Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

i still aint seen it but sounds like the majority enjoyed the AJ fight they just hated the stoppage which looked a bit ridiculous. I need to see it in the context of the entire fight but Takam shipped a few shots and a ducking and weaving, not really sure why the ref stepped in? i understand saving someone from themselves and all that but it didn't look like Takam was in any real danger of being stopped, it's a heavyweight title fight for fuck sake. Interesting to see how AJ rebounds from having some of the first real negativity aimed at him.

Undercards on these huge AJ stadium shows are a tricky business, you could have an all time classic going on but the reaction would still be muted because everyone is there for a main event, on the flipside, if the undercard is poor on quality, the lack of crowd noise can make it unbearable at times, and it seems thats what happened last night.

• Paid Members

Yeah, the undercard fights just never caught fire either which didn't help. Whyte vs Helenius was shite. Yafai's fight wasn't much better really. Just one of them cards were the fights just didn't click for one reason or another.

Joshua vs Takam was fun though. I don't think AJ has anything to rebound from really. He dominated the whole thing. All he's guilty of is not bashing Takam out of there quick but people need to get used to it. You just can't do that every time. And given the late opponent switch and Takam's durability, I think it's harsh to criticise him. He performed well. It's a shame that the focus seems to be more on criticising Joshua than crediting Takam for his toughness. The stoppage was the only negative coming out of that fight and that's not Joshua's fault. He'll knock his next opponent over in 2 rounds and everyone will be on his dick again. 

Edited by wandshogun09

Was an ok main event, Takam earned whatever he was paid and then some. I can see him getting a few fights on future Matchroom cards on the back of that.

I’m not really sold on Whyte, i like him And think he’s ok, but Joshua would have no trouble with him in a rematch i think. Hopefully he will fight Chisora in February and Joshua fight Wilder, thats if Joshua doesnt have another manditory.

On 29/10/2017 at 5:45 PM, Egg Shen said:

i still aint seen it but sounds like the majority enjoyed the AJ fight they just hated the stoppage which looked a bit ridiculous. I need to see it in the context of the entire fight but Takam shipped a few shots and a ducking and weaving, not really sure why the ref stepped in?

In all honesty the official was itching to stop the fight from the point that Takam got cut above his eye. 

The optimist in me says that they were just looking out for a guy who was never looking like winning the fight, whilst the cynic in me says that they wanted him out because it looked increasingly as though AJ wasn't going to stop him.

20 wins, 19 KO's and 1 decision doesn't sound quite as sexy as a 20 knock outs in 20 fights record.

• Paid Members

:laugh: i've seen the conspiracy theories. What a barmy sport it is.

Hearn has one of his Monte Carlo shows this weekend, the lineup is actually pretty solid.

IMG_20170925_154421.jpg?fit=1600,800

Del Boy in a European Title fight, he's only a slight favorite so it seems a legit fight, hoping to see Del Boy motivated, but you never know what you're gonna get.

McDonnell/Solis is a rematch from late last year, McDonnell by all accounts was very luck to come away with a decision that night. I didn't see the fight but it's a legit World Title fight.

The main event is a bit of a head scratcher though, not sure who Bivol is but im assuming he's on there as some kind of promotional partnership, he's 1/200 on to win so it looks like a bit of farce of a fight really to be main eventing, i'll do some research.

• Paid Members

spot of heavyweight action across the pond too...

Wilder/Stiverne 2 goes down. It's one those classic boxing headfucks, Stiverne who remains the only man to take Wilder the distance gets a chance at reclaiming his title against the guy that beat him for it. Sound nice when you say it like that, but Stiverne hasn't fought in 2 years, he's basically in there because of the Luis Ortiz debacle but it's a weird situation, Wilder has stated he will retire if he loses. Undercard features two of AJ's victims, Dominic Breazeale vs. Eric Molina. I've come to like Breazeale, he hung tough against AJ and came through a fun brawl last time out, he talks a good game and could likely force a crack at Wilder if he wins, they have history too.

Good looking weekend.

6 hours ago, Egg Shen said:

Stiverne hasn't fought in 2 years,

And the last time he fought he got dropped by a journeyman, and only just scraped home on points. 

I'm not a big believer in Wilder. I think a fully-fit Tyson Fury would have an easy night against him. However, he should breeze past Stiverne again without much bother.

6 hours ago, Egg Shen said:

McDonnell by all accounts was very luck to come away with a decision that night.

No one that I have talked to felt that McDonnell won the first fight. 

• Paid Members

i quite like Stiverne though, but he reminds me of Del Boy in that he needs to be motivated otherwise he comes in lethargic. No idea what kind of frame of condition he'll be in but im hoping he at least comes in and has a go. 

• Paid Members

looked into that Bivol guy fighting on the Matchroom show, looks like it's a bit of a co-promotion with HBO, probably as part of Hearn's new Matchroom US deal. The Bivol fight is airing live on HBO, he's the latest in a line of hot prospect Russian fighters coming through from the amateurs, tipped to be the next big thing at Light Heayweight.

Stiverne said something similar at the press conference; "You fear for my life? I don't fear for your life, because I am going to kill you. If that is what it takes to win the title, then that is what I am going to do, and I am going to walk away with a smile on my face"

The video of said quote is linked below. The video is worth watching just for Don King. I can forget that King still exists. Stiverne is his only meal ticket these days. I do recall that before Stiverne's first fight with Wilder, King claimed that he wanted Stiverne to face Mike Tyson next if he won. It's like King still lives in time warp from the early 90's. If you watch the video, you will further know what I mean. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzz6LpwYm3s