Off-Topic Questions Thread - closed. Open new threads for specific questions please.

KRS

• Paid Members
5 minutes ago, David said:

Sounds like the Extra theme from Elegant Themes would be perfect for it, but that can be a bit pricey.

Is this the one you're talking about? That does look right up my street. When you say "can be" a bit pricey - are there different places that sell these themes at different prices? Any particular sites you can recommend to buy themes through?

• Replies 10.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, this is an example of a live demo using the layout.

It's £63, which is steep if you're only using it the once, but if you were looking to create a few websites (such as a portfolio site, for example), then the fee is worth it as you get access to all of the Elegant Theme family of layouts.

Divi is their most famous, and it is beautiful. Some examples of sites built using this theme can be seen here, here and here. 

Again, it depends on what you're going to be doing over the next year or so, but coupled with a BlueHost hosting account (using the plus package) you'd be paying around £7.80 a month for hosting (you'll get a discount on your first month), and the Elegant Themes sub will cost you £5.25 spread over a year (it costs around £63 per year, paid yearly), so you could actually be saving money on a Wix premium account.

And bear in mind that Wix Premium cost per month is per website, whilst BlueHost with WordPress at the price I mentioned is unlimited sites, plus you don't pay extra for personalised email, whereas Wix charge another £4 or so for that per month.

Wix can be a bit fiddly, but the benefit is that does a lot of the hard work for you. For the most part I just dropped in the images, added text and changed the layout. The only struggle was finding out what each setting does and whether it was worth using. 

I've also found that the edits I made on my work Mac show different on my home Windows laptop, even though I was using Chrome on both. 

Here's my site in case you're interested - http://stevejustice420.wixsite.com/tdaa

Best viewed on a laptop/pc as I haven't configured the mobile view yet. Took me about 5 lunch breaks and a Sunday afternoon to get it looking like it does. 

• Paid Members
38 minutes ago, David said:

Yeah, this is an example of a live demo using the layout.

It's £63, which is steep if you're only using it the once, but if you were looking to create a few websites (such as a portfolio site, for example), then the fee is worth it as you get access to all of the Elegant Theme family of layouts.

Divi is their most famous, and it is beautiful. Some examples of sites built using this theme can be seen here, here and here. 

Again, it depends on what you're going to be doing over the next year or so, but coupled with a BlueHost hosting account (using the plus package) you'd be paying around £7.80 a month for hosting (you'll get a discount on your first month), and the Elegant Themes sub will cost you £5.25 spread over a year (it costs around £63 per year, paid yearly), so you could actually be saving money on a Wix premium account.

And bear in mind that Wix Premium cost per month is per website, whilst BlueHost with WordPress at the price I mentioned is unlimited sites, plus you don't pay extra for personalised email, whereas Wix charge another £4 or so for that per month.

Well, I'm planning to continue to develop the site beyond the end of my degree. I'm starting a Digital Journalism MA in September, so I'll be using it to test a lot of stuff. So might be worth doing as you've described above.

I wouldn't be able to actually buy the theme until my student loan comes in but that gives me about six days to then develop the site itself and in the meantime I can concentrate on writing all the content and putting together images and video.

Thanks (once again) for the helpful info.

6 minutes ago, Steve Justice said:

Wix can be a bit fiddly, but the benefit is that does a lot of the hard work for you. For the most part I just dropped in the images, added text and changed the layout. The only struggle was finding out what each setting does and whether it was worth using. 

I've also found that the edits I made on my work Mac show different on my home Windows laptop, even though I was using Chrome on both. 

Here's my site in case you're interested - http://stevejustice420.wixsite.com/tdaa

Best viewed on a laptop/pc as I haven't configured the mobile view yet. Took me about 5 lunch breaks and a Sunday afternoon to get it looking like it does. 

Sorry in advance for the double post, but that site looks decent enough to me (viewed on Chrome on a MacBook), although I'd maybe want to remove your actual email address and just use the contact form. Sticking your email in there is a surefire way to get hit with a ton of spam.

But yeah, looks fine.

Hi guys, quick laptop question. I have a Vostro 1510, it is very old, it is very slow. It gets so hot that if I have it on my lap too long, it starts lagging until I hold it at an angle until it corrects itself. That's beside the point. Long story short, its absolutely fucked. 

Yesterday something happened and now it is continuously opening multiple tabs over and over, which I can't figure out how to sort.

I seem to remember this happening before and it seemed like it was a button that was stuck and I fixed it by turning the laptop upside down (I may be making this up). The bloody dog laid his fat fucking head on it yesterday so this may be true. 

But its more than likely riddled with viruses. I'll caveat this by saying that it runs on Vista, I have no technical nous whatsoever so if you have any recommendations, please baby step me, and I will more than likely not be able to install anything. 

Any help appreciated, as me watching wrestlemania depends on me fixing this. Cheers

• Paid Members

Are the buttons all individual and can be plucked out Bacon?

If so, take a photo of the layout, gently pry each button up and off altogether and as Jag said, give it a hoover, use a q-tip/cotton bud stick and push down on each connector (to ensure they all move individually and none are stuck down).

Put bottoms back in place and see what happens. Should only take you 15-20 mins in total.

• Paid Members
25 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

Cheers @BigJag and @Kaz Hayashi, I've given it a good old shake and blow (kennethwilliams.jpg) and it seems to have done the trick. Will watch Mania in front of TV and if the problem persists, will emergency order it (can't install WWE Network on this LG TV apparently)...

I assume that means you don’t have a console either?

1 hour ago, Kaz Hayashi said:

I assume that means you don’t have a console either?

I don't I'm afraid. Thanks for your help though, seems to be OK. I have a new Netflix proxy server error message question but will have to wait because Wrestlemania...Just need a new laptop tbh

Sorry for the double post, but wondering if anyone could help. Currently getting this message from Netflix.

The server at www.netflix.com is taking too long to respond.

The site could be temporarily unavailable or too busy. Try again in a few moments.
    If you are unable to load any pages, check your computer’s network connection.
    If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or proxy, make sure that Firefox is permitted to access the Web.

Now, you'll have to excuse my ignorance but I think I've turned the proxy off, and I think I've turned the firewall off but it's still happening. This is on Firefox, and I am running Windows Vista (yeah I know). Any help would be wonderful as having a bad MH day and need to hide in my room and watch films.

1 hour ago, SuperBacon said:

Sorry for the double post, but wondering if anyone could help. Currently getting this message from Netflix.

The server at www.netflix.com is taking too long to respond.

The site could be temporarily unavailable or too busy. Try again in a few moments.
    If you are unable to load any pages, check your computer’s network connection.
    If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or proxy, make sure that Firefox is permitted to access the Web.

Now, you'll have to excuse my ignorance but I think I've turned the proxy off, and I think I've turned the firewall off but it's still happening. This is on Firefox, and I am running Windows Vista (yeah I know). Any help would be wonderful as having a bad MH day and need to hide in my room and watch films.

Have you tried it on Chrome/Different browser?

Have you plugged your laptop directly into the router with your WiFi off/restarted the router?

Our house had a spoof IP issue with Netflix about three months ago as it wasn't picking up the IP address properly but only for Netflix, after restarting the router a few times it worked fine.

Archived