Off-Topic Questions Thread - closed. Open new threads for specific questions please.

KRS

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 10.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is there any good reputable websites where I can buy a decent smart phone and pay monthly to pay it off, had my phone pinched but can't afford to take on a new phone contract as I still got 12 months left on my EE contract.

• Awards Moderator
58 minutes ago, D@mm said:

Is there any good reputable websites where I can buy a decent smart phone and pay monthly to pay it off, had my phone pinched but can't afford to take on a new phone contract as I still got 12 months left on my EE contract.

Buy reconditioned? I've bought a couple of phones from music magpie and they've been perfect. 

If you must have new, buy from Argos and sign up to their credit card. You'll get X months interest free. 

5 hours ago, Sphinx said:

I want to go to the Lake District from Manchester, but don't know where to go or start from. It seems I'll have to go to Windermere by train initially at least.

Anyone have any tips?

When I've gone I got the train to Manchester and then changed to get a direct train to Oxenholme, which is in the Lake District..

Admittedly at that point I got picked up by the people I was meeting so I have no idea if that's useful or not - but it's at least the name of another station in the area

• Awards Moderator
5 hours ago, Sphinx said:

I want to go to the Lake District from Manchester, but don't know where to go or start from. It seems I'll have to go to Windermere by train initially at least.

Anyone have any tips?

I don't want to say LMGTFY, but have you tried asking Google Maps for directions and selecting the public transport option?

Also, Lake District is a ruddy big area.

• Paid Members

People who have written dissertations - was there a particular strategy you employed when deciding on a topic? 

Was it a case of finding a question that you could find loads of papers and stuff on? I feel like that's the best move  

• Paid Members

I did mine on Vietnam war movies because I really like Vietnam war movies. I think if you choose something that you believe you would enjoy writing about, you will find yourself more motivated to do it.

Of course, the fact that my dissertation was so bad that it knocked me down from a First Class to just one point above a 2:2 is neither here nor there, but I trust your dissertation will actually be well researched rather than just involve sitting around watching Stallone and Chuck Norris films.

I find with any academic writing that it's easier to produce good work if you're interested in what you're writing.  My degree didn't have a dissertation element but even your bog standard 1500 word essay was much easier when writing about play theory rather than any of the management stuff. That said when I was choosing a theme for an assignment I did tend to have a look at what articles or book chapters that related to it were easily available.

• Paid Members

I also picked a topic I was interested in rather than something that was easily re-searchable (The Film Adaptations of the Novels of James Ellroy, since you didn't ask. You can find a copy in the University of Portsmouth library, unread). Though it was a bit more effort to find relevant material, it was so much more enjoyable to write. Lecturers will thank you for not picking something they've read a thousand times too. 

Archived