Off-Topic Questions Thread - closed. Open new threads for specific questions please.

KRS

• Awards Moderator
22 hours ago, SpursRiot2012 said:

People who have written dissertations - was there a particular strategy you employed when deciding on a topic? 

Was it a case of finding a question that you could find loads of papers and stuff on? I feel like that's the best move  

Because of the amount of work involved, like people have said above, it's better to find a question you're interested in rather than something you know there's already loads on. With my most recent dissertation there was a lot of talk from my supervisor about "identifying the gap" - finding something specific within the subject that hasn't been covered by anyone before.

Sometimes you can balance that alongside something that has been written about a lot already. For my undergrad dissertation I wanted to write about vampires in literature, which has been covered pretty extensively, but narrowed it down to the use of vampires as representation of contemporary threats in the 19th century, which sounds very pretentious but allowed me to write about an interesting subject with academic literature as support, but put my own spin on it.

• Replies 10.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Thanks guys. 

I have to choose between an 8,000 word research project or a 3,000 word journalistic project with a 2,000 word critical essay. I may be forced to do the research project in order to keep the required balance between academic and practical modules. 

The project proposal is due in October, so plenty of time to think about it. Basing it on something that actually interests you is solid advice. 

Guys, bit of advice needed. I'm going to Slamdunk Festival on the 29th (woohoo) which is a Bank Holiday. I'm trying to get the cheapest train ticket possible from Weybridge to Hatfield. How best to go about this? I genuinely don't understand off peak and that sort of thing. Is The Trainline still the best place? I think I'll be getting the train back the next day as well which I guess doesn't help. Any advice much appreciated 

• Paid Members

Search for some split ticket sites, you can normally shave a few quid off by breaking the journey up to individual journeys if there are changes involved. Trainline will just give you the most direct routes available and will be the standard price everyone else is paying.

• Paid Members
57 minutes ago, simonworden said:

Did you apply today or receive today? If it's done and dusted I wouldn't worry. Unless your going somewhere very fussy nobody looks at them that much for British passport holders

I received it. I ended up emailing them and they said it's still valid but it is possible it could cause an extra delay, but I don't think that's likely. 

• Paid Members
5 hours ago, simonworden said:

You don't half get about, sure you've only just collected your baggage from SE Asia, have a good time!

I've been to Croatia since then. Dubrovnik is lovely, I have to say. 

• Paid Members

I'm waiting on a new BT TV UHD box to come on Friday. I wanted to watch the Europa final tonight on BT Sport Showcase. It's supposed to be on channel 115 Freeview. But for some reason my guide jumps from channel 105 to 120. Anybody have any idea why this might be and how I might fix it? Thanks.  

I'm considering moving into a 1 bed flat in Cardiff, but the estate agents are asking for £312 tenant fees in total just for myself which sounds absolutely scandalous. Am I being taken for a ride or is that the norm?

One thing I liked about Ed Miliband's manifesto was banning letting agents from charging tenants fees. Have Labour kept that this year or quietly let it drop? It is ridiculous as the choice of agent is the landlord's.

Archived