Off-Topic Questions Thread - closed. Open new threads for specific questions please.

KRS

• Replies 10.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

I had the photography license and a separate license for I design for a combined $30 for a couple of years, but eventually I decided to take the plunge and get the full license for all the software. Don't understand how, but I'm now getting the whole suite for... $30. Think it's a student discount that you don't actually have to prove you're a student to receive.

Out of interest, which area of Science are you working/training in?

Computing/IT side.  Finished my MSc, but I might go back and do another PG Certificate or Diploma in computing after a year off.

Awesome. With a Bsc, can you jump straight into it or do you need to study something else first to gain credits/ meet the criteria to join the course? With OU, I can only see that the modules count towards the credits you earn, so wasn't sure if some form of access course is needed first.

• Paid Members

I had the photography license and a separate license for I design for a combined $30 for a couple of years, but eventually I decided to take the plunge and get the full license for all the software. Don't understand how, but I'm now getting the whole suite for... $30. Think it's a student discount that you don't actually have to prove you're a student to receive.

I get the whole lot for £28 a month. I think there was some promotion on when I signed up. I only ever use InDesign, Photoshop and Fireworks but £28 for everything was cheaper than just getting ID and PS individually and Fireworks came free anyway as you can't actually buy it as a standalone any more.

• Paid Members

This new Photoshop CC malarkey.

I've been using CS2 for the last few years but I've just stumped up for a new laptop (and Windows bastard 10). As Adobe will no longer activate CS2, I can't install it on the new machine. I can live with that, as theoretically PScc should have all shiny new things.

I'm a bit baffled by the pricing of it though. There's a "Photographers" package that has Photoshop and Lightroom (including - I think - Camera RAW) for £8.57 a month.

However, if I want to get Photoshop as an "individual" element of the CC suite, it's £17.15 a month.

What am I missing here?

Also, is there a way of getting Photoshop and Illustrator without buying the whole £45 a month suite?

You kind of answered your own question. CS2 don't activate but they don't check to see if its been authorized anymore so its essentially free to use. 

Camera raw is included as part of all newer versions of Photoshop, there used to be issues with some .CR2 but it think it works as standard now. 

Photoshop and Lightroom are the only programmes on their own little bundle at that price (and I think that lightroom isn't available on its own any more). If you go on live chat through Adobe they'll usually knock the price down for you, at least for the first year. We managed to get them to match the education pricing a few months ago (£15.49 a month)

• Paid Members

I've got an audition for the Maze Master for the Crystal Maze experience in Manchester tomorrow. Basically they're looking to recruit 75 actors. You get paid £30 per show and in a 5 hour shift you'd be doing 3 shows so £90. But they're flexible if people want to do more or less.

Hours, are Tues-Thurs 4.30-11.15pm Fri 2-11.15pm Sat-Sun 9.30am - 11.15pm

Does this sound like dodgy zero hour shit to anyone? It's a dream of a job, bt I have a guaranteed hours contract in my current employer.

• Paid Members

Are they guaranteeing, as in contractually, that you'll do a minimum of x amount of shows per week/month? Or if they don't use you for that amount of shows they'll still pay you for a minimum amount?

I'm unsure as of yet, that info was given by a friend who auditioned on Monday. No mention of any guarantee but that might come up in the interview, Anything important I should ask. It's been a fucking age since I last had a job interview.

Awesome. With a Bsc, can you jump straight into it or do you need to study something else first to gain credits/ meet the criteria to join the course? With OU, I can only see that the modules count towards the credits you earn, so wasn't sure if some form of access course is needed first.

I'd say it depends where you're coming from and your starting point. Most modules aren't going to have partcularly strong entry requirements except for decent standards of English and general IT skills (wordprocessing assignments etc).  The module should list its requirements and highlight if there's anything special needed.  I'd obviously recommend starting with the level one modules.  My wife went straight in with level one modules having last done a travel BTEC about a decade earlier.

The best advice I can give is do a free course on the OU's Openlearn site.  That will give you an idea of where they're pitched and if you can fit it in around your other commitments before you plonk any money down.

Cheers johnny, I'll look into that now. Thanks for the advice!

• Awards Moderator

Are they guaranteeing, as in contractually, that you'll do a minimum of x amount of shows per week/month? Or if they don't use you for that amount of shows they'll still pay you for a minimum amount?

I'm unsure as of yet, that info was given by a friend who auditioned on Monday. No mention of any guarantee but that might come up in the interview, Anything important I should ask. It's been a fucking age since I last had a job interview.

As long as they sell tickets I expect you'd be alright. Being optimistic it could be a case of they can't guarantee hours because they can't guarantee visitors to the Experience. However, with Crystal Maze nostalgia so high right now I can't imagine them having quiet days so I expect you'd be fine.

Don't take my word for it though - ask them how it works at the interview and see how they explain it. If it's the above, you'll be okay - we employ actors at my work, they're on zero hours contracts but it works for them - we always try to get them their preferred number of hours, and if they get auditions or cast in anything, they can just head off and don't need to worry about taking time off because they're contracted to 30 hours or anything - but if it's one of those "we'll call you at 8.30 if we need you at 9 but 9 times out of 10 we'll call you because we don't want you today" zero hours types then run away, run quite fast.

I've got an audition for the Maze Master for the Crystal Maze experience in Manchester tomorrow. Basically they're looking to recruit 75 actors. You get paid £30 per show and in a 5 hour shift you'd be doing 3 shows so £90. But they're flexible if people want to do more or less.

Hours, are Tues-Thurs 4.30-11.15pm Fri 2-11.15pm Sat-Sun 9.30am - 11.15pm

Does this sound like dodgy zero hour shit to anyone? It's a dream of a job, bt I have a guaranteed hours contract in my current employer.

Make sure you get a look at a contract before signing dude. My wife is a Fright Nights Actor for Thorpe Park (Merlin whatever) and a load of her friends have been completely fucked over by acting/scare mazes/escape room companies in London by being tied into a contract that wasn't worth it.

Hope it's legit though, sounds cushty:)

Bit of an ominous one this, but what's the best way to confirm whether a common assault conviction would prevent someone from entering the US on the Visa Waiver Program (ESTA)?

Is it best to just fill out the ESTA form and see what it comes back with? Is it possible that customs would still turn them away on these grounds even if their application is accepted?

• Paid Members

I dunno but if you do it let me know the outcome because I've been wondering about my chances of getting in on the visa waiver program because they'll never give me a proper visa like I'm supposed to apply for cos I'm a crim.

I would not suggest you declare your conviction.

Archived