Off-Topic Questions Thread - closed. Open new threads for specific questions please.

KRS

• Replies 10.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
4 hours ago, Steve Justice said:

OK. I've already explored those avenues. It's not so much a charity, more supporting a project for a community group. People are less likely to donate to something like that though I guess.

Forgive me if I'm telling you to suck eggs, but is there something specific your community group needs money raising for as such? Maybe target your crowdfunding towards that item in particular, i.e if it's a sports community group and you need money for kit etc? 

7 minutes ago, Fatty Facesitter said:

Forgive me if I'm telling you to suck eggs, but is there something specific your community group needs money raising for as such? Maybe target your crowdfunding towards that item in particular, i.e if it's a sports community group and you need money for kit etc? 

Yeah, the crowdfunding is targeted at something specific, but it is part of one big project. I don't know whether I'd have better luck breaking the project down and trying to fund one bit at a time. The target won't be as big (currently £3k) so might be more appealing. 

• Paid Members
4 minutes ago, Steve Justice said:

Yeah, the crowdfunding is targeted at something specific, but it is part of one big project. I don't know whether I'd have better luck breaking the project down and trying to fund one bit at a time. The target won't be as big (currently £3k) so might be more appealing. 

Quite possibly - also with each successful funding for an individual item, that in a way can be used as a marketing tool for the next item on your list if that makes sense. Look at what your money has done for us so far, help us to complete last pieces of the puzzle, that sort of thing. 

You're still a Laahndoner aren't you? I'll drop you a PM about this now, I might be able to help in a small way. 

I remember a non-league footie team running a crowdfunder for a new lawnmower, and it offered token rewards for certain sizes of donation - from things like having your name read out at the next home game, to being immortalised on a plaque or whatever. Is there anything along those lines you can offer as little incentives?

• Paid Members

Has anybody got or used a YubiKey? I have the YubiKey 4 and I want to use it as an extra step for logging into my Macbook and PC - so someone would have to be in physical possession of the key and know the hexadecimal code I've set, plus know my general login password, to gain access. But the official online guides are kind of shite. Can anyone offer any guidance on setting these up?

8 hours ago, Uncle Zeb said:

I remember a non-league footie team running a crowdfunder for a new lawnmower, and it offered token rewards for certain sizes of donation - from things like having your name read out at the next home game, to being immortalised on a plaque or whatever. Is there anything along those lines you can offer as little incentives?

Thats an interesting question. It's possible, but not much outside of the community itself that would appeal I think. One to consider though. 

Steve, do you know of any projects similar to yours that got funding?  Perhaps ask them for advice?  Of course, the local paper loves community projects that stop kids roaming the streets etc.

8 hours ago, Keith Houchen said:

Steve, do you know of any projects similar to yours that got funding?  Perhaps ask them for advice?  Of course, the local paper loves community projects that stop kids roaming the streets etc.

Not sure about other similar projects, but worth looking into. 

One of the other committee members is a journalist for the local paper (although it is only online now) and we're getting him to pimp it in his monthly column. 

8 hours ago, Chest Rockwell said:

What's the cause anyway? Always so secretive, Steve. :ninja:

One day you'll let slip what that terrible thing you did was...

It's restoring a fishery that's suffering from neglect and an infestation of pondweed. If it doesn't get sorted soon then that will be the end of it. It's got quite a rich history, so it would be a shame.

As for the other thing. Years of self torture, numerous therapy sessions, a very very close call with suicide, eventually followed by the correct type of therapy (CBT) a massive change in personal circumstance, and I'm at the point now of no longer letting it affect me. I very rarely think about it now, and no longer feel the need to talk about it. Not much chance of letting it slip I'm afraid.

If it helps to put your mind at rest, it has nothing to do with rape, murder or paedophilia. 

Archived