Off-Topic Questions Thread - closed. Open new threads for specific questions please.

KRS

• Replies 10.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What are people's experiences of American tipping?

I don't mean as an alternative to cow tipping, although if stereotypes are to be believed there are comparisons to be drawn.

I mean the greater emphasis over there on providing not-so-optional cash bonuses to people in the service industry, which are generally relied upon to bolster meagre wages.

I've always found the tipping process toe-curlingly awkward in this country, and worry that I'm going to make a phenomenal faux-pas when I visit the States.

For instance - and this may be an incredibly stupid question, but such is my befuddlement - would Americans expect a tip in McDonalds? Or, as in Britain, do those workers not count because they do all their rushing around behind the till?

What about in a bar? What's the rule of thumb there? And Uber/Lyft drivers?

I just want to avoid being chased down the street by angry Yanks due to my ignorance.

• Paid Members

In a lot of food service jobs, the wage is crushingly low because either the employee is expected to make it up in tips, or the business is (which isn't always the case); just go with 20%, that's a decent tip to give.

With bar staff I don't think it's a hard and fast rule, I tend to leave them some change, or make up the payment to the nearest size bill.

The fare for uber is supposed to include a tip, but apparently it's still expected a lot of the time. I wouldn't do it unless you have some sort of score to keep up.

No need to tip in McDonald's - don't know if they can even take the money. They get whatever minimum wage they get in their state, so... shit pay, but better than most tipped workers pre-tips.

$1 or $2 per drink if you're at a bar, that's just for beers though. If it's something more fancy pants like a cocktail, up it. 20% at restaurants is fair. I've never tipped an uber. The whole point is that you don't need cash, right? Lyft is different though.

And don't forget, they don't include tax on price tags in shops. It doesnt bother me anymore, but it's still stupid.

I bought a bottle of Bud in a bar about mid-way through my second trip to the States and the bartender said that in the States you're expected to tip. On my first trip, I didn't buy many drinks as I was under-age so I didn't know about the etiquette but it seemed odd that she literally turned, opened a fridge to get my bottle, and then asked for a tip for it. I understand it's because they're paid low wages, but that's not really a proper service to tip for like a meal.

My only tip beyond 'keep the change' was in a hairdressers and it was the most awkward thing ever. The look on their face at this extra 25% was as though I'd offered it for a quick suck in the spinning chair.

The conversation log was probably something like this

me: and here's this as well

them: what's that?

me: oh, just something extra. for the service i guess

me: right anyway thanks a lot, see ya

Never tipping in the UK again, unless I see a designated jar

• Paid Members

I always give my barber a tip. I don't go to restaurants, so that's the only place I tip. I was always taught that barber tipping was the done thing. Say it comes to £8, I'll just give them a tenner for it. He's a very nice Turkish gentleman (not gay).

Do you live up north maybe? Or probably actually barber etiquette is a lot different from this unisex place I was at.

Either way I reckon the only reason they were so confused at the concept of a tip is cos people round here are stingy cunts

I worked in a couple pubs and the very last thing I'd expect was a tip. Drinks are overpriced but everyone would be very meticulous with their money

• Paid Members

I tip the whenever I feel there is service deserving of it over here. As Butch said, 'one for the landlord' at the local is fine in my book and I am pretty liberal when tipping at restaurants above 12.5, if I am impressed with the service.

The barber got a few quid extra last week as he managed not to murder me with a straight razor. That deserves high monetary praise.

My only tip beyond 'keep the change' was in a hairdressers and it was the most awkward thing ever. The look on their face at this extra 25% was as though I'd offered it for a quick suck in the spinning chair.

The conversation log was probably something like this

me: and here's this as well

them: what's that?

me: oh, just something extra. for the service i guess

me: right anyway thanks a lot, see ya

Never tipping in the UK again, unless I see a designated jar

I know places in my part of the world where that service is apparently fully available, they were right across from the school I used to work in, was truly bizzare at 7:30PM on a sat night to see all these girls sat outside the Salon trying to lure in tourists while kids were getting picked up outside. A friend once asked why didn't I give it a try, apart from the fact i'm a faithful fiancee knowing my luck my boss would be right outside when I leave doing my flies up.

To add to the actual question about US tipping I found it a pain too especially if someone does literally pour and as for the cash. Although in many places I went I found the staff far more attentive and pleasant from flirting to shooting the shit with us as we were british. It is stupid that there is no minimum wage and we have to top up their earnings but it's like that loads of places in the world to be honest. When we were in Vegas we were in a bar and I had been warned about the tipping but my friend not so much so I bought the first round and we sat at the bar following his go on the second I couldnt get any attention from the barmaids for about 20 minutes past finishing my drink, eventually I bellowed at the one who had served him and had to basically say i'm sorry my friend forgot to tip he is British, then double tip. Didn't really think that was cool to snub us over one tipping offence in the middle of a huge tourist area. If you're in a busy place and only staying for one you can prob get away with forgetting a few tips if you are really only there for a short while and cash flows a prob

Archived