Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

I'd add Conor Benn vs Cedric Peynaud from December to that. 6 round war that was. 

Also, not FOTY and it was a bit of a one sided 12 round squash match but Miguel Cotto vs Kamegai from August was bags of fun. Cotto's last fight vs Sadam Ali was good as well. But I might just be biased as a Cotto fan. 

If I had to choose one I think I'd rate Rungvisai vs Gonzalez 1 as my FOTY. The rematch was more of a great performance from Rungvisai but the first fight was a cracker. I'd have Joshua vs Klitschko at 2 and GGG vs Canelo at 3. Some would probably say GGG-Canelo was good not great but I absolutely loved it. Seeing two big name savages face off in their prime is sadly not that common a thing in boxing anymore but we saw it with these two and I can't wait for the rematch. 

Lomachenko vs Rigondeaux was the letdown of the year for me. 

Edited by wandshogun09

Alvarez v GGG was foty for me, enthralling to watch really, from the opening bell to the finish. High quality boxing throughout. 

Conor Benn was the second, as it was totally unexpected, i wasnt even going to bother watching the show, then  that unfolded.

Two somewhat dodgy decisions as well.

• Paid Members

Last year was the most I've enjoyed boxing in over 15 years, or so. Every other month it felt like we were getting some massive fight.

I really loved Alvarez v GGG, as well. With GGG there is always the feeling a bomb can go off at any moment, but Canelo did a brilliant job towards the end winning a few rounds.

Even Mayweather v McGregor was better than it had any right to be. Hardly a classic, of course, but I thought McGregor would get proper embarrassed, but he had his moments.

Edited by ColinBollocks

• Paid Members

Mayweather/McGregor was anti-climatic for me in a strange way. He probably did better than he had any right too, but the way fans accepted that despite him not coming anywhere close to what he promised was baffling to me. Conor can do no wrong in the eyes of his fans. 

Not a FOTY but i loved the introduction of the World Boxing Super Series, it appears to have been a success and is going to be a yearly event, great stuff.

• Paid Members

first Matchroom show of the year tomorrow...

okolie_vs_chamberlain_2-530x317.jpg

If theres ever a fight that shows how healthy a state British boxing is in this is probably it. Two undefeated prospects, 9-0 & 7-0 and they've shifted over 8,000 tickets. Its pretty good going. 

• Paid Members
On 2/1/2018 at 1:25 PM, Egg Shen said:

Mayweather/McGregor was anti-climatic for me in a strange way. He probably did better than he had any right too, but the way fans accepted that despite him not coming anywhere close to what he promised was baffling to me. Conor can do no wrong in the eyes of his fans. 

Not a FOTY but i loved the introduction of the World Boxing Super Series, it appears to have been a success and is going to be a yearly event, great stuff.

Fair enough, but if, like me, you fully expected McGregor to get an absolute doing, it was a decent enough scrap. I noticed quite a few of the boxing pundits felt the same way; rock bottom expectations, but it was entertaining in the end.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Lion_of_the_Midlands said:

Who do you fancy in that Egg? I think Okolie likes the fight too much and that Chamberlain might just catch him out. It's an exciting fight and probably 50/50 But I just fancy Chamberlain. 

don't really have an opinion on it, ive seen Okolies fights but i cant recall seeing Chamberlain. The bookies have Okolie as a slight favorite though. The build up has been good though, im looking forward to it.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, ColinBollocks said:

Fair enough, but if, like me, you fully expected McGregor to get an absolute doing, it was a decent enough scrap. I noticed quite a few of the boxing pundits felt the same way; rock bottom expectations, but it was entertaining in the end.

Well yeh, im off that same kind of thinking myself.

Post fight everyone seemed to have the same kind of reaction and all said "well we knew all along he realisitcally wasnt going to win", yet it was those same people who lumped down something like 90% of the betting money on Conor, absolute lunacy. Regardless, the whole thing was a lot of fun.

Edited by Egg Shen

• Paid Members

Yeah, Floyd-Conor was insane in terms of the mania surrounding it. I'm pretty certain everyone on here maintained the position that Conor was going to lose convincingly, though. I'll admit, though, that I didn't expect him to lose quite like that, i.e. through exhaustion TKO. I thought he'd pace himself, and go the distance to get heavily out-pointed.