Off-Topic Questions Thread - closed. Open new threads for specific questions please.

KRS

• Awards Moderator
1 hour ago, Steve Justice said:

Is that a good character? I only really know of the main one's from the original trilogy. I hear that BB8 fella is quite popular?

Oh, and it's for a bloke in his mid-20's.

£21.99 for this one. https://www.amazon.co.uk/LEGO-UK-75200-Episode-Training/dp/B075GJ44GC/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1530794938&sr=8-2&keywords=lego+star+wars+ahch-to+island+training+75200

If he's a bloke in his mid-20s who got irrationally annoyed on Twitter about The Last Jedi, it may not be the best choice, but you get a Luke figure in it which is good. And a Porg.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 10.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

I've got an interview coming up soon for a position in an undisclosed police department for an undisclosed city. It's not on the front line, it's purely an office-based job. If I get it, it will be my first job in the police in any capacity. 

Anyway, I'm struggling to find info on what benefits the non-officers have. Stuff like salary increments, how the grading works, pension schemes, holiday entitlement, sick pay and other misc benefits for actual on-duty officers, and the ranks above them, are readily available all over the internet, however I can't find any solid info on the station desk jobs. Does anybody have any info on this? It's something I'd like to know before going in and asking stuff like that during the first interview as a big no-no. Thanks in advance! 

1 hour ago, Accident Prone said:

I've got an interview coming up soon for a position in an undisclosed police department for an undisclosed city. It's not on the front line, it's purely an office-based job. If I get it, it will be my first job in the police in any capacity. 

Anyway, I'm struggling to find info on what benefits the non-officers have. Stuff like salary increments, how the grading works, pension schemes, holiday entitlement, sick pay and other misc benefits for actual on-duty officers, and the ranks above them, are readily available all over the internet, however I can't find any solid info on the station desk jobs. Does anybody have any info on this? It's something I'd like to know before going in and asking stuff like that during the first interview as a big no-no. Thanks in advance! 

Actually I wouldn't say it was a no-no at all. It just depends on how it is worded. For a start a lot of this should be given to you during the interview, but if they're not you  need to ask in a round about way. The best way to word it is " So what kind of promotion opportunities are there within the company structure?" or something similar. This sounds like you not only want the job, but are willing to put in the effort to go up the ranks to supervisor etc.This gives the interviewer a chance to talk about the company structure, pay grading and any other benefits. if the interviewer doesn't give up any or much information regarding it You can say "In my research about the position I couldn't find any information regarding benefits, could you tell me about any of them?" This shows you have actually researched the position and again gives out some secondary information about yourself.

You will want to ask either leading questions to get info, or questions that are prefaced in such a way they show your initiative and preparation.

• Paid Members

Thanks for the advice there. I'll try and press for the info. My only qualm is that I had a few interviews last year and for two of them I was told I didn't get the job because I showed 'too much interest' in progressing and other positions rather than the one I was interviewing for, hence why I have a bit of trepidation to bring it up this time around.

TLDR: Does anybody have an idea about getting new clothing ideas into shops ?

Hey there. My Mrs made a modification to a certain garment for comforts sake. I asked her “surely you can buy them like that” and she was like no, 

So after a little bit of research I think she may have stumbled across a business idea. We looked online and couldn’t see a similar product.

I guess my question is, how does she get an idea from her head into a product and ultimately into the shops. I’m usually a skeptic but her idea might be a goer.

Does anybody know any good resources for next steps and all that.

• Awards Moderator
2 hours ago, Accident Prone said:

Thanks for the advice there. I'll try and press for the info. My only qualm is that I had a few interviews last year and for two of them I was told I didn't get the job because I showed 'too much interest' in progressing and other positions rather than the one I was interviewing for, hence why I have a bit of trepidation to bring it up this time around.

Each police force has it's own career site, and as it's a public organisation remuneration and benefits have very strict principles and will be standardised.

I just looked up any old role with Kent police for example and it says (click What you'll get in return):

https://www.kent.police.uk/jobs-recruiting-now/staff-force-control-room/senior-server-engineer/

The successful candidate will receive a competitive salary, subsidised LGPS pension with 25-27 days annual leave.  The Force also has its own Flexible Working policies and Health and Welfare benefits which include our in house occupational Health Service, Eye care initiative, Discount schemes for Emergency Service employees and Recreational clubs for each Force. You will also have the opportunity to further develop your career & knowledge within the Force, supporting operational policing and its priorities.

It should also be with the job description you were sent - get back in touch with whomever is arranging the interview to ask. They will almost certainly have a careers portal where you can browse these benefits. Google the job title you're going for and I bet you can find it. However if it gets to interview, "do you have any questions for us?" can include "I'm interested to know what the package includes."

• Paid Members
On 7/15/2018 at 9:02 PM, Accident Prone said:

Just an update on this (would probably be best suited to the Jobs thread but allow me this one misdemeanor).

Had the interview last week. Got the answer and feedback this morning. Didn't get the job unfortunately. There were 8 questions and a communication skills overview. I passed everything apart from three questions where they stated that I gave generic answers and/or didn't answer the question correctly. That I can understand, it's something to work on.

But then I was told that I showed too much interest in further positions within the company and progression, and not enough interest in the role I was applying for. This is the third time I've been told this, and each time I have dialed it back for the next interview. All I asked here was "I noticed that this position is a Band C; how would I progress to Band B?" and a follow-up question. I'm at a point where I'm not even going to mention career options next time.

• Paid Members

With the economy the way it is, and with the current shower in office, it's not really a surprise - this is an employer's market, and the level of entitlement that a lot of employers display in job vacancies and interviews continues to rise. Wanting people to "know their role" and not show any desire to make progress in their lives, just so their company can keep ticking over and not have to spend extra money or risk a bit of inconvenience to train someone new up for an entry-level job, is just the next stage from zero-hours contracts, low wages, rolled-back workers' rights, and so on.

As Carbomb suggests, the problem with the, " I noticed that this position is a Band C; how would I progress to Band B?" is it suggest to employers that you're already thinking beyond the role and that as soon as band B position comes up you'll be off and they'll have to recruit someone again, spend time/resources training them etc. You're better off sticking to questions that make you seem interested in the company/role at interview .Once you're in post, you usually find out what it takes to get to Band B fairly quickly anyway.

• Paid Members

Best thing to do is ask them a question which forces them to answer and takes the onus off you: "Assuming you take me on and I do well, where do you see me in five, ten years' time?" Also throws them off balance a bit, because it's normally they who ask. Shows you have an interest in a career and are prepared to work hard without committing to an answer they might not like, while also getting them to "sell" the job a bit.

Archived