Off-Topic Questions Thread - closed. Open new threads for specific questions please.

KRS

• Paid Members

Has anybody ever done a course via Open University? and if so, is it worth it/do you get a proper qualification out of it?

Depends on the course. OU does degrees just like any other uni, and it's a pretty damn good uni in itself; it has the largest faculty in the world. Its degrees are well regarded so far as I know.

• Replies 10.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Has anybody ever done a course via Open University? and if so, is it worth it/do you get a proper qualification out of it?

Yup, OU degrees are pretty highly regarded. It shows that you can self-study and manage your time, especially if you have other stuff going on alongside side. if you're looking at degrees, you can do what's called an Open Degree, in which you study modules from across their whole selection and as long as you get to 360 credits, you get an Honours degree. I've not done one myself, but through work have dealt with a large number of people who have, and all speak highly of it. Worth doing if you just don't have time or the financial means to cut down on work and study at a 'normal' place during the day.

Awesome, thanks guys. I've been reading various "reviews" from people some are good, like your input, whilst there are a lot of bad ones. I work full time so wouldn't be able to attend a real university. I'll have a look into it and see how it works out for me.

Cheers for the comments though.

Nope, wasn't me sorry. At the moment with work and my family, I don't think I could attend a physical university, which is why the OU appeals to me. Will have to look into cost's as well, as from the look of things it's not cheap!

Awesome, thanks guys. I've been reading various "reviews" from people some are good, like your input, whilst there are a lot of bad ones. I work full time so wouldn't be able to attend a real university. I'll have a look into it and see how it works out for me.

Cheers for the comments though.

Are you looking at undergraduate or postgraduate study? Lots of places are now jumping on the distance-learning bandwagon (I'm doing an MA through Middlesex via distance-learning at the moment). if you're worried the OU is not a 'proper' university, do look around elsewhere.

It'd be Undergraduate.

It wasn't more that I personally don't think of it in a certain way, I was just wondering if its worth the time/effort and if those qualifications gained are actually valuable. If other Uni's offer distance-learning courses as well, I'll definitely look into it. 

• Awards Moderator

I'm doing my passport renewal form at the moment and have discovered that my signature has changed since my last passport 10 years ago.

Do I sign with my current signature that I use for everything else, or do I attempt to copy my signature from 10 years ago?

Current signature will be fine.

Mine has changed several times over the last 20 odd years.

Cheers. Form's on its way to Her Majesty as we speak.

Cheers JohnnyBoy, I also would like to look into Bsc (working more with planetary sciences) so that helps a lot. I'm still looking into my options, as funding will be the yes or no aspect of it really. I'm aware you can get loans/grants, although I probably don't qualify for it.

Out of interest, which area of Science are you working/training in?

• Paid Members

This new Photoshop CC malarkey.

I've been using CS2 for the last few years but I've just stumped up for a new laptop (and Windows bastard 10). As Adobe will no longer activate CS2, I can't install it on the new machine. I can live with that, as theoretically PScc should have all shiny new things.

I'm a bit baffled by the pricing of it though. There's a "Photographers" package that has Photoshop and Lightroom (including - I think - Camera RAW) for £8.57 a month.
However, if I want to get Photoshop as an "individual" element of the CC suite, it's £17.15 a month.

What am I missing here?

Also, is there a way of getting Photoshop and Illustrator without buying the whole £45 a month suite?

Archived