Off-Topic Questions Thread - closed. Open new threads for specific questions please.

KRS

• Paid Members

I've recently boosted my wifi signal using an old router. Some simple IT skills is all that's required. It involves flashing the router with ddwrt, which then allows the second router to act as a repeater for the main router. I picked up a second hand router from eBay for about £15. A ddwrt enabled one will cost about £40. There's plenty of online guides. I did try a couple of booster products. Unfortunately they were hit and miss. They just would not maintain a steady connection. The ddwrt enabled router does the job with ease.

https://dd-wrt.com/

I used a linksys wrt54g router as my repeater.

The other option is to physically move the existing router to a more central location in the house. 

• Replies 10.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ralphy have you tried changing the channel the router is on through your broadband settings, either that or move it away from other electrical appliances as they will interfere with the signal. 

• Awards Moderator

@Ralphy I bought this one about a month ago. Works great for sending signal to pokey corners of my house. 

NETGEAR Mini N300 Mbps Wi-Fi Range Extender with External Antennas (Wi-Fi Booster) (EX2700-100UKS) https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00NIUHAG6/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apap_gvMqBGlFNM8Bg

Very easy to set up, plug it in near the router, press a button. Wait until it's connected then move it. It creates a new network with a similar name to the old one, same password. 

I thought I'd be clever and give it the same network name as the my original network, but that turned out to be problematic as devices would try to stick to the old one. Inform your devices about both networks and let them hop from one to the other as you move around. 

Edit: it also recommends this app (android https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.netgear.WiFiAnalytics). It's a good way to find the optimal channel for your network. 

• Paid Members
Just now, hallicks said:

Well stone me. I don't know that I've ever consciously differentiated those two and always thought the changing letter was an American thing. Who'd have thunk it was the other way round! 

To be fair, I thought it was an American/UK thing, but the only instance I can think of where that's definitely the case is defence/defense and offence/offense. And even then I'm not entirely sure.

4 hours ago, Ralphy said:

is it worth forking out for the 750mps or the 1200mbps models? we have a good connection speed, just a poor signal due to the router position and house layout 

the reason why previous ones didnt work, i think, is due to the extension being on a different electrical circuit to the downstairs, which has not changed 

How good is good? Do you regularly hit download speeds above 90MB/s? As that's what the 750Mbps would limit you to. 

• Awards Moderator
4 hours ago, Ralphy said:

is it worth forking out for the 750mps or the 1200mbps models? we have a good connection speed, just a poor signal due to the router position and house layout 

the reason why previous ones didnt work, i think, is due to the extension being on a different electrical circuit to the downstairs, which has not changed 

Power has nothing to do with this type of extender. 

I toyed between which model to get. I haven't regretted buying the lesser model yet. 

• Paid Members
9 hours ago, Ralphy said:

how do i know if my old router is suitable for ddwrt ? 

https://dd-wrt.com/ has a router database. Unfortunately it's currently unavailable.

If you type in your routers name and ddwrt compatibility into Google. That should answer your question.

7 hours ago, Ralphy said:

We're you using home plugs? A system whereby the internet signal is sent over the homes electrical circuit.

• Paid Members
On ‎6‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 8:02 PM, Carbomb said:

To be fair, I thought it was an American/UK thing, but the only instance I can think of where that's definitely the case is defence/defense and offence/offense. And even then I'm not entirely sure.

I think in American English they don't differentiate the spelling for the verb and the noun, so would be license in both cases.

And if people are annoyed by American spellings now, they should look into the Simplified Spelling Board and see what they could have ended up with if it had been adopted in its entirety.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simplified_Spelling_Board

We've got some of those LED/Halogen downlighters in our kitchen. One of them's gone, but I'm really struggling to get it out of the fixture. I bought one of those tools designed specifically for removing them, but the surface isn't flat, it's all bobbly, so the suction cup can't get any grip on it. Anyone had any experience with something like this? Any tips on getting this fucker out? 

Archived