Off-Topic Questions Thread - closed. Open new threads for specific questions please.

KRS

• Replies 10.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice one, Vamp. Just make sure there is a clear line between what is social and what is work if you consider any of the other staff friends or people you spend time with outside of the office. You don't have to cut them off but you need to be able to have a pint with the same people you might discipline or give performance reports on, if that's part of the role.

If it's your first time in a managerial position you'll find it daunting but remember that the company has enough confidence in you and your abilities to offer you the job, so you obviously know your stuff. Bonus points if you've leapfrogged anyone more knowledgeable as it means they have even more confidence in your personality and potential to manage.

Enjoy it, you won't master it overnight and you'll always be learning. Mark McCormack's What They Don't Teach You At Harvard Business School is a brilliant book with heaps of advice on management.

Bit of an ominous one this, but what's the best way to confirm whether a common assault conviction would prevent someone from entering the US on the Visa Waiver Program (ESTA)?

Is it best to just fill out the ESTA form and see what it comes back with? Is it possible that customs would still turn them away on these grounds even if their application is accepted?

I have first hand experience of this. Long story short, don't declare it. They'll never find out. I've been back and forth to America with work loads of times. They even take your finger prints electronically at customs and my conviction has never flagged up.

Cheers for that lads.

New question: I have a fairly old laptop (Dell Vostro 1510) and when watching videos it is so fucking slow and freezes, stutters. I thought it was a WWE Network only problem but tonight it's happened on Vimeo, YouTube, 4od and iplayer.

I'm really not great with computers and I've upgraded to the latest flash player and I think I've upgraded explorer. Is there anything else I can do?

• Paid Members

Have you defragmented the HD?

I have no idea what that means, sorry.

It's the hard drive equivalent of sorting the DVDs on your shelf into a sensible order instead of just bunging them anywhere.

Archived