Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

In case anyone is interested, Sky Sports are showing Sergey Kovalev v Vyacheslav Shabranskyy on Saturday night from MSG. The action kicks of at 3am. I suspect Kovalev's fight will start around 5am.

Elsewhere, Eddie Hearn's impression of Joseph Parker's manager (David Higgins) at 2:50 in this video made me laugh - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRYohkZbNUY&t=168s

It looks like Joshua vs Parker might actually happen, if reports this morning are to be believed. Joshua isn't bullet-proof - as Parker's camp keep reminding everyone - but I would still bank on Joshua winning if the fight happens. I don't rate Parker that highly. Ruiz and Hughie "Shades of Ali" Fury both took him to the wire, and Takam give him some issues. He hasn't lived up to the hype (a few years ago Warren was claiming that Parker was the pick of the new-breed of Heavyweights) Provided Joshua doesn't run out of gas, and fights clever; he should be able to out-point Parker quite handily. 

• Paid Members
On 19/11/2017 at 4:43 PM, Rossman said:

A minutes probably 30 seconds too long!

Not really sure where Carl Frampton can go here. He did ok last night against a non ranked fighter but I can't really see him beating a world champion like Gary Russell Jr or Oscar Valdez. The fights may now happen as he certainly looked beatable, gassing in the second half of the fight.

I do think his career is mimicking Barry Mcguigan's now.

I nearly skipped this one but got it on this evening without seeing a spoiler. Very good fight despite Frampton looking pretty average, he was 1/100 on to win Saturday and despite the cards being wider than expected i thought he had it by a round, 2 at a push. I still want to know the full story behind the McGuigan split.

Tete's KO shot was ridiculous.

apparently the fastest KO in a World Title fight.

There were rumblings about the McGuigans and Frampton before they officially split. The lead up to the aborted Gutierrez fight was a complete mess; with Frampton missing weight and Gutierrez pulling out at the last hour due to slipping in the shower. It was a bit of a low point for both parties. I didn't expect them to eventually end up in court though. 

Elsewhere, the opposition wasn't anything to write home about, but Kovalev did the business on Saturday night.

• Paid Members

it's strange because they seemed so close, it almost felt like a father/son type thing, McGuigan always seems to be re-living his glory years through Frampton. Frampton was interviewed through IFL a month or so back and was very tight-lipped about the whole situation.

• Paid Members

First George Groves/Chris Eubank Jr. press conference yesterday, lots of media stuff floating about on youtube. They sold out the Manchester Arena in 7 minutes, cannot wait for this one.

edit: ive just watched the full press conference for the show and i know now why there's running gag that Kalle Sauerland is coked off his beak at these things. He looks right off it sitting in the middle of the table, i couldn't not look at him watching it.

Edited by Egg Shen

• Paid Members
On 02/12/2017 at 11:58 AM, wandshogun09 said:

Miguel Cotto vs Sadam Ali is on Box Nation from 2am tonight. Cotto's final fight. One of Boxing's good guys and one of my favourite fighters. Hope he gets to go out on a nice win. 

bit a surprise result in a real good fight. Cotto was heavily favoured with the bookies but from the opening bell you could see it was going to be an even kind of fight. Ali was a deserving winner having won arguably the last 5 rounds and hurting Cotto on at least 4 occasions. Tough to go out on a loss, but Cotto is still the man. It was revealed post-fight that Cotto suffered a torn bicep in round 7 which basically took away his best weapon.

nintchdbpict000370656332.jpg?strip=all&w

• Paid Members

Yeah, as losses go it was as good as he could've gone out under the circumstances. Of any retiring boxer, I'd have loved to see him go out on a win. But it was a good fight all the same. And I guess Ali gets the rub, to use a pro wrestling term, and can build from there. 

Is there any boxer you want to see get spanked more than Eubank Jr? I am not sure Groves is the man to do it. I can see him pressuring the fight then getting caught clean in about the 5th. Callum Smith however I think could give Jr. a lesson assuming he gets passed Braehmer which is by no means a given.

REALLY looking forward to Rigondeaux Vs. Lomachenko this weekend. I was hoping to be excited by DeGale but, nope, Truax is a poor choice of fight that no-one gives a flyer about.

• Paid Members

Yeah, you can keep your star ratings if it means having to suffer through a show that goes on forever. 30 was probably the last one that didn’t feel like a marathon. I can’t remember almost anything about the ones that followed it other than how long they took to watch. I had to go on Wikipedia just now to even remember what the last few Mania main events were. Triple H vs. Roman with the crowd muted. I’d forgotten about that. What a disaster. Turn him heel, for fucks sake.

Edited by Supremo

I dont mind Eubank Jnr, i fancy Groves to beat him on points though. The fact is Eubank has fought one decent ranked opponent and lost. He may have improved by then or may not have, we dont know as he has fought no one of note. 

If Groves boxes clever i believe he could make it an easy night with his reach and size advantage, but i think it will be close but Groves to win on points. 

Yeh the Rigo fight should be good, gotta fancy Lomachenko though. 

Degale needs a fight like this, coming back from injury and 3 tough fights on the road, he has earned a “gimme”. Bigger things lay ahead next year.