Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

I reckon points. If he wins. Which I'm really unsure about, just a gut feeling. I can see Eubank starting strong and building up a points lead, with Groves coming on stronger down the stretch, kind of similar to the Saunders vs Eubank fight. Fuck knows though? 

• Paid Members

I haven't watched a Roy Jones fight since Enzo stopped him a while back. He's just sad to watch now. 

I'll probably end up giving this a look though, in the hope it really is his last fight. Then I'll most likely wish I never bothered. 

It's a shame. People still know he was the man in his day and he's a legend. But can you imagine how he'd be looked at now if he'd retired after going up and beating John Ruiz for the heavyweight title? At that point he'd only had the one loss, which he quickly avenged, and even then it was a DQ loss, he was never legitimately beaten at that point. He hadn't yet lost his aura, hadn't had those Tarver defeats and already held wins over the likes of James Toney, Bernard Hopkins and Mike McCallum. If he'd retired after beating Ruiz he was 48-1 and 34 years old. Most importantly, he hadn't been KO'd a bunch of times and didn't sound all punchy. 

I guess that's the problem though, when everything is going good and the money is rolling in it's got to be hard to know when to step away. Like Kevin Nash said once 'if you're standing at an ATM machine and it keeps spitting out $100 bills, when do you walk away?' 

Edited by wandshogun09

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, wandshogun09 said:

I guess that's the problem though, when everything is going good and the money is rolling in it's got to be hard to know when to step away. Like Kevin Nash said once 'if you're standing at an ATM machine and it keeps spitting out $100 bills, when do you walk away?' 

In the case of a boxer going on too long, I'd be yelling at Big Kev: "Before you're too fucking brain-damaged to remember how to spend it, that's when."

I'd have to yell it, because I'd not be standing anywhere near him to say it.

• Paid Members

theres a few points where Jones should have walked away. After Ruiz would have been perfect. After the loss to Calzaghe another. But Jones went on to have a fun fight and showed flashes of his old self agaisnt Jeff Lacy a few fights later, that was another prime step out spot.

Few fighters have damaged their legacy like Jones though. Its a shame and isnt really fair because his prime still stands and when you go look at it the guy was incredible.

The RJJ of the late 90's was so fucking fast. With both hands and feet he was a total nightmare. An all time great.

His prime basically ended 15 years ago when Tarver figured him out. He has dragged his career out since but you hear he has enjoyed it. Apparently some incredibly expensive Russian prostitutes were part of his deals for the Moscow fights. Rumours are he has basically shagged his way round the world the past decade on this retirement tour. 

• Paid Members

Cannot wait for that fight tomorrow, been following the hype all week. Kind of strange to see how reserved George Groves is compared to how he was when he was in Eubank's position before he fought Carl Froch. Trying not to read too much into it but i get the impression that Groves is doing whatever he can to not let emotion take over and see him getting into some kind of heated brawl, he's certainly not taking any of the bait.

If you are after some free boxing tonight, David Haye's Ringstar promotion has it's second show on Dave...

27971997_372769673195514_581144004404208

• Paid Members

Cheers for that, didn't know the Joyce fight was on. 

I've been leaning towards Eubank for a couple of weeks now but I'm starting to think Groves might take it tomorrow night. Don't know what's changed but I like the way Groves is carrying himself. Could mean fuck all but he's the biggest step up for Eubank since Saunders and I can see him giving Eubank a lot of problems. 

Eubank's younger brother Seb Eubank is making his debut on the undercard as well. Don't know much about him, last time I saw him was on that 'At Home With a The Eubanks' show on Channel 5 years and years ago. He was a little kid back then. Here's interview with IFL from this week;

Seems a bit late to be turning pro, 26, but we'll see. 

20 minutes ago, wandshogun09 said:

last time I saw him was on that 'At Home With a The Eubanks' show on Channel 5 years and years ago. He was a little kid back then

Is he the one who had an afro but didn't like it, and his dad made him keep it because he should do as his father says?

• Paid Members

so that'll be the 3rd Eubank son to turn pro?

Hopefully Seb does better than the the other Eubank who fought on a WBSS undercard...

This weekend is barmy in terms of fight schedule, also got these going on in the States...

hqdefault.jpg

Also got Raymundo Beltran on Boxnation tonight.

It's all happening.

• Paid Members

@Keith Houchen Yeah, that's him. It was either he wanted rid of the afro or he liked it and his dad was threatening to have it cut if he kept misbehaving. And he got in trouble at school on the one episode for saying "scrotum bag" to his teacher. He was the rebellious one of the kids from what I remember. Chris Jr always seemed a bit nerdy on that show to me.