Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

The 'real fight' stuff is such a pain in the arse.

That argument maybe had legs when MMA was a free-for-all, but it's as rule-bound as any combat sport now. They're all sports with their own codes. No one knows who would win in a 'real fight' regardless of where Holzken/Smith fights as we don't know what would happen if they were allowed to kick each other in the crackers, poke each other in the eyes or smash glass bottles over their heads.

If Smith beats Holzken in a boxing match, the grand total of our knowledge at the end of it is that Smith was a better at that sport on that night.

This endless need for 'legitimacy' is wearing.

• Paid Members

It's a little barmy, but it's to be expected seeing how oddly tribal some boxing, kickboxing and MMA fans are. I'm done with it too, but that's mostly to do with some of the professional pundits during the Mayweather/McGregor cash in that couldn't help but protect their sport by saying some really silly things (holla, Carl Froch & Brendan Schaub). As an aside, I liked some pretending boxing was a sport above this lowly cage fighting nonsense - boxing, with all it's bursting history of crime, fixed fights, death and broken men.

Anyway, all the best to Holzken. I know his recent GLORY record hasn't been the best.

Edited by ColinBollocks

• Paid Members

Interesting to note that most kickboxing fights are only 3 x 3 minute rounds with title fights being 5 × 3. 

I hate that tribal mentality too. I love pretty much all combat sports but you have to understand the differences, advantages, rule sets of each. Anyone who spouted the 'in a real fight McGregor would kill Mayweather' isnt far off a cretin for me, and there were many of them. 

Anyways...Haye/Bellew presser yesterday:

interesting to see Haye's approach, Bellew does all he can to try and rile the nastiness out of Haye again but he doesnt really bite, i sense he's itching too though. Its mainly bickering but im firmly in Camp Bellew again for this one.

• Paid Members

Whoever Haye fights I'm in their camp. Haye will never be forgiven for the Audley debacle. 

As for all this "Real fight" nonsense, what most people forget is that Smith is a Scouse. In a real fight he'd glass Holzken and get his brothers to hold him while he hit him with a scaffold pole. 

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, Lion_of_the_Midlands said:

Whoever Haye fights I'm in their camp. Haye will never be forgiven for the Audley debacle. 

Yeh unbelievable that he still had a career after that.

In fairness to Haye, he has stayed relevant despite a history of absolute clangers. Audley, the two comeback fights after the layoff, Wladamir...you could even put the first Bellew fight in there. Just absolute reputation destroyers but somehow he's still here.

• Paid Members

I just hope he actually gets through this camp and fight without any injuries or controversies. Seems like there's always something with Haye, doesn't it? 

And fuck it, Team Haye here. And I'm not even a Haye fan. Just can't stomach Bellew at all. I'd love to see him get lamped. 

After catching up with last weekends boxing. There is only a certain level CEJ will ever get to because he can't box. He has no fundamental amateur experience hence why he has lost to Groves & Saunders. If you fight as a counter puncher, he is lost. The great thing for Eubank is, he can fight a bunch of low level fighters, have a tremendous knockout reel and people believe will believe in him again as much as he believes in himself. But when he steps up the result will stay the same. Also Groves wouldn't pay the IBO belt fees, so just vacated it.

Also saw the Danny Garcia / Brandon Rios fight. Rios even slower than usual and blew up pretty fast. Danny Garcia was in total control throughout. Rios was that tired and slow he couldn't put his hands up quick enough to stop a straight right to the jaw. Rios went flat on his back but made it back up for 8. Ref stopped the fight because he was hopping all over the place. Rios needs to go back into retirement and Garcia should be fighting world title fights.

Andy Lee has retired from boxing. If he was losing by 11 rounds, he always had that great one punch knockout power on him.

Edited by Rossman

• Paid Members

didnt catch Garcia/Rios but the result didnt surprise me. Rios was there on name value alone.

I did see Devon Alexander/Victor Ortiz who fought to a draw in a fight it looked that Alexander was clearly winning. I may have been swayed by some bias commentary but it looked like Alexander was in complete control.