Off-Topic Questions Thread - closed. Open new threads for specific questions please.

KRS

My girlfriend and I are out until roughly 8pm tonight. She's just had a text from our property manager that says the landlord wants to pop in at 5pm and he "needs access to our room". When we told him we wouldn't be around, he replied saying that the landlord has a key to our room and will come around with a member of the council to let himself in.

Is this even remotely legal?

• Replies 10.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah definitely find out why he feels the need to come round so urgently and with a member of the Council at that

It is certainly illegal to enter if he hasn't given 24 hours notice and it isn't an emergency  

If it must be done today tell them to come back at 8 when one of you is home

Thanks for the replies. The property manager has since replied that the visit is for a remortgage evaluation. I've expressed me concerns at the legality of that but he only seems to reply to texts when he fancies it. Phone calls are totally hopeless with him. I've practically memorised his voicemail.

Send a message explicitly refusing permission, so there's at least a record of it should you later need to prove he had no cause to assume/interpret consent.

Thanks for the replies. The property manager has since replied that the visit is for a remortgage evaluation. I've expressed me concerns at the legality of that but he only seems to reply to texts when he fancies it. Phone calls are totally hopeless with him. I've practically memorised his voicemail.

You saying that reminds me of a similar situation we had when our landlord had a remortgage evaluation done on our house around 4 months ago, we were given more then 24 hours notice though

Anyway the day comes and I'm sitting watching Raw as it was a Tuesday morning and suddenly the door flies open and this man comes storming in, we both Jumped six foot in the air when we saw each other

He didn't knock or ring the bell and Just let himself in, he was apologetic about bursting in like that, apparently he was told nobody was In, now I'm not sure who told him that as I had specifically told the Estate Agents (who we deal with on behalf of the landlord) that I'd be in providing it was after 9ish as I had to get back from taking my daughter to school.

Even still though if you expect nobody to be in you still Ring the bell or knock don't you? if I was going round to my mums or something and I thought nobody was in then fair enough but to just walk in to a strangers house without attempting to see if someone was in regardless what you had been told seemed very weird to me

I did complain to the Estate Agents about it saying I didn't think it was right, what If I was strak naked or my wife was in the shower or something.

The whole thing just seemed very weird

• Paid Members

If he does enter your property without permission then log it, as it is illegal.

This happened to me a few times in my old place, 3 or 4 times, once when I was in bed ill.

When I left I took the old cunt to small claims court and got £2000.

Know your rights! ;)

On what grounds did you claim money?

If he does enter your property without permission then log it, as it is illegal.

This happened to me a few times in my old place, 3 or 4 times, once when I was in bed ill.

When I left I took the old cunt to small claims court and got £2000.

Know your rights! ;)

Tidy. What was their justification for him having to pay you?

It's not just the landlord that pops by without warning. The property manager occasionally stops by, as well as total strangers who have been sent around to look at the broken boiler. It probably happens once every two weeks or so. I've stupidly ignored most of it because I wanted the boiler fixed, but it's getting a bit fucking silly now.

Archived