Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

I quite like the move, it sucks that it's another PPV deal but having big fights on youtube is pretty cool, it's just another platform to watch. I'm away tomorrow but if the hotel im at has a fast enough connection im probably gonna buy it.

• Paid Members
31 minutes ago, Egg Shen said:

I quite like the move, it sucks that it's another PPV deal but having big fights on youtube is pretty cool, it's just another platform to watch. I'm away tomorrow but if the hotel im at has a fast enough connection im probably gonna buy it.

I agree that (legal) online streaming is a good idea. It's just from a personal point of view, I struggle to keep myself interested when I watch on my laptop or tablet. In a perfect world, it would be available on normal TV ppv and online too(for those that are away from home, like your good self)...

• Paid Members
26 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

Can you order it via the YouTube app for Xbox or Playstation?  At least that way it'll be on the telly!

Thats a good point, I hadn't thought of that! 

Thats me in for a full night of boxing now...

The Luke Campbell fight was good lastnight, i felt Linares did look like he had another gear in him maybe at times, but a top fight. Campbell seems to start slow, thats something he needs to work on at top level. Campbell i would say is the top british lightweight. A fight between the winner of Crolla and Burns should be easy to make.

Eddie has signed Danny Jacobs as well. That's interesting. 

Mick Hennessy's meltdown last night was gold. It's on IFL if anyone wants to see it.

I had Hughie winning by 2 rounds. It was a very close fight, and the 118-110 scorecards were very dodgy. However, Mick didn't half overstate things. He claimed Hughie's performance was Ali-esque, and that he had wiped the floor with Parker. 

I felt Campbell won most of the middle rounds against Linares (rounds 4-10). However, I still scored it to Linares by 1 or 2 rounds based on his work in the first 3 rounds, including the knockdown, and the last 2 rounds. It was a fun fight. 

I wouldn't have given that to Fury if I was judge. He didn't box on the front foot enough, counter-jabbing and then running off isn't going to take the title away. Team Fury's faces were a picture when the MC said "And.......still the WBO." Joseph Parker is crap though, whoever gets him next will need to invest in a new belt cabinet.

I think Mick was in a rage because he knows he's lost his arse on the show. He was banking on Hughie winning to get some exposure but it all went tits up.

Love a bit of Jorge Linares. Especially the way he switches from body to head on attacks. Can't seem him beating Mikey Garcia though.

Carl Frampton picked Kudryashkov to win the whole thing last week despite him being an underdog in this fight...i may very well treble up, fuck it.

Hopefully you went the other way on all 3 fights! Kudryashov got starched in two rounds. He didn't look right at all, and that was before he was rolling around on the canvas.

Edited by Rossman

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, jimufctna24 said:

Mick Hennessy's meltdown last night was gold. It's on IFL if anyone wants to see it.

I had Hughie winning by 2 rounds. It was a very close fight, and the 118-110 scorecards were very dodgy. However, Mick didn't half overstate things. He claimed Hughie's performance was Ali-esque, and that he had wiped the floor with Parker. 

Even in a sport like boxing which is practically built on hyperbole, Hennessy's probably the king of overstatements. I'll never forget him proclaiming one of Tyson Fury's early fights on Channel 5, and I quote, "the British Hagler vs Hearns". 

John Fury's mad post-fight rant is worth watching as well if you haven't seen it; 

Few highlights;

"They've done everything but put a bullet through our fucking brains. And I don't wanna swear."

"I'M NOT A POLITICALLY CORRECT PERSON!"

"My son, they've messed his 'ead up. And they've tret him worse than any human being on this planet. And they've tret him worser than that. Any human being on the planet". 

"I'm gonna say to me brother, let's quit while we're an 'ead."

"We don't need money. 'Cause I can live on GRASS if I need to!"

"All I can say to these people is give your 'eads a wobble."

:laugh: 

• Paid Members

Just watched Fury/Parker. More scorecard controversy for me. I had to watch a French feed of the feed so i didn't have any kind of commentator bias and ive read nothing online post-fight because im avoiding the Campbell/Linares result but once the two 118-110 cards were read out i was sure Hughie had won it. I scored it 114-114 the same as the first judge but i had Fury winning going into the last two rounds. It was definitely a case of what you liked though, Hughie did what Tyson does where he stays behind a flicking jab and moves around a lot, it's scores but it does very little damage, he threw some classy right hands here and there but for the most part stuck to flicking out the jab and moving. Parker gave up trying to box with Hughie early and just barrelled forward and threw huge punches when Hughie hit the ropes, a lot of the time he wasn't really landing the big shots but the aggression was all Parker so i guess the judges favoured him being the guy looking to make it an actual fight.

I'll do some post-fight reading tomorrow after ive seen the other fights.

Plenty of boxing on the way the next few weeks. 

There's a nice little show on Sky Sports coming up on Saturday evening. Featuring Paul Butler vs Stuart Hall, and the undefeated Tom Farrell against Ohara Davis. I think Del Boy is on the bill as well. One week later, there is a clash. On Sky, there is a show headlined by Ricky Burns vs Anthony Crolla. While on ITV Box Office, they are asking for a tenner for Chris Eubank Jnr's first round bout in the super six tournament. I am going with the former. A week later ITV Box Office are asking for a tenner again to see George Groves take on Jamie Cox. I am tempted to buy that one. I've developed a soft spot for Groves. 

In other news, Frampton has signed with Warren and BT. That's a great signing for Fish Eyes. When your biggest name is Billie Joe Saunders, you know that you are in dire need of names. I am a bit surprised that Frampton has gone with Warren. When he was interviewed on IFL the other week, I got the impression that he was going to sign with Eddie. 

Edited by jimufctna24