Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

7 hours ago, wandshogun09 said:

But that 118-110 card is completely unjustifiable. Adalaide Byrd is rotten. It was her who scored the Mayweather vs Canelo shutout a draw as well. She's terrible. She either doesn't have a clue what she's doing or she's corrupt as fuck. And considering her two biggest and most high profile fuckups were in Canelo's two biggest career fights, I'm leaning towards the latter myself. Not accusing Canelo of anything, maybe it's a De La Hoya/Golden Boy thing where they have Byrd in their back pocket. Something is up because how else would a judge with such an awful track record of playing her cards wrong (RIP Brucie) keep getting assigned these huge fights? 

That was CJ Ross. She first scored the Pacquiao / Bradley fight for Bradley. Then had Mayweather / Canelo as a draw. Thankfully she has retired / been sacked as a judge.

58 minutes ago, Rossman said:

That was CJ Ross. She first scored the Pacquiao / Bradley fight for Bradley. Then had Mayweather / Canelo as a draw. Thankfully she has retired / been sacked as a judge.

Ah, thanks for that, I was getting them confused as I was sure Byrd had been retired.

I had a fair few quid on Canelo to win by decision but even with a bit of bias in respect to that still had it 115-113 to GGG.

Strong argument for Canelo winning the opening two and final two but aside from that it was one way traffic. Even the round(s) where Canelo threw that massive uppercut and huge right hook it was still alll Golovkin.

• Paid Members

Canelo deserves plaudits for taking it to the charging GGG, in the last few rounds. IIRC, it was the 4th where Canelo seemed to be becoming a little overwhelmed by the pressure of Canelo; a Terminator in human form. GGG looked to be taking the fight away, but Canelo, taking advice from his corner, came out swinging in the last 3. If he didn't the judges result definitely would have been completely dodgy. The last three are what made it super tight, in the end.

Can't wait for the rematch.

3 minutes ago, ColinBollocks said:

Canelo deserves plaudits for taking it to the charging GGG, in the last few rounds. IIRC, it was the 4th where Canelo seemed to be becoming a little overwhelmed by the pressure of Canelo; a Terminator in human form. GGG looked to be taking the fight away, but Canelo, taking advice from his corner, came out swinging in the last 3. If he didn't the judges result definitely would have been completely dodgy. The last three are what made it super tight, in the end.

Can't wait for the rematch.

Has the rematch been formally announced yet? I kinda thought that maybe Canelo wouldn't be keen on it, as he seems to have gotten away without a loss the first time around. Not sure he'd be so lucky next time around.

• Paid Members

I think it's got to happen, otherwise Canelo loses a lot of face with his Mexican fanbase. Plus, Golden Boy / HBO and co are surely going to be pushing him into it. It's a much bigger fight now.

Logically, it does, but I guess this is boxing, so who knows. 

Edited by ColinBollocks

• Paid Members

There was a report (I think it might have been the Mail Online) on Adalaide Byrd being suspended, and Oscar De La Hoya being Canelo's manager and being ready to invoke the rematch clause straight away. Haven't seen that bit reported anywhere else though.

• Paid Members

I get why they'd go straight into rematch but I agreed with Amir Khan after the fight when he said that, given how many hard shots they both took in the fight, he'd like to see them both take a bit of a tune-up before they go again. I'd be up for Golovkin bashing up Billy Jean while Canelo blasts through some other unfortunate on the same bill. Then do the rematch on the big Cinco de Mayo  weekend next year.