Off-Topic Questions Thread - closed. Open new threads for specific questions please.

KRS

• Paid Members

In Scotland, many Scots speak a sort of mix of Scots and English. I'm not sure how widespread it is. I'm just wondering, is it normal practice in Scotland to also write in this way? Papers like The National print stuff written in this way and I saw an article in The New European written like that as well. Also on Twitter. It does seem to be nationalists in the main. Anyway, yeah, is it a widespread thing to write like that?

• Replies 10.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's not even limited to Scotland. I have Cumbrian friends who type on Facebook the way they speak, eg "gan" for "go," "garn" for "go on," and "larl" for "little." Wouldn't surprise me if Geordies do the same. Doesn't happen in newspapers though.

• Awards Moderator

Yet another medical question - I am currently suffering from the grapes of wrath and can't get an appointment with my GP until Thursday. Anyone know any homemade remedies to soothe the pain. It feels like I have shat out some nettles and a golf ball is stuck there.

No miracles required, just good old Preparation H. GP will prescribe the same most likely.

Yeah, I get that people speak that way but I'm trying to work out if it's common to write in the same way. Like this:

web-scotland-national-corbyn-2.jpg

Nah, I don't think that's common at all. Print and online media tend to stick to standard English I would say. I read the National occasionally and that front page looks like a parody to me. They normally just use language you'd find in any other newspaper.

• Paid Members

I live in Somerset and the idea of writing in regional dialect is horrible. Trying to decipher the bus times round here is tough enough without it being translated into Wurzel speak. 

'Al'righ me luvver, hop to ten'an three service up Combe Down. Gurt bus lad, talk to drive and he'll have times and give' em to thee' 

Presumably followed by us all doing up our britches, going 'OOH ARRR' a lot and heading down the nearest tavern for a nice jar of scrumpy.

Work related question here; have any of you ever been disciplined at work for swearing?

Everyone at my work place gets on well with each other and lunchtimes are generally quite jovial affairs with everyone having a laugh and taking the piss out of each other.

The boss overheard me swearing at a colleague the other day (in a completely jokey manner) and i was called into their office today and given a talking to about use of appropriate language in the staffroom. Anyone ever experience something similar?

What's the age range in your place?

I used to work with a middle aged woman who didn't like swearing. She didn't make a scene about it, but we knew she wasn't a fan so the rest of us did try and tone it down around her.

But perhaps you have a Judy in your office who, rather than single herself out for teasing, has quietly mentioned it to the manager and let them be the one to take a stand?

It's easy to assume that everyone's down for a laff, but it just takes one person's discomfort to make it inappropriate at work.

Archived