Off-Topic Questions Thread - closed. Open new threads for specific questions please.

KRS

• Paid Members
46 minutes ago, mim731 said:

It sounds like a really sensible option. I think the thing to remember is, that you're not losing a year's progress necessarily if you do the work experience in the meantime you'll be better placed once you graduate anyway. It's not delaying progress, simply moving things around a bit. Also, if your health is suffering you're unlikely to be able to give your best for your final project anyway, or the MA, so taking a break to get yourself right, especially as it's not going to add any additional cost to your fees, seems like a no-brainer to me and a very logical way to approach your situation. 

As for the loans, I'm not sure, but I'd be surprised if they let you have an extra year of maintenance loan at the same level, but I imagine you'd be entitled to something as you're still an enrolled student. There should be a fees advisor at your university who can talk you through all of the ins and outs of that, so it might be worth putting a call in to get some more info. 

Yeah, I am very much trying not to see it as a wasted year, or a year lost. If all now goes to plan, I'll have my MA by the time I'm 33, as opposed to 32. It's not a huge difference and, as long as I do get that all important journalistic experience, I think it'll be worth it all in.

I'm hoping I can get some continued financial support in the form of loans from SFE, simply because that will give me more opportunities to pursue journalism work experience, instead of having to bust a gut in a sales role to pay the bills!

• Replies 10.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
1 hour ago, SpursRiot2012 said:

A little update on my academic situation, along with a question.

As a lot of you will know, I got an extension on my final year project. Unfortunately, my various health issues meant that I was unlikely to meet that deadline either. So, my uni has offered to allow me to defer my final year project to the next academic year, meaning my deadline would be May 2019. They would allow all my other final year module grades from this year to stand, and putting me forward into the 2018/19 academic year as exam only, meaning there are no fee implications. Also, the grades of the submission of my final year project in the next academic year will not be capped due to late submission.

I could still, potentially, make my original final deadline, but because of the health issues I'm having, I think this is the best option for me to take and, frankly, it's a really good offer of them to make, I feel. Plus, I'm 99% sure the MA course I was due to start this September will allow me to defer to next year. Yeah, I'll be putting my progress on hold a year, but if I use that year to put my health in check and perhaps grab a whole load more journalistic work experience, I could actually end up in a better position overall.

One question I did have. I know that, if I had to retake the whole year properly, I would have had to pay the tuition fees but that SFE allows for an extra year of tuition fee loans. My question is, do they also allow for an extra year's maintenance loan and grants, or is that me being far too optimistic?

I'm in Scotland so it might be different up here but I was still able to get a student loan at college, despite repeating a level. They wouldn't pay my fees or give me any grants but the loan itself wasn't a problem.

I think you're doing the right thing too. I made a right arse of things when I was doing media by forcing myself to do it when I really wasn't up to it. I passed, eventually, but the work I submitted was fucking abysmal. Just embarrassingly bad. My mate on the other hand, took the fail, went back the next year with a clear head and ended up being nominated for a Bafta for one of his student projects.

• Paid Members
8 minutes ago, unfitfinlay said:

I'm in Scotland so it might be different up here but I was still able to get a student loan at college, despite repeating a level. They wouldn't pay my fees or give me any grants but the loan itself wasn't a problem.

I think you're doing the right thing too. I made a right arse of things when I was doing media by forcing myself to do it when I really wasn't up to it. I passed, eventually, but the work I submitted was fucking abysmal. Just embarrassingly bad. My mate on the other hand, took the fail, went back the next year with a clear head and ended up being nominated for a Bafta for one of his student projects.

Just on briefly doing some browsing, it seems if I am classed as an "external" student, I won't be entitled to any student funding, nor will I be entitled to something like JSA. So, I'll just have to keep working. But that would have been the case even if I was starting my masters this year, as the postgraduate loan only covered the cost of my course, not living expenses. However, I'll speak with SFE and Birkbeck about this, might be something can be wrangled about my being an "external" student. Also, in the past few years, I've kind of chained myself to this sales job I essentially hate because they were so flexible with my hours - usually 2-3 days a week working - allowing me time to attend university in the evenings and study. But, if I'm not actually attending uni, I can basically work full-time in a job, hopefully, I enjoy and is in some way linked to both the undergraduate and postgraduate degrees I'm (hopefully) going to end up having.

The great thing about what Birkbeck have offered me is that I haven't actually failed anything, now. No modules or anything. It's essentially a one-year long extension to the one project, with no penalties. They've been pretty cool about the whole thing, although I did have lots and lots of medical evidence in my favour.

• Paid Members

This is a bit of a long shot, but is anyone going to the UK Horror Con in London this year(1st & 2nd of September at Printworks), that could do me a bit of a favour please?

• Paid Members
15 minutes ago, Chest Rockwell said:

You should probably say what the favour is up front....

Thats a good point!

To cut a long story short, we're putting on a number of themed charity auctions(horror themed, sci-fi themes etc...) over the next year or so to raise money for various charities. I have contacted many celebs who have offered and sent signed photos and things, and actor Sid Haig(from The Devil's Rejects etc) has offered us any 5 items from his table at the 'Con(signed obviously). Trouble is, I can't make it to the 'Con, and he doesn't want to post them even if I cover the cost for some reason. So if anyone is going, could you call by his table and send them on to me. Obviously I'd cover the postage costs, and wouldn't mind if you kept one of the items for your troubles...

40 minutes ago, Merzbow said:

Under £30 is going to be tough, they're bloody pricey things. Although, just found this smaller set which looks pretty cool.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/LEGO-75099-Star-Wars-Speeder/dp/B00SDTTP2O/ref=sr_1_10?s=kids&ie=UTF8&qid=1530786402&sr=1-10&refinements=p_36%3A-3000

Is that a good character? I only really know of the main one's from the original trilogy. I hear that BB8 fella is quite popular?

Oh, and it's for a bloke in his mid-20's.

17 minutes ago, Steve Justice said:

Is that a good character? I only really know of the main one's from the original trilogy. I hear that BB8 fella is quite popular?

Oh, and it's for a bloke in his mid-20's.

Personally she's my fav character in the series but I'm not your typical Star Wars fan..

This might be a better choice?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/LEGO-UK-75183-Transformation-Construction/dp/B06VVH3Z9K/ref=lp_423599031_1_1?s=kids&ie=UTF8&qid=1530786286&sr=1-1

• Paid Members

We're currently in the process of collecting autographs (mostly)on 8x10 photos for a charity auction we are having. Thing is, I'm struggling like mad to find something to store them in to protect them until the sale. Can anyone recommend any non acid based storage solutions please? Preferably, they would be able to fit into a binder of some kind too, but thats not imperative... 

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Steve Justice said:

I'm looking for something Lego Star Wars related as a birthday gift for under £30. I'm not a fan of either Lego or Star Wars, so what is a good thing to get for that price?

How much of a lego snob is he. The cloned chinese lego sets are identical and cost barely anything but ship without a box. Linky 

Archived