Off-Topic Questions Thread - closed. Open new threads for specific questions please.

KRS

• Paid Members

Make sure you get a look at a contract before signing dude. My wife is a Fright Nights Actor for Thorpe Park (Merlin whatever) and a load of her friends have been completely fucked over by acting/scare mazes/escape room companies in London by being tied into a contract that wasn't worth it.

What happened? Real zombies?

• Replies 10.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would not suggest you declare your conviction.

On the off chance they catch you lying, it's apparently a 2-10 year prison sentence. If it was me then it might still be tempting, but it's not something I feel comfortable suggesting to a friend who'll have three kids waiting back home.

• Paid Members

As I understand it, the US doesn't have access to the UKs Police National Computer. Unless you're on some sort of watch list or no fly list, it's hard to see how they'd catch you.

I hear what you're saying though. Unfortunately for me it isn't just the one conviction and I have a caution for drug possession so I'd never get a visa from the embassy. I'd just have to risk it.

• Paid Members

As I understand it, the US doesn't have access to the UKs Police National Computer. Unless you're on some sort of watch list or no fly list, it's hard to see how they'd catch you.

I hear what you're saying though. Unfortunately for me it isn't just the one conviction and I have a caution for drug possession so I'd never get a visa from the embassy. I'd just have to risk it.

Print your own visa, m8.

• Paid Members

I have a C1/D visa for the U.S, which is an Alien in transit visa. I had a caution from the procurator fiscal for possession of a q of weed and a fixed penalty fine for breach of the peace when I applied and I got it no bother, I had to go to the embassy for an interview but so does everyone applying for that sort of visa.

Other guys I worked with had convictions for GBH and aggravated assault and they both also go their visas with minimal bother, although I think they did have to have an extended interview.

I think, it's a wee bit exaggerated how difficult it is to get visas/ESTAs for the states.

• Paid Members

I have a C1/D visa for the U.S, which is an Alien in transit visa. I had a caution from the procurator fiscal for possession of a q of weed and a fixed penalty fine for breach of the peace when I applied and I got it no bother, I had to go to the embassy for an interview but so does everyone applying for that sort of visa.

Other guys I worked with had convictions for GBH and aggravated assault and they both also go their visas with minimal bother, although I think they did have to have an extended interview.

I think, it's a wee bit exaggerated how difficult it is to get visas/ESTAs for the states.

I did read its basically at the discretion of the person interviewing you. So if you can show them that you have reformed from your life of crime and whatever, you can get a visa. But I've also read that if you get a no, it's very difficult to ever get a yes following that. I think went I went to the States 10 years or so ago I had one or two arrests for drunk and disorderly and got in fine via visa waiver but I now have actual convictions, though no jail time, so it's makes me more worried about getting in. Still, your experience is heartening.

A colleague of mine lived with a guy who got done for drug dealing. She was arrested at the same time but never charged. She couldn't get an ESTA because of it and had to travel to the embassy in London. She got approved there but had to have a face to face interview first.

She was glad she did because a guy in the same flight got arrested and deported on landing for non-disclosure of a couple of old convictions.

• Paid Members

I'm pretty sure when I applied you got to choose your date and time and I think mine was only a couple of weeks from the date I filled out the online application. Some of the questions on that thing range from hilarious to ridiculous.

This was in 2011 though so things could (probably) have changed.

Edit: actually I'm not sure you even get a time, you just get a date then have to sit in there massive waiting room with a little raffle ticket with a number on it and wait to be called. Think I was there for about 4/5 hours, nae phones either so take a book.

I had the same worry years ago going. Mine was only for a silly arrest at uni never charged so really I'm clean as a whistle but under the US law and the fact the ESTA required you to have the new high tech passports with all your bio data on. Which they would only have if you had been processed in my mind I decided to go through the full process. Although I knew of people who got through on ESTA I wasn't risking it.

The visa was a pain but barring a few crimes if you are honest when they ask you, show your reformed and you have a well outlined trip it's ok. But you need to tick the standard non risk boxes too for immigration. Job and ties to home etc

Oh and I applied in November when the trip was the next June they give you a visa that covers you for multiple entry over ten years I think

Thanks for all the help on US visa applications. It's a bit of a nail biter, as our trip is at the end of March for a certain event at the Citrus Bowl in Orlando, and my ex-crim friend is currently awaiting delivery of a renewed passport. As we don't know when that's going to arrive, it's difficult to book an interview date with any degree of certainty, without leaving it so late that the visa may not be processed and returned in time.

I don't think I'll be listing organisational skills on my CV any time soon.

I've recently been promoted to assistant manager. It's an internal promotion so I'm still working in the same place (including with people I was promoted over). The transition is going to be pretty instant.

Has anyone got any advice? It's a really busy time at the moment and I need to jump in at the deep end.

Archived