Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

Yeah, it's a bit of a ballache. I know Bunce kept saying 'AT NO EXTRA COST TO BOX NATION SUBSCRIBERS' so I should've known. But I guess I just took that as 'if you get Box Nation, you get this fight included'. Didn't factor in the BT customers thing. 

Oh well. I'm going round my brother's in a bit to watch it. His Box Nation is on thank fuck. 

24 minutes ago, Fox Piss said:

The Saunders/Monroe fight going on at midnight is a absolute joke. I know Warren normally punishes us with his cards length but i thought BT would be on top of this. 

It worked out well for me, as I was watching the ITV show until 11pm. But yeah, Warren doesn't know how to pace his shows. 

Oh well, the night is young for those of us planning to watch GGG vs Canelo. 

Saunders fight was what i expected really.

GGG/Canelo was a very good but not a truly great fight. A lot if people are saying it was a robbery but i think it was a fair result. I gave Canelo rounds 1/2/10/11/12 then theres a few close ones what could have gone either way. If Canelo had an engine on him he'd be unstoppable. Canelo landing the more eye catching shots can sway the judges. GGG at 35 to fight the way he does for 12 rounds is amazing. Bring on the rematch and leave BJS out in the cold.

Golovkin clearly won by a couple of rounds. 118-110 for Canelo, that judge should be struck off immediately. Like when Canelo fought Mayweather and one judge scored it a draw. The cynic in me, says Golden Boy loads the judges in favour of Canelo.

Canelo was gassed by the middle rounds. He would hit a flurry for 90 seconds then run away for the next 90 seconds. He got his 2nd wind at the end to try and gain some coverage back. The post fight interview where Canelo thought he won 7 or 8 rounds, he didn't get Oscar's memo, you're supposed to say won 10 rounds.

Not surprised it went this way, everyone prior to the fight was saying GGG needs to win by KO otherwise he'd get done by the judges.  They were also jokes made that Adalaide Byrd (the worst judge in combat sports) would score the card 118 to 110 Canelo over a week ago on twitter

Edited by TildeGuy~!

118-110 was a ridiculous score but throughout the fight Canelo landed the cleaner my eye catching shots which can sway the judges. GGG was the more come forward fighter but he wasnt landing many telling blows. I can see why people think he won the fight by a few rounds but can also see why it was scored a draw. 

• Paid Members

I had Golovkin by a round. It was a razor close fight and like with any razor close fight you'll get the outcry of robbery/boxing is a joke/boxing is dead dopey talk after the fight. This wasn't Bradley vs Pacquiao 1 or Pacquiao vs Marquez 3 bad. I had it for GGG but I could see how someone could score it for Canelo, and I can see why it ended up a draw. 

But that 118-110 card is completely unjustifiable. Adalaide Byrd is rotten. It was her who scored the Mayweather vs Canelo shutout a draw as well. She's terrible. She either doesn't have a clue what she's doing or she's corrupt as fuck. And considering her two biggest and most high profile fuckups were in Canelo's two biggest career fights, I'm leaning towards the latter myself. Not accusing Canelo of anything, maybe it's a De La Hoya/Golden Boy thing where they have Byrd in their back pocket. Something is up because how else would a judge with such an awful track record of playing her cards wrong (RIP Brucie) keep getting assigned these huge fights? 

The crime here is that it was a fucking terrific fight and all anyone's going to talk about now is the decision and wonky judging. 

• Paid Members

Joe Rogan did a Fight Companion podcast for GGG vs Canelo. Should be worth a listen. 

I caught a snippet of it earlier and Rogan was going before the decision was announced 'Brendan Schaub told me that unless Golovkin stops Canelo or completely dominates him then he might get robbed by the judges'. Then when the draw was announced Rogan was going 'Well, Brendan Schaub called it. Brendan Schaub is a SAGE! He's a SAGE!' 

Eh? Are we pretending Schaub's a boxing insider now? Wasn't it a fairly common line of thinking going in that if GGG didn't the KO there might be some controversial scorecards? He didn't call anything crazy, did he? 

I had it 7 rounds to 5 in GGG's favour. Canelo was quite fortunate to get a draw, but it wasn't a horrible decision. Canelo won rounds 1, 2, 11, and 12. You could also argue that he won 1 or 2 other rounds. Canelo didn't do enough to make a reasonable argument that he should get the nod; but he did just enough to scrape a draw if the judges were feeling generous towards him.

Regarding the 118-110 scorecard; was it incompetence or was there something awry? This has happened before with Canelo fights. One judge gave him a draw against Floyd, which he didn't deserve. I also read on Eastside Boxing that one of the scorecards for his fight against Lara was lopsided in his favour, and a bit dodgy. 

Edited by jimufctna24