Off-Topic Questions Thread - closed. Open new threads for specific questions please.

KRS

Looking for some advice. I have broken my ankle, had surgery today (10 screws and a metal plate ffs) and will be on crutches for 6 weeks as of tomorow. I have physio in the morning and hoping to leave here haha. Main thing I'm worried about is getting up and down stairs. Has anyone had experience? Got any tips? Also how difficult is it? Its the one thing that is really worrying me.

On a side note. Thank you to all the posts in this forum. Has really kept me going reading all your views and opinions on everything on daily basis (even the shit posts, mentiong no usernames 😂) really is a great place.

• Replies 10.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
16 minutes ago, thevestofdeanambrose said:

Looking for some advice. I have broken my ankle, had surgery today (10 screws and a metal plate ffs) and will be on crutches for 6 weeks as of tomorow. I have physio in the morning and hoping to leave here haha. Main thing I'm worried about is getting up and down stairs. Has anyone had experience? Got any tips? Also how difficult is it? Its the one thing that is really worrying me.

On a side note. Thank you to all the posts in this forum. Has really kept me going reading all your views and opinions on everything on daily basis (even the shit posts, mentiong no usernames 😂) really is a great place.

I broke my leg (but it was basically my ankle, all three main bones in there) and had a metal plate and screws put in back in November. Original prognosis was on crutches in a cast for six weeks. That first six weeks, I honestly didn't even attempt going up and down stairs - I didn't leave the house more than once, other than to the hospital. Obviously, this might not be an option for you, if you have to work or whatever. The one time I did try and go up some stairs, at Christmas, I nearly fell and reinjured myself.

There is a way to do it, if you Google it, but I'd say just avoid doing anything - aside from what your doctor or physio tells you -  for as long as you can, while you recuperate.

For me, although the bone was tehcnically healed after about seven weeks, I didn't get back to proper walking until the end of January, and even now my ankle and foot swell up at the end of every day (which I'm told can happen for around 18 months after the break) and it's very stiff first thing. Good luck.

EDIT:

it's very stiff first thing

kennethwilliams.gif

• Paid Members
5 minutes ago, thevestofdeanambrose said:

Cheers @SpursRiot2012. Much appreciated. Regarding work, didnt mention what makes it a double nightmare. The day it happened, I was offered a new job and due to start in a couple of weeks. How's your luck lol! Can't really afford to take off the six weeks so hopefully I can become a jedi crutch master in short time!

How did the break happen? I had left my job in September to concentrate on my studies (see my posts elsewhere today to see how that went), but was convinced by my girlfriend to use a no-win, no-fee solicitor to seek damages from the outdoor venue where it happened (we felt they had some liability due to poor lighting and stewarding). As I wasn't working, there are no lost earnings but you can claim for things like taxis, medications etc and there will be (well, I hope) a level of damages awarded for the injury itself - if the claim ever actually gets processed! Fucked up thing is, I'm now back at the same job I'd quit, so if I'd not quit in September, I could have claimed a chunk of change for lost earnings November through more or less the first half of February. 

So, could that be an option for you?

It also depends how you are on crutches. I'm a big guy, and can be clumsy, so for me crutching around to a job, using public transport, all that, especially in winter when floors were often slippery, the idea would just fill me with dread. I see people with crutches and what look like broken legs/ankles all the time, so it's doable. I was just 'lucky' in that I didn't have to be anywhere, really. Although it did mean I missed a number of Tottenham matches off my season ticket and flights we'd booked to Norway, which are again all being claimed for.

So i was out celebrating the new job, had a few drinks, and went over on my ankle going down a curb. Didn't realise and got up put all weight on it and that was the end of that. Bone was basically hanging out my ankle and have been in hospital since (morphine is amazing tho haha). So don't think there is any claim for been a drunken fool and wish I just stayed in now. Captain Hindsight and all that!

I'm quite a small lad so hoping I will be able to whip round on the crutches with no issues. I suppose all I can do is wait for the physio in the morning and hope for the best.

Thanks for all your advice it's very kind and also the fact I am an Arsenal fan we have created some North London broken ankle/leg bond here 😂

Purely hypothetical question here, of course.

Let's say someone donated The Anarchists Cookbook" to a charity shop that someone you know works at, and the manager said to try and flog it online as they shouldn't have it on the shelf.  I've tried researching it and saw that people have been nicked for having it under anti terrorism laws, but you can buy it from Amazon.

So, if someone called Keith H, no wait that's too obvious, K Houchen was to make a donation in exchange for the book, could plod come and take him away?

• Paid Members

I don't think the charity shop has any obligation to say where it went, and if it actually was illegal just to own it, it would be easier to find something online saying so.

If you start buying lots of nails and fertiliser then it might not do you any favours though.

• Paid Members

My guess would be that the cops tack on a charge about being in possession of material likely to be useful to a terrorist when they've nicked somebody for other terror-y stuff. They love to throw some extra charges on when it's an easy win. Resisting arrest is one they seem to love. 

You'll be fine. 

Yeah, I noticed when researching this hypothetical scenario that someone was taken to court for owning it and fuck all else, they were found not guilty.  Seems everyone else had, as you say, other paraphernalia. 

On an unrelated note, my garden looks bad and I've got shelves to put up, so I'm off to B&Q, like the bloke from Four Lions.

44 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

On an unrelated note, my garden looks bad and I've got shelves to put up, so I'm off to B&Q, like the bloke from Four Lions.

Don't go buy large amounts of fertiliser with a high nitrogen content and a ton of propane gas tanks, otherwise the old bill will turn up and you will get nicked.

I've recently purchased a second hand laptop from eBay. It's from a business seller who sell nothing but laptops/pc's etc. The laptop has a Windows 7 sticker on it, but has Windows 10 Pro installed. On the settings it says 'Windows is activated with a digital licence'. 

If I need to reset my laptop for any reason in the future, will it reset with Windows 10 still on it? Should I not have a licence key or something?

9 hours ago, johnnyboy said:

You can make Windows 10 recovery media from this page with a big USB stick:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

A digital Windows 10 licence will be locked to the hardware and should not require a licence key.  If you reinstall Windows 10 it should reactivate online.

Great stuff. Cheers for that. 

9 hours ago, Ralphy said:

what seller was it? im looking for a cheap lappy or desktop, would u recommend them,? 

I got a Lenovo Thinkpad T440, 4th Gen quad core i5, 2.5ghz, 8gb ram and a 256gb ssd for £250. For that spec it's a great price. The laptop itself is in a very used condition, but I'm not that fussed really. 

They've got decent feedback, so I'm sure they're OK. Seemed perfectly fine for me. 

The seller is laptopandpcwarehouse.ni

Archived