Off-Topic Questions Thread - closed. Open new threads for specific questions please.

KRS

• Paid Members
On 06/04/2018 at 10:54 AM, David said:

Yeah, this is an example of a live demo using the layout.

It's £63, which is steep if you're only using it the once, but if you were looking to create a few websites (such as a portfolio site, for example), then the fee is worth it as you get access to all of the Elegant Theme family of layouts.

Divi is their most famous, and it is beautiful. Some examples of sites built using this theme can be seen here, here and here. 

Again, it depends on what you're going to be doing over the next year or so, but coupled with a BlueHost hosting account (using the plus package) you'd be paying around £7.80 a month for hosting (you'll get a discount on your first month), and the Elegant Themes sub will cost you £5.25 spread over a year (it costs around £63 per year, paid yearly), so you could actually be saving money on a Wix premium account.

And bear in mind that Wix Premium cost per month is per website, whilst BlueHost with WordPress at the price I mentioned is unlimited sites, plus you don't pay extra for personalised email, whereas Wix charge another £4 or so for that per month.

Hey David,

So I went and got the Elegant package with the Extra theme and come to find that WordPress doesn't let you upload custom themes unless you pay them $240 a year for their business plan.

Am I right in thinking the way around this is using WordPress.org, hosting on Bluehost etc? Have you got time to walk me through it?

EDIT: No, it appears not even Bluehost does monthly billing. So I'd be looking at an initial outlay, between WordPress and Bluehost, of like 4-500 dollars. Is that right?

• Replies 10.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, SpursRiot2012 said:

Hey David,

So I went and got the Elegant package with the Extra theme and come to find that WordPress doesn't let you upload custom themes unless you pay them $240 a year for their business plan.

Am I right in thinking the way around this is using WordPress.org, hosting on Bluehost etc? Have you got time to walk me through it?

EDIT: No, it appears not even Bluehost does monthly billing. So I'd be looking at an initial outlay, between WordPress and Bluehost, of like 4-500 dollars. Is that right?

No, there shouldn't be any fee paid to Wordpress. You pay for Elegant themes, Bluehost and that's it.

If you hang off until later this evening I'll shoot you a walkthrough and we'll get it sorted. 

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, David said:

No, there shouldn't be any fee paid to Wordpress. You pay for Elegant themes, Bluehost and that's it.

If you hang off until later this evening I'll shoot you a walkthrough and we'll get it sorted. 

That'd be great mate, thanks

• Paid Members

I'm running a small raffle at work for charity next month, however I can't ask if people want to buy a ticket and need them to approach me. 

So I need an eye catching A4 poster I can put in the kitchens, however I've lost my laptop on my move home and am stuck with MS Paint in the office. 

So I reach out to the people of the UKFF and ask 'would anyone be willing to help put something together for me for a minimal price'? 

• Paid Members
On 24/04/2018 at 7:11 AM, David said:

Hey David. Have you got some time to walk me through this maybe tomorrow?

• Paid Members

Anyone recommend an audio player for android that resumes tracks if you listen to something else? Find it a pain with my current one that I can't listen to anything else until I've finished a podcast, unless I fancy skipping back through it to find where I was up to. Cheers!

• Awards Moderator
3 minutes ago, tiger_rick said:

Anyone recommend an audio player for android that resumes tracks if you listen to something else? Find it a pain with my current one that I can't listen to anything else until I've finished a podcast, unless I fancy skipping back through it to find where I was up to. Cheers!

Huge fan of Doggcatcher. Used it for years. You can change programmes, have interruptions, listen to another podcast and still resume.

The other option is Spotify which remembers where you were?

• Paid Members
36 minutes ago, tiger_rick said:

PodcastAddict.

+1 for Pocket Casts from me too, I used to use Podkicker and this is far better. If you do get it, I recommend the trim silence filter, I've never noticed the difference but the app tells me I've saved 2 hours of time (from a total of 4 and a half days of listening time mind you)

After a couple of recommendations from any London based posters as I'm a bit of a neanderthal when it comes to dining out. Next month is the other half's 30th birthday, so would obviously like to do something a bit special. Not overly concerned about something too swanky, as she'd be more impressed by something a bit more quirky but happy to splash out. Only difficulty when it comes to us is that she is a vegetarian and I am pretty much exclusively a meat eater, so something with plenty of options is a plus. 

Thanks in advance.

• Paid Members
18 minutes ago, TheHighlightReel said:

After a couple of recommendations from any London based posters as I'm a bit of a neanderthal when it comes to dining out. Next month is the other half's 30th birthday, so would obviously like to do something a bit special. Not overly concerned about something too swanky, as she'd be more impressed by something a bit more quirky but happy to splash out. Only difficulty when it comes to us is that she is a vegetarian and I am pretty much exclusively a meat eater, so something with plenty of options is a plus. 

Thanks in advance.

Maybe Monkey Nuts in Crouch End? http://www.monkeynuts.biz/menu/ 

Just had a quick look at their menu and it seems there are some veggie options. I haven't eaten there in a long while but always liked the food and, it being Crouch End, there are a few nice bars around as well.

• Paid Members
29 minutes ago, TheHighlightReel said:

Thanks in advance.

Loads of options, where to begin?

One of my favourite places is Andrew Edmunds in Soho - it's a classic French cuisine place, a little pricey but delicious. It's also across the road from Mildred's, which is a very good vegetarian restaurant - you can eat in one while she eats in the other, and wave at each other from across the road through the windows.

Plum Valley in Chinatown is pricey, but some of the best Chinese you'll ever taste. Or you can hit Leong's Legends for Taiwanese-style dim sum, and kung-fu movie décor on the walls - decently priced, too.

There are any number of Brazilian churascarria-style all-you-can-eat barbecue places - Rodizio Preto's the best, but there's also Rodizio Rico and Canja do Brazil too. They all have a few branches, so just look them up online. Most masculine food ever: MEAT COOKED WITH FIRE ON SWORDS. The waiters come round to your table with different cuts of meat on these skewers, from which they cut pieces on to your plate. TIP: if you do go, don't have too much of the meats they bring in the early stages - they deliberately bring you the best bits later, counting on you feeling so full by the time they get round to them that you won't want any more. As to the veggie side, they have all-you-can-eat buffet sections where you can get stuff like plantain, cassava, rice, potatoes, etc.

If you go to Brick Lane in East London, there are loads upon loads of excellent Indian restaurants, most of which have won some form of "Best Curry House" in Britain at some point.

Arang in Golden Square is a very good Korean place that does regular dishes, plus Korean barbecue (cooked on a grill set in the table in front of you), but it's pricey. Korean food is very flavoursome though, but it can also be quite spicy.

Bone Daddies, also in Soho, is a very popular gourmet ramen joint that does Japanese noodles with an international twist. One of my favourite places. Beware: you can't book by telephone, it's first-come-first served, and it gets packed really quickly.

Covent Garden is full of French-style brasseries if you want classic French-style bistro food, and they do really nice "pre-theatre" set menus. Palm Court Brasserie is one of my favourites.

Too many of them to mention, but the area around Old Street and Kingsland Road in Shoreditch has lots of good Vietnamese restaurants.

A bit of a stretch, but if you don't mind going to the outer north-west areas of London, the New York chain Delisserie does incredible New York diner-style food, mainly based on Jewish food. Portions are huge, so excellent value. Stuff like potato latke melts with all sorts of toppings, burgers, deli sandwiches, gourmet mac & cheese, briskets, etc.

Spuntino, again in Soho, is gourmet diner-style food, but a bit smaller choice than Delisserie.

EDIT: I second SpursRiot's recommendation of Monkey Nuts in Crouch End, although it's not the most accessible of places in terms of public transport.

We're moving in a few weeks, currently renting. There's one or two small gashes in the wall from fuck knows what. Well, kids probably, but whatever. Probably about the size of a 10p piece and about 2 or 3mm deep. Is it worth me patching it up and trying to match the paint (it's a light green colour), or just leave it and get stung on our deposit? I know there's a lot of variables, but any advice on it would be welcome. In fact, any general tidbits regarding leaving a rental property in such a way as to get as much of your deposit back as possible would be great, cheers! (Aside from clean the fuck out of it - already on the list). 

Archived