Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

Eubank vs BJS was a close fight. BJS deserved the decision, but there was only a couple of rounds in it. Eubank left himself too much work to do in the second half of the fight. True enough, Eubank has not fought anyone elite since then, but he did look impressive against Arthur Abraham; a notable name even if he had seen better days. 

I still want Groves to beat him though. 

• Paid Members

Lomachenko/Rigo is gonna be a bit special tonight isnt it? quite rare to see the two guys widely seen as the best technical boxers on the planet face off. All predictions point at Lomachenko winning based on the size difference though.

Decent Warren card on BT tonight too, DeGale and Selby defending their titles and Anthony Yarde taking a bit of a step up, should be good.

• Paid Members

Really looking forward to Lomachenko vs Rigondeaux. Like seemingly everyone else I'm expecting Lomachenko's size advantage to give him the edge but Rigondeaux is a tricky little fucker and despite being smaller is still the best pure boxer Lomachenko will have faced. I'd never count him out of a fight. Such a great fight. Love how they match up.

I absolutely can't stomach James DeGale. Good fighter but such an irritating long faced dickhead. I saw a video recently which Kugan put up of DeGale and Groves having a 'confrontation' at a show and DeGale was absolutely unbearable in it. Kept asking Groves questions then cutting him off before he could reply, constantly calling him 'broke' and 'ugly boy' and shit like a petulant teenager. You can tell he thinks he's a good shit talker but it comes off crap. When someone can make George Groves come off as the babyface it speaks volumes what a dick they are. He's done an interview with Kugan as well where he's saying Eubank Sr was a shit fighter who fought nobody as well. Fair enough he did fight some shite (who hasn't?) but to ignore his performances vs Benn (who DeGale said was a true fighter, even though 'crap fighter' Eubank beat him. Figure that one out) and Watson, Wharton, Calzaghe on short notice etc is a bit silly. He wasn't fighting Dan Sherrys all the time. 

Edited by wandshogun09

• Paid Members

To be fair, in the interviews I've seen it's the media who have been asking DeGale about Groves and Eubank. DeGale's responding to that. He's getting sick of it by the looks of things, although those two are the biggest domestic fights out there for him currently. 

10 hours ago, TildeGuy~! said:

De Gales been calling out Groves and Eubank Jr recently, when a world champion is doing all the calling out you know he’s low on the scale.

Ha ha ha! Do you reckon those calls will be answered now after tonight?

• Paid Members

What about NoMaschenko then? Rigondeaux is a fantastic fighter but he just couldn't get anything done in this one. Partly the size and reach of Loma but mostly just the skill and movement, the speed and angles. Usually Rigondeaux has all those advantages but Lomachenko was able to match or better him everywhere. All Rigo could really do was to keep holding and try to land something on the inside or on the break. By the 5th you got the sense it was only going to get worse for Rigondeaux as it went on. You could see Rigo's frustration when he held onto that headlock thingy at the end of the 5th and then getting himself a point deducted in the 6th. Then at the end of the 6th it was all over. Wasn't the most exciting fight and the ending was deflating but it was engrossing while it lasted and it was an excellent performance from Lomachenko against a crafty and awkward opponent. To make someone like Rigondeaux basically say 'No Mas' on the stool like that? Nobody would've called that. 

DeGale looked a right plum, didn't he, after all the shite he talked. This was supposed to be a fight to keep him ticking over until something bigger next year with Groves or Eubank or whoever. His shoulder problems were a thing of the past, this would be a better James DeGale etc etc. And he loses. Ha. It was close but I had Truax winning as well. Thought it was the right decision as DeGale let it slip away by being too laid back at times. He'll still be talking rubbish after this though. He never stops. 

Thought Yarde looked the business.

Edited by wandshogun09

I fell asleep after the Selby fight. I woke up an hour later to find that DeGale had lost. DeGale has always had a tendency to doze off in fights. Even during his finest win against Dirrell, he dozed off for a good few rounds and allowed Dirrell back into the fight.

Rigpmdeaux claimed that he had a wrist injury after round 3. On Amercian TV, they scoffed at that excuse. Regardless, Lomachenko is the business. I really wish that I would have made the effort to attend the Olympics in 2012 - as I had planned to -  partially so I could have seen him win the Gold Medal. 

• Paid Members

Yeah, DeGale's a prick. 

The best thing George Groves has ever done - fuck the titles, nearly knocking out Froch, the massive crowd and payday for the Froch rematch at Wembley, balls to it all. The best thing Groves has done in Boxing is still his impression of DeGale on Ringside all those years ago. 

Skip to 7:55;

"With his stupid long headed face, he's gonna look like a horse falling at Cheltenham. You can have that one."

• Paid Members

Loma/Rigo was meant to be the showcase of the two greatest technical talents in boxing. It came off resembling a bit of farce. Rigo just had no business being in there. The old adage of 'a good big man always beats a good small man' was never so apparent. Loma actually seemed on a different level altogether, although i do believe he played up the holding the frustrate Rigo and get the ref on his side. He was doing that pulling back motion at times when Rigo wasn't even holding his arms. Rigo quitting on his stool was super disappointing. This probably tops Mayweather/McGregor as the biggest anti-climax of the year, not because Loma isn't amazing, but because it really didn't deliver what we expeceted.

Warren's show was a mixed bag.

DeGale's been threatening to lose a fight like that for years. Of all the British champions he's always made easier fights way harder than they need to be. Remember back before he won a world title, DeGale was having wars with guys he should have blown away in UK leisure centers. Not sure if it's complacency or over confidence but he never does it the easy way. Really glad Truax got the nod, i thought they were gonna rob him.

Lee Selby's defence was as dull as dishwater. Selby needs the Warrington fight badly, he's just stagnant at the moment. A near full Copperbox was practically silent for the whole fight on Saturday, it probably made a decent scrap seem much worse than it actually was. Selby just doesn't click with the public, he doesn't even click with the Welsh audiences, it's a shame. He needs the Warrington fight to at least drum up some interest.

Nice to see Anthony Yarde in a bit of a fight too, he came through with a stoppage in 4 but he arguably lost a couple of rounds before the stoppage. Exciting 2018 coming...

• Paid Members

heads up, but we got some mid-week boxing going down tomorrow.

Horn_Vs_Corcoran_960x540.0.jpg

Gary Corcoran gets a very unlikely world title down under. Corcoran might not win, but he'll bring it. Could be a fun fight.

Matchroom's York Hall show is tomorrow too, Katie Taylor headlines, undercard is a ton of Hearn prospects, lots have been shipped in off the Haye/Bellew card.