Off-Topic Questions Thread - closed. Open new threads for specific questions please.

KRS

• Replies 10.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

I want to pick up a Macbook Pro with my next student loan installment. With the educational discount, I can pick up the lowest tier model for a little more than £1100 from Apple.

I'm thinking though that picking up a refurbished Macbook Pro would be the way to go. Maybe one from 2014? Does anyone have experience with refurbished models? How old is too old? Any recommended places to pick one up?

Thanks. 

• Paid Members

I've got a refurbed 2010 Macbook Pro, and it ran great for a good while, and then as it started to wind down, I took out the optical drive and put in an SSD. Still going strong running plenty of graphics software, although I assume I'll either need a new one in a couple of years, or mainly use my work mac.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, SpursRiot2012 said:

When did you pick up the 2010 model and how long were you able to continue to update OSX?

Got mine for Christmas 2014, and I'm still updating OSX without significant issues. It's starting up a bit slowly compared to when I first upgraded the drive, but still fast. I think part of the reason is that I need to start switching it off instead of just letting it run out of battery because I tend to default to my superior office laptop — when it's been running for a while, and got up to date on everything, it's cracking.

Archived