Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

King actually looks in decent nick for 86. The fact that he's still plugging away at that age is just barmy. Why's he got one of those £2 light spinners in his hand though?

Actually looking forward to Wilder/Stiverne, the buildup stuff is distasteful but it gets the ol' juices flowing. Stiverne's attitude is filling me with confidence.

Yeh a ridiculous fight, if that what you can call it. Bring on Wilder/AJ forget Whyte. As uncoordinated as Wilder can look at times it would make a very interesting fight as he obviously hits hard and AJ can be caught.

Unmotivited Delboy again, well was pissed watching it, maybe he just wasnt good enough, he’s just threw away the Whyte rematch.

• Paid Members
On 05/11/2017 at 5:37 AM, jimufctna24 said:

Don King would have given Wilder a harder fight than Stiverne did this evening. 

fuck me, i avoided the result most of the week and finally watched it. Unbelievable. It was Haye/Audley levels of shite. No fault of Deontays.

Wilder for all his craziness and people ripping on his uncoordinated style, theres no denying he hits like a fucking truck, he can KO any man on the planet quite easily, including AJ. If Wilder fought more conventionally, he'd lose most of what makes him so dangerous.

• Paid Members

How's everyone seeing the Battle of Liams - Smith vs Williams going? I thought the first fight was shaping up to be a classic until the cut fucked it all up. In the long run though it's added to the story and I'm really looking forward to this rematch now. Tricky to call if you're looking at the first fight as well because Williams was winning early on before the cut but I think Smith was coming back into it. Definitely unfinished business and there's been a lot of talk back and forth. 

• Paid Members

For me it has FOTY written all over it. Im surprised Williams is the betting favorite because before stoppage in the first fight it did seem like Williams was fading fast. I want Williams to win though, he's great to watch.

Matchrooms first US show is on Sky tomorrow too in the wee hours...and Josh Taylor is fighting on 5.

Boxing_Poster_HBOWorldChampionshipBoxing

Edited by Egg Shen

Looking forward to see how the Matchroom promoted card in The US goes down. Jacobs opponent is quite charasmatic and for some reason have the thought he is going to do very well against Jacobs, ive only saw clips of him but he looks and sounds the part.

The Williams/Smith fight should be a great domestic tussle, both with something to prove. Smith has to start faster this time, if he does i fancy him to win it on points, id be suprised if it doesnt go all the way. 

• Paid Members

well, Williams/Smith was somewhat of a disappointment. It was far from a bad fight, maybe just didn't have the needle and intensity expected. I think the right man won despite me being on Team Williams. However, the fight was made worse by the unbearable commentary of John Rawling. What an out of date, negative and tiresome man to have in the booth. To go from listening to 3 guys losing their minds at UFC 217 to listening to Rawling moan and consistently seemingly apologise that the fight wasn't a classic (from the 2nd round) just rubbed me the wrong way. I shouted 'shut the fuck up' at the telly at one point. He ruined it for me. He literally had nothing constructive to say.

Edited by Egg Shen

• Paid Members

Yeah, I felt the same on the commentary. He was doing a spot on Jim Watt impression, wasn't he? Just miserable to listen to. It wasn't the best fight and I was really up for it going in, so it was a bit of a letdown. But nowhere near as bad as the commentary was making it seem. If you just listened to the audio of that you'd think it was Fury vs Chisora 2 levels of shite. 

• Paid Members

imagine being one of the fighters involved, putting that effort in and having that commentary left stamped over your efforts, i'd be fucking gutted.

Barry Jones was trying to counter Rawling by explaining why it wasn't playing out as expected but Rawling wouldn't stop. In round 11 i think he said it was a very poor performance by Williams, what a shocking thing to say.

British boxing is in a great place, but the commentary of their shows is just dreadful. Adam Smith on Sky is just as bad for different reasons (it's more he aint my cup of tea), at least he enthusiasm about him though and has a genuine respect for what's going on in the ring.

I really like Adam Smith. He's a great presenter. However, he isn't always great as a commentator. He and Froch were pretty dreadful during the Chisora fight a few weeks ago. They made out like Chisora had lost by a country mile, when really, it was quite close. Del Boy didn't deserve to win, but he wasn't dominated. The scorecards were quite fair in the end. Mind you, the commentary team of Jim Watt and Nick Halling that came before them didn't have many supporters either. 

I didn't see Smith vs Williams 2. I did manage to watch Josh Taylor's fight on Channel 5. It was a very impressive stoppage win, even if the fight was quite close before that. The highlight of the evening however was Barry McGuigan almost having a meltdown over people talking in the background during his interview: "could you shut up a second guys". 

Edited by jimufctna24

• Paid Members
6 hours ago, jimufctna24 said:

I really like Adam Smith. He's a great presenter. However, he isn't always great as a commentator. He and Froch were pretty dreadful during the Chisora fight a few weeks ago. They made out like Chisora had lost by a country mile, when really, it was quite close. Del Boy didn't deserve to win, but he wasn't dominated. The scorecards were quite fair in the end. Mind you, the commentary team of Jim Watt and Nick Halling that came before them didn't have many supporters either. 

I didn't see Smith vs Williams 2. I did manage to watch Josh Taylor's fight on Channel 5. It was a very impressive stoppage win, even if the fight was quite close before that. The highlight of the evening however was Barry McGuigan almost having a meltdown over people talking in the background during his interview: "could you shut up a second guys". 

Smith's near homo-erotic fixation on Jorge Linares during the Luke Campbell fight is the worst case of commentary ive heard though. I mentioned it when it happened but Smith was acting like it was some masterclass of boxing and that Campbell was simply out of his depth. In reality Linares was very lucky to hang on to his world title. It was even more baffling considering Campbell was the Brit in the fight.