebook ads appear.

• Paid Members
5 hours ago, John Matrix said:

Gang, I get the whole re-marketing thing, but when I log into Facebook, and it can be anywhere, using my mobile on the bus etc, I very reguarly see adverts for products my wife has looked at on line.  ebay listings, clothing, toys for the kids birthdays etc.

Could that simply be because of the network i'm sharing, or would my account have to have been logged into by one of her devices in order for me to being seeing those ads?  Any idea?  

Do you share an computer at home. Could be pulling it through from that? 

• Paid Members

Or if you're sometimes using the same browser without switching profiles

Chrome is bad for this as its linked to your Google account. I recently switched to Firefox Quantum (way better than Chrome btw) and she still uses Chrome so I no longer see ads targeted at her.

How does bandwidth work with website hosting? 

I've created a Wix website which I need to upgrade to premium in order to use a domain. There's various options, and ideally the cheaper the better. There's an option for 2gb bandwidth, and I'm just unsure what that means exactly. 

Can someone enlighten me? 

57 minutes ago, Steve Justice said:

How does bandwidth work with website hosting? 

I've created a Wix website which I need to upgrade to premium in order to use a domain. There's various options, and ideally the cheaper the better. There's an option for 2gb bandwidth, and I'm just unsure what that means exactly. 

Can someone enlighten me? 

Every image, webpage, etc is a file on your web server and has a file size. Each time someone accesses your site the files are sent to the local browser so there's a transfer of data. So if you say the average size of a page on your site is 1mb, then if someone accessed 10 pages they've used 10mb of your monthly bandwidth allowance. That's a very basic and crude description, essentially it's like data allowances on your phone but in reverse.

• Paid Members
Just now, David said:

WordPress is by far the better option if you have the time and a bit of know-how to make it work, in my opinion.

Time isn't on my side, to be honest. But I will probably lean toward WordPress, with BuildGrid, with Wix as a backup in case it all goes wrong. I have to produce a ton of content: front page headline articles, with links to the 'explainer' topics in the site's glossary of terms (it's a news, sport and entertainment - focusing on YouTube 'stars' in the entertainment section - aimed at 11-16 year olds), features for each section (probably about six features overall), plus all the images and video I need to produce. And I have less than four weeks to get this all together! The website itself is actually the least of my worries as I was told by my project supervisor that the marking isn't based on how the website looks, really, and is all about the content.

Archived