Off-Topic Questions Thread - closed. Open new threads for specific questions please.

KRS

1 hour ago, hallicks said:

We're moving in a few weeks, currently renting. There's one or two small gashes in the wall from fuck knows what. Well, kids probably, but whatever. Probably about the size of a 10p piece and about 2 or 3mm deep. Is it worth me patching it up and trying to match the paint (it's a light green colour), or just leave it and get stung on our deposit? I know there's a lot of variables, but any advice on it would be welcome. In fact, any general tidbits regarding leaving a rental property in such a way as to get as much of your deposit back as possible would be great, cheers! (Aside from clean the fuck out of it - already on the list). 

Having gone through this very recently, 100% patch it yourself and try to match the paint. In all likelihood, that won't be noticed at all, but the hole will be. These pricks are brutal so give yourself every chance of getting it all back. Good luck

• Replies 10.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

First thing to check is if your landlord has put your deposit in a Tenancy Deposit Scheme.  If they haven't they are breaking the law and you have them over a barrel.  Mine hasn't so I'm keeping that one in my pocket for when I move and he tries to be funny.

Help with laptops please. Gonna get a new one, know nothing about them. Will really only be using it for writing, emails, Netflix, WWE Network etc and have a budget of around ÂŁ300. Wouldn't mind some basic video editing capabilities as well, or the facility to load something on.

Will be getting from Very or Littlewoods or if anyone else has suggestions for places, more than happy to hear them. Are Acers  any good? Cheers in advance. 

• Paid Members

In my mind, while Monkey Nuts is good the best restaurant I've been to recently in Crouch End is Heirloom. That's not to say Monkey Nuts is bad. It isn't. It's just that Heirloom is a different level again, and I say that as someone who initially looked at the menu and wasn't enthusiastic about it. 

https://www.heirloomn8.co.uk/food-drink/

• Paid Members
35 minutes ago, nfc90210 said:

In my mind, while Monkey Nuts is good the best restaurant I've been to recently in Crouch End is Heirloom. That's not to say Monkey Nuts is bad. It isn't. It's just that Heirloom is a different level again, and I say that as someone who initially looked at the menu and wasn't enthusiastic about it. 

https://www.heirloomn8.co.uk/food-drink/

I've never been there. Will check it out, thanks for the recco.

3 hours ago, Ralphy said:

does it have to be "new" ? if not, have you considered a refurbished one from ebay or similar sites? you can get a lot more for the money 

Can't afford to pay all in one go to be honest, so credit options seems the best way to go.

Anyone got Sky Q?  Is it worth it?

I don't think I watch enough TV to justify it, but the monthly bill will actually be lower than what I pay now...not sure how they've worked that out.  It's the one off payment of £200 to get it installed that's putting me off, naturally.

New Customers it’s a setup of £85, if your an existing customer it’s £200. Give them a ring and ask them to justify that.

We’ve been meaning to get round to it for a while, as again it will be cheaper than what we’re currently paying for it. There’s no way I’m paying £200 to have installed, so going to have to play the “I’m going to cancel unless you give me money off” game that Sky & I play annually

• Paid Members

If you know anyone who works for Sky, ask them f they have any deals. We got ours installed completely free almost as soon as it came out, and I've seen on the lass's(who got us our deal) facebook that she puts different deals up every few weeks. Apparently they get their name entered into a draw for prizes if you use their codes too.

Actually, isn't there someone on here that worked for Sky? I used one of their codes a few years ago for a cheaper deal...

I suppose it depends what your going to use it for. If you’ve not got a 4K/UHD ready TV, then your pretty much getting it for the extra storage space. If you’ve got a 4K/UHD TV, then I think the best thing to be watching at the moment is movies and sport that’s presented in/upscale to that. I don’t think there is much regular TV content available in that format yet though, so if you haven’t got Movies or Sport, it might not be worth it yet. Having said that, if it is going to be cheaper for you, you can at least take the plunge and be ready for when more content becomes available in UHD which is the way we’re looking at it in our house

Archived