Off-Topic Questions Thread - closed. Open new threads for specific questions please.

KRS

• Replies 10.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

I got told I `can't say that' when I described myself as a prick once because it was too harsh a word for the office. This was the same office that tolerated some of the things I shared before when I wasn't too well. Madness.

My last manager used to apologise to me for her language and I had to constantly say I was fine with it. Just because I don't use it in the office doesn't mean I take issue with it. The look on someone's face when I broke a silence at the Christmas party with the Shaun of the dead 'can I get any of you cunts, a drink' was definitely worth it.

• Paid Members

We have a mixture of ages at our place of work. It's generally accepted that swearing is not appropriate. We do however have a particular member of staff who believes that the rule doesn't always apply to him. He can also be xenophobic and downright offensive with done of the sexist and inappropriate comments he makes. He's generally thought to be a bit of an idiot. Otherwise he's a good man,in his early 50's.

• Paid Members

I've never worked anywhere where swearing was an issue. Even when I've worked for massive global corporations, within my department and among my colleagues, swearing was fine. Obviously you wouldn't go into a meeting with a director or something and starting cunting this and bollocksing that. I don't think swearing is in itself inappropriate. Using swearwords as punctuation or for emphasis is pretty normal. Calling co-workers dickheads or something to their face probably less so.

Yup, I've been informally disciplined for swearing. A colleague was purposely winding me up, and without thinking I told her to fuck off. The person I swore at didn't take offence, but my very strait-laced manager did. Got taken off for a meeting, and basically told if I did it again, I'd be receiving a written warning for unprofessional conduct. 

Depends on the workplace, some places are fine with it, others aren't. You just need to adapt to your audience.

• Paid Members

There's quite a lot of Scottish people in my department, including a manager, so cunt is thrown around liberally. 

I remember a manager at one of my old workplaces took offence when somebody said "got kicked in the groin". Oddball.

• Paid Members

Pretty much any laptop can record audio. Unless you are doing loads of fancy shit just get any one of the hundreds of audacity clones for editing it and, like mentioned above, a half decent USB mic ( the difference in quality makes a HUGE difference)

Archived